Training in a Shaolin Temple?

W

wayne

I am currently travelling around Asia. And i have read of "martial arts academy's " in China (from an interview with jacky chan in EAST MAGAZINE) and i was wondering if anyone had ever done this or is doing this currently at the momment.

I want to go for a year or so and i would appreciate it if someone could give me an address or more information on this subject.

Any advice is appreciated.

wayne

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hope you're not referring to the type of place Jackie Chan spent his youth in. Those places were created to train entertainers, and the training involved acting, acrobatics, dancing, singing,and martial arts. The students of these types of schools usually train at the schools for almost their entire childhood. It is certainly not the type of place a Westerner can waltz into and hope to train.

I suggest doing much more research on the subject.

Cthulhu

OP
N

nathan_sau

Yeah i agree dont get sucked into ita all just because your in china, you need to really research what your getting yourself into first.

OP
T

tonbo

.....you CAN train in villages in China, and will be welcomed there, but if you are trying to train *seriously*, you will need something along the lines of a letter of introduction from a former student, your main instructor, or something similar. In other words, you gotta be connected.

From what I have heard, you can train in the Shaolin Temple, but it is mostly for show, and you won't get any serious insights there. The Temple has become much more commercialized.

Also, if you want to train in China, be prepared to get very frustrated. It is said that training abroad is much different from training in the US, and most asian "masters" won't even teach you anything until they have done a thorough assessment of your skills to this point. Even then, they may not feel you are "up to par", and may only give you superficial training.

I have not experienced this personally, but this is compiled from various articles and interviews that I have read from people who have trained abroad. You may also want to check out "Iron and Silk" by Mark Salzman, who describes training in China. Again, never read it, but I heard it is pretty on the mark.

Good luck!!

Peace--

OP
L

LanceWildcat1

At Shaolin, they don't actually train in the temple, but outside the temple grounds.:)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by LanceWildcat1

At Shaolin, they don't actually train in the temple, but outside the temple grounds.

This issue is being debated in the Chinese Martial Arts-General forum.

themartiala

White Belt
Reaction score
I am currently travelling around Asia. And i have read of "martial arts academy's " in China (from an interview with jacky chan in EAST MAGAZINE) and i was wondering if anyone had ever done this or is doing this currently at the momment.

I want to go for a year or so and i would appreciate it if someone could give me an address or more information on this subject.

wayne

Good evening, I really get a lot from these forums. Good reading

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

wayne

I think Wayne is talking about a martial art school that Jackie Chan is setting up. I read about it awhile back, about him wanting top students to come train in China in multiple arts or something..... I dont really know enough about it. Is this what you meant Wayne? Anyone know anything more?

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Laurentkd, I hope you realize that this topic is about 6 years old? ;).

Yikes!
It was high up on my list, but I see now it is because of some post from a banned user today (don't know how that happened!)

Guess I just ASumed the entire thread was current.

well, er, never mind then! :)

Latest Discussions