What is your criteria for naming a successor?

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you were in a situation where you needed to pick a successor for your art, what would your criteria be?

Would you pick one of your children as your successor, regardless of their training and abilities? Would you pick your highest ranked student, even if you or they have taken the art in a different direction over the years? Would you pick the student who you felt best represents the requisites of the art, even if they had a lot less experience (in comparison to your senior students)? Is it possible to pick more than one successor or does that just cause problems?

This is purely hypothetical; I'm just curious to hear what everyone's thoughts are on this.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My successor would be my Three wonderful son's they have no choice they will do as they are told or be beemed up to heaven where I would hit them with a sidekick to remember who is the real boss.
Terry

All kidding aside my son hopefully will carry on the tradition.
terry

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Odd question...(thinking, thinking, thinking). I'd have to go with the person I feels best represents the style, has contributed the most, and is at least a godan. But still an odd question. And I have heard of styles that have more the one head of style. But that is normaly when it was created. And styles like that I notice tend to try to have just one.

Sweet Brighit Bless your Blade,

John

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The successor need not be the most technically skilled, the strongest, etc.

As long as the would-be successor is in the same ballpark as the most senior senseis of the style, and if the would-be successor commands the respect of his or her peers, then in today's society, it should work out just fine. Still, there might be some styles that have people who will not accept a certain person for whatever reasons, whether they be significant or trivial.

As for having more than one successor, well, it's not always a pretty sight, and can have some pretty unpleasant results. Sometimes, having more than one succesor can happen when there is turmoil within the system.

Just as an example, when the founder of a certain martial arts style passed away, he had passed the style down to his daughter, who was extremely well-qualified to become the menkyo-kaiden, being a 9th dan, and all, and certainly having earned the respect of her peers. At the time, the style's sole remaining 10th dan didn't like this idea, and decided to declare himself the menkyo-kaiden, claiming seniority.

What happened was a nasty split of the style into two factions. Some supported the 9th dan as the rightful heir, since that's what the soke had wanted, while others decided it was better to back the seniormost student. Needless to say, there still remains a lot of hard feelings, and I can only hope that the right thing will be done in the end.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Grenadier has a good point. And I recall hearing somewere about a style of Burmese Boxing that was created by masters of three styles. They couldn't decide who would be head master (they all wanted someone else to have the honour). In the end they decided they liked the idea of just having three heads of styles, and lift it as is. From what I recall they left it that way, each master picked there own follow up. But I don't recall much else, and I'm not even sure about that, so don't quote me. o.k.?
And Grenadier, what's the name of the style you're talking about? If you don't mind my asking.

Sweet Brighit Bless your Blade,

John

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
green meanie said:
If you were in a situation where you needed to pick a successor for your art, what would your criteria be?

Would you pick one of your children as your successor, regardless of their training and abilities? Would you pick your highest ranked student, even if you or they have taken the art in a different direction over the years? Would you pick the student who you felt best represents the requisites of the art, even if they had a lot less experience (in comparison to your senior students)? Is it possible to pick more than one successor or does that just cause problems?

This is purely hypothetical; I'm just curious to hear what everyone's thoughts are on this.
humble and hard working...
humble is rare tho!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Because my sons have learne with me and I have given to them knowledge that most of my students have not got yet i would hope that one of them would take over if i passed away. One of them kmows where all my notes are and ha access to all my videos now

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
green meanie said:

I expect to not have children So that would be a no.

I do not expect any of my nieces or nephews to have the same passion I do. So Family would not be expected nor required.

Highest rank may not be the issue as well, only becuase you said they may have moved on.

Longest training with me or someone does not make them the best either. Nor would the oldest, based upon just those qualities.

I would look for someone who has the passion and who has the knowledge, and who is capable of learning more and teaching what they have and what they can/shall learn.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Today most of the martials arts is a business first than anything else. Most of heads will want someone in there family to take over, like any other private business.

This often leads to separation of some of the high ranking people and they end up opening their own schools/systems. Isn't this so common now days?

Can some of you name these schools and styles? Has this happen in your martial art school?..............................Aloha

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wally Jay was going to leave his art to four successors, but I think he changed his mind.

People split off anyway--I'm not sure how much it really matters.

Latest Discussions