What is the marketing budget of different martial arts schools?

Sharon Bennett

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm a social media marketer and videographer, and I just recently opened a business in my city. (I had a business in another state that was getting off the ground, but I had to move for personal reasons).

I am thinking about selecting martial arts schools as my target market, since I am very passionate about martial arts and I know it's really changed my life in a positive way. I'd love to help advertise schools because I feel like martial arts can be life changing.

My only concern is that I know a lot of martial arts schools struggle. I know that it's not uncommon for martial arts school/dojo owners to not make a living off of it. Those that do, often don't make much...

So I am wondering, what is the marketing budget and the revenue of an average martial arts school? Also what is the marketing budget and revenue of a martial arts school that is doing really well?

Any help with this would be appreciated.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't know what's "average", since martial arts schools range from small non-profit clubs that meet in a church basement all the way to wildly successful 1000-member commercial schools.

Small clubs probably have effectively no marketing budget. The club-type programs I'm familiar with have, like, a Facebook page, and maybe they hand out flyers or do some demonstrations at community events. Their revenue is probably just enough to pay to rent their space.

Part-time commercial schools probably have a 5-figure revenue, and are likely spending most of it on rent and paying the instructor a part-time job wage. They probably have a simple website, have invested in having a logo professionally done, had a sign made up, and maybe do a Groupon and boost some posts on Facebook.

A full-time but small commercial school probably has about 1.5-3 staff members, and is making a gross revenue in the low-to-mid six-figures. They probably have a somewhat nicer website, and are likely spending some money on Facebook/Google/IG ads, which they've linked up to landing pages to get people to sign up for a trial or more info. They've got processes worked out better. They've probably got a decent camera and take some photos and videos of the school to promote it online, but mostly do that in-house.

There are levels beyond that, up to the really big chains and single-location schools with 1,000 members and whatnot.

For what it's worth, the school I manage is in the last group that I actually described. I can't tell you much about the next levels because we haven't gotten there yet lol.

But for small schools, you're probably looking at something like $200-500/month marketing budget. Just to give you a rough figure.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I could be mistaken, because I'm not in charge of any of the finances of the school, but I don't think we market. When my Master opened the school (well before my time) a lot of students followed him over, and ever since then it's been a combination of word-of-mouth and people googling "Martial Arts schools near me."

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Even though your post is from a few years back, your passion for supporting martial arts schools remains timeless. Your desire to use your skills in social media marketing and videography to make a positive impact on this community is truly commendable.
Welcome to MartialTalk, Craig. :)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Understanding the financial landscape of martial arts schools is crucial for targeting your marketing efforts effectively. While budgets and revenues can vary widely depending on factors like location, size, and reputation, it's helpful to do some research and gather data specific to your area.
Great point -- any advice or tips on how a school can do that or how much they should be spending?

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know what's "average", since martial arts schools range from small non-profit clubs that meet in a church basement all the way to wildly successful 1000-member commercial schools.

Small clubs probably have effectively no marketing budget. The club-type programs I'm familiar with have, like, a Facebook page, and maybe they hand out flyers or do some demonstrations at community events. Their revenue is probably just enough to pay to rent their space.

Part-time commercial schools probably have a 5-figure revenue, and are likely spending most of it on rent and paying the instructor a part-time job wage. They probably have a simple website, have invested in having a logo professionally done, had a sign made up, and maybe do a Groupon and boost some posts on Facebook.

A full-time but small commercial school probably has about 1.5-3 staff members, and is making a gross revenue in the low-to-mid six-figures. They probably have a somewhat nicer website, and are likely spending some money on Facebook/Google/IG ads, which they've linked up to landing pages to get people to sign up for a trial or more info. They've got processes worked out better. They've probably got a decent camera and take some photos and videos of the school to promote it online, but mostly do that in-house.

There are levels beyond that, up to the really big chains and single-location schools with 1,000 members and whatnot.

For what it's worth, the school I manage is in the last group that I actually described. I can't tell you much about the next levels because we haven't gotten there yet lol.

But for small schools, you're probably looking at something like $200-500/month marketing budget. Just to give you a rough figure.
I agree with this.
The exceptions I see it that most active business owners (of any business type) know how to (or know someone who does) use social media, SEO, make good/great photos and how to spam off competitors advertising to use the ideas for themselves. In this respect, the playing field is closer to level. One thing I see quite often is the exchange of services to augment advertising.

The latter processes you mentioned are as much about efficiency as marketing IMHO.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Zero budget I have 4-8 students at a given time. Basement of my home, donation based. Under 100 a month. Advert on free platforms, social media.

Latest Discussions