What is your Favoright martial art weapon?

OP
K

Kirk

I'm gonna hafta go with the kali stick. It can be substituted
for, really well. Like with a cane, or umbrella, have a pool
cue. I think I'll carry a cane with me next time I fly. I wonder
how a.p. security handle that one, does anybody know?
hehehe .. grab the cane away when you're not lookin .. if you
fall, then you can take it with you on the plane LOL.

OP
K

Kirk

One more post to get promoted, WOOHOO!!! :ninja:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not sure how ap security are today but a while back all they would do is examin the cane or possibly run it through the x-ray if it was not conceling anything else they let you carry it on.
Walking with a limp helps

OP
B

brianbarton

Some may say, it's not the weapon. It's what you do with your weapon.

OP
R

Rubber Ducky

Brian Barton,

are these the same people that say that size doesn't matter? :p

Pierre

OP
B

brianbarton

Yes,

..... and can I say I am not of this thinking.

Brian

OP
M

Ms J

I have been known to have some very strong opinions about weapons and the opinions about the training in them on a professional level. I tend to be sort of a rebel and many dont understand at times, where i come from because i cover so many different perspectives when i do go out there with my opinions.

Now one of the core programs i teach is called weapons 101 the concept here is that everything is a weapon.... so this time I am not going to be talking about what is practical on the streets or what is the most deadly thing I should carry, because that’s business. I do that for a living and favorite and what is neesacarly the best for the streets is not the same to me as favorate.

And because this is about my favorite weapon…This is cool because I am going to give this from a very selfish one-sided view of what my favorite weapon is right now on a personal level.

Traditional weapons and the art part that goes with learning how to handle the weapon for me is on a strictly selfish level of personal choice and joy....

Out of all the toys, i have. Weapons i have touched and trained with, or had in my hands to admire and have bonded with...

My favorite weapon right now is my little Kris daga. The Kris and its shape make it distinct from any other single edged and double-edged blade. Its blade is double edged, and wavy, this allows easy blood flow from an inflicted wound.

The dagger was traditionally a sacrificial weapon. it was used throughout the Southern Philippines historically, its origins are by some said to be Malay.

In the Philippines, there are many different kinds of Kris; each region that produced Kris blades had a different number of waves in the blade, lengths and styles of waves giving each region there own markings of distinction to their weapons.

I love the Kris, from sword length blades to the smaller daga length, as the one i enjoy fully now in private solo training.

The blade on my Kris runs 8 inches long, the tip to end length with handle is around 11 1/2 inches to 12 inches long.

This is one of those cool weapons that sort of fell into my hands, I was not out looking for it, but just sort had it handed to me, and once it was put in my hand it suited me and seems to have been meant for me...

Actully, I have never bought any of my weapons. Other then, sticks for teaching and training others with. On a personal level… Over the past 28 years since I was given my first real weapon. All of them have been gifts or sort of showed up…

I dont have a clean single picture of the knife but, their is a picture of me holding this blade on my website on my organizations bio pages.

I am told i look somewhat evil with it in my hand...:) Personally for me, though it is a lovely weapon, I really enjoy it right now, and the flow I am getting with it in solo training.

Note: 3 years ago I was in love with this black short ninja sword, that I would strap on my back and then hide from my friends and jump them from the dark with as they entered my pad………:)
IE: friends. All trained in weapons arts and having too much fun surviving my unexpected attacks…

now I am just hiding out with the Kris and pinning them to the wall facing its edge… hey they need the training………:)
and I need the fun…

Ms. J……

"When i am an old women, I do not want them to say,
"She is such a charming old women"
I would rather them say,
" Be carfull that old women is armed and Dangerous!!!!!!!"

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Since I get in trouble calling my wife's cooking a weapon. i will have to say the gray matter between my ears is my favorite weapon. And I don't mean the lint.

OP
T

TLH3rdDan

hummmm favorite weapon thats a tuff choice... lets see for just plain stopping power my .45... for all other practical instances where im not allowed to carry my gun i prefer my cold steel folding tanto... as far as a traditional martial arts weapon i studied so many it is hard to narrow it down to just one so ill give my top 5.... katana, three section staff, butterfly swords, nunchaku, and tiger hook swords.

OP
K

Knifehand

I thought for a long time that the Bong would be a great weapon to use, for i have never used one. but we had a Nunchuku class and i was floored with them. I went out the next day and bought a practice pair and started practicing with them. I love them... they are really easy to learn to use and they have many uses.

Here are my Top Five:

1) Samurai Katana
2) Nunchuku/Bong
3) Bong/Nunchuku (depends on situation for both, either 2nd or 3rd for both)
4) Kama
5) Sythe(s)

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Despairbear said:
Greetings All,

Here is a question for you; What is you favoright martial art weapon and why?

Things to consiter; cost, carrying legality, concealability, applicability in street use, elegance, fun, tradition, etc......

At my dojo we have recently started to train with the cane, I am rather impressed with it as a weapon. And the ablity to carry it anywhere is a great bonus. But I think I enjoy the WMA war sword a little more in practice. Who knows.....

From a looks/forms standpoint, I've always loved the Tiger Hook swords. Never learned them, but they look sweet! :)

Overall favorite? would be a tie between the rattan stick, and the Kerambit (spelling may vary).

The stick is more realistic, as a makeshift one can be found just about anywhere. It's application is effective, and can be non-lethal. The Kerambit is a very subtle weapon, and is easily concealed. Legality comes into play very quickly, but all weapons will if brandished in a useful manner.

:D

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The stick is more realistic, as a makeshift one can be found just about anywhere. It's application is effective, and can be non-lethal. The Kerambit is a very subtle weapon, and is easily concealed. Legality comes into play very quickly, but all weapons will if brandished in a useful manner.
That is why I love it sooo much!! The forms for it look cool too in competition.

Chizikunbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Despairbear said:
Greetings All,

Here is a question for you; What is you favoright martial art weapon and why?

Things to consiter; cost, carrying legality, concealability, applicability in street use, elegance, fun, tradition, etc......

At my dojo we have recently started to train with the cane, I am rather impressed with it as a weapon. And the ablity to carry it anywhere is a great bonus. But I think I enjoy the WMA war sword a little more in practice. Who knows.....

Despair Bear
Definatly CHIZIKUNBO, it is small, letha, legal to carry, easily concealable, pretty cheap as well s elagent, with rich traditio and technique, extremly effective!

variance

White Belt
Reaction score
:: Practice / Just for Fun / ::

1. Jian/Gim (I have a extremely sharp custom 1050/T10 hand forged/folded jian)

2. Three Section Staff.

3. Sword and Dagger/Gauntlet

Fuzzy Foot

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
For tradition and elegance: katana
For practicality: escrima stick
For fun/exercise: nunchaku
And I know you didn't necessarily ask this but since others mentioned it, for self defense in today's world: A sig in 40 S&W, 45 ACP or any flavor 357 mag.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Throwing stars (with enhanced edges if need be), fired from a range of four to five feet, with a tactical folder in the left hand holding the reserve shuriken. To be used against the guy in the parkade who thinks he owns you because he has a knife or a baseball bat. Carry four stars in your weak-side hand and move in on the assailant, throwing at his face from about six feet away in rapid succession. Followup when in close range is up to you.

Latest Discussions