What is with these cops?

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12272586?source=email

Former Golden firefighter dies in Florida after being shot by deputies

"Aronberg, based on an investigation by his office into the shooting, said he believes Adkins answered the door to police with a cellphone in one hand, he was on the line with a friend, and a rifle tucked under his other arm, so he could open the door with a free hand.

"He was calling his friend and they were talking to each other on the phone," Aronberg said. "He was depressed and he was potentially suicidal."

Deputies shot Adkins "without sufficient warning," Aronberg said. "I'm thinking one of the young cops got anxious, saw the shotgun and started shooting," he said."
"Shortly after he died, V.J. Adkins went to her son's room to pay her "last respects" but police had the room cordoned off and wouldn't let her in, Aronberg said.

"They're calling it a crime scene and saying it is protocol," Aronberg said. "She is completely distraught about the whole situation."

Authorities initially charged Adkins with with two counts of attempted murder on a law enforcement officer with a weapon, but those charges were reduced to aggravated assault.
Sheriff's office spokesman Deputy Eric Davis said this morning that the hospital room was sealed because Adkins "was still in our custody."

----

And it turns out he never fired any shots. The other cop whose shield was hit with a bullet, was shot by another cop!

Well he won't try to commit suicide now I guess.

Deaf

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't know enough yet to form a definitive opinion, but I have some questions...

What had the responding police officers been told? Seems to me if the cops heard he was 'armed and dangerous' and the guy comes to the door pointing a shotgun at them..... how much time is there to react? The decedent may have mostly himself to blame.

What's with charging the dead guy with felonies? How's he going to enter a plea? A seance?

Wouldn't there have to be an autopsy? Is so, that could be why the police want nobody in the room until the coroner is done?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to the article, the deputies responded to a report of an armed, suicidal subject. That subject then answers the door juggling a phone and shotgun.

Exactly how much warning were the deputies supposed to give the guy with the shotgun? We don't know how it was presented to them...

Yeah, there's a lot of information not given -- but somehow, I don't exactly feel terrible about the guy getting shot.

And I'm sorry that the mother couldn't get into the room -- but it was part of the crime scene.

Regarding the charges -- it looks like they were placed before the guy died. I presume they were also amended/reduced prior to his death.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No we don't know how it was presented to the police at the scene it is true.

However, can you explain to me how a dead man gets charged with anything and, with how it's been reported so far, people are not going to make conclusions on their own (wrong or otherwise)?

I clearly will have very differnt opinions on this from my friends across the water as our police still (thank the gods) do not routinely carry firearms in the pursuit of their duties. So, I shall hold my peace until more is known (but, yes, to my shame, I am prejudging men I do not know in a situation I was not in because of my perception of the culture they live in).

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No we don't know how it was presented to the police at the scene it is true.

However, can you explain to me how a dead man gets charged with anything and, with how it's been reported so far, people are not going to make conclusions on their own (wrong or otherwise)?

I clearly will have very differnt opinions on this from my friends across the water as our police still (thank the gods) do not routinely carry firearms in the pursuit of their duties. So, I shall hold my peace until more is known (but, yes, to my shame, I am prejudging men I do not know in a situation I was not in because of my perception of the culture they live in).
A retired Golden firefighter who was shot by sheriff's deputies at his home in Florida died this morning as a result of his injuries.
Dallas Adkins Jr., 59, was shot March 4 by Palm Beach County deputies after neighbors called 911 to report Adkins was armed and threatening suicide

Authorities initially charged Adkins with with two counts of attempted murder on a law enforcement officer with a weapon, but those charges were reduced to aggravated assault.

Based on the parts of the article quoted above, I would say that he was charged with assault on an officer the night of the shooting. As the investigation progressed, and the ballistics showed that he didn't shoot -- the charges were reduced. He was probably technically on bond, and thus is still monitored by the sheriff's office.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you read the article, the guy was not killed on the scene...he was shot and taken to the hospital where he died at a later time.

It is routine to file charges while a suspect is in the hospital even if the odds of survival look slim. I doubt they filed charges after he was dead.

Sounds like a "suicide by cop" to me.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most of the statements in the story are from the Adkins family's attorney, who is suing the department for wrongful death.

What is seemingly presented as a statement of fact is that the police were alerted to the situation at Mr. Adkins home because neighbors called to report a man was armed and suicidal.

There is absolutely no guarantee that this man would not have shot another person, intentionally or unintentionally.

How did the neighbors know that he was armed and suicidal? Was Adkins and his firearm was making enough of a disturbance in the neighborhood that scared some folks in to calling 911?

Prayers for the family as they struggle with their loss.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i didn't mean the above to come off as calloused as that sounded. i just meant i hope it's what he wanted, & it wasn't just a cry for help.

jf

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, until the scene is investigated, yes, I can understand why it was blocked off. There could have been something in that room, ie: suicide notes, etc. that could help in the investigation.

Its easy to armchair QB this, but think about it....lets put ourselves in the shoes of the cops for a moment. I'm not saying that the cops were right or wrong, but I don't think that anyone should start pointing fingers until more of the story comes to light. Could the cops have backed up, drew their weapons and told him to put the gun down? Who knows. As it was said, when you're faced with a situation like that, there isn't much time to think about anything.

It would also be interesting to know how many times the police have been to that house in the past, for what reasons, and if there were attempts or threats of suicide, what was the nature of them.

Reaction score
Source seems a bit biased. Then again so am I. A suicidal guy with a gun appears with the potential to harm myself and others. That's how I'd see and that's how I'd respond. Mind you I'm not a trained cop and so don't know what procedures to follow.

Latest Discussions