Becoming an instructor/ school owner

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm not a teacher or instructor, but our dojo(s) are set up more along the lines of what Chris and Paul are talking about.

My aikido dojo (Aikido of Rochester) is a satellite dojo of the Twin Cities Aikido Center (TCAC). We are a not for profit entity. So is our main dojo. None of the instructors at either location teach full time. My primary Sensei is actually an attorney. While TCAC maintains their own space, we rent space from the local martial arts place and simply rent the mat.

My Iaido dojo is also a not for profit entity and is more of a club being a koryu sword art. They rent space from the TCAC.

So I practice with 3 different entities, all of them non profit with none of them having full time instructors.

Mike

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So that's why you need collateral.

That would depend on whether you are taking a loan out that required collateral, not all loans do. It depends on the amount borrowed, sometimes a guarantor is required rather than collateral. You may have investors or someone willing to be a partner, there's a lot of ways you can start a business without collateral.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
two things, I wanted to hear discussion on what makes a great instructor and on running a successful martial arts business. I think My concerns have been addressed well enough.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
perhaps an additional question is required, what separates instructors into the average, the good and the great?
Someone a lot smarter than I am explained it better than I ever could:

“The mediocre teacher tells.
The good teacher explains.
The superior teacher demonstrates.
The great teacher inspires.”

Latest Discussions