What is the "best" martial-art?

zzj

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is probably not going to end well....

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you have any wrestling experience? If not, you may want to give it a try. You've got great timing and footwork in avoiding leg takedowns and countering your opponents. Good shooting too. My only criticism is don't leave that lead leg out so far, unless of course you're doing it to bait your opponent in.

I see a ton of guys teaching takedown defense. 99% of it is crap. Yours in quite good (with the caveat that the lead leg is left that far forward intentionally).

Oh yeah... Watch out for that wall at around :30.
My only criticism is don't leave that lead leg out so far, unless of course you're doing it to bait your opponent in.
Good eyes because that is exactly happening with that leg.

As for the wall, that was a bad day for me. I had the leg but had to bail out because I saw the wall and that resulted in me injuring my back. The student actually counters my leg grab at the same time I bail out and that's what sends me flying into the wall. He starts his counter when he starts to wrap his arms around me with the goal of forcing me to carry all of his weight through that one leg. It took over 4 months to heal from that. My partner made an initial mistake of trying to hit me as I was coming in.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're wrong, qualified means exactly that.
No. To YOU, "qualified" means properly trained and good with kids so that they can teach children. To me, qualified may mean a limited endorsement of someone or something, or someone who met the minimum passing score on a firing range, or someone with the proper credentials to do something. None of that automatically makes them good at it...

QUOTATION: “When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.”
ATTRIBUTION: LEWIS CARROLL (Charles L. Dodgson), Through the Looking-Glass, chapter 6, p. 205 (1934). First published in 1872.​

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for that -- it's great to see members practicing, and it looks good to me!
Thanks.

No. To YOU, "qualified" means properly trained and good with kids so that they can teach children.
If he means this then that's where my confusion is. The term qualified is very broad. A person can past a martial arts test and be qualified for knowing the techniques. But he may not know how to apply the applications in a fight, which makes him unqualified for teaching how to apply it in a real fight. He can also be qualified in both areas and be a horrible teacher. We see this in the education system where teachers have the knowledge but are just horrible teachers. Just because a college professor is excellent at teaching adults, doesn't mean that he or she will be excellent in teaching kids, nor does it mean that they have the patience or will to do so.

Martial arts is like that as well, so in my mind "Qualified" is segmented into 2 groups.
1. Knowledge of Content
2. The ability to teach the content in a way that students will learn.

No matter how much of #1 a person has, If they can't accomplish #2 then nothing can be learned. Which is the same end result of not having Knowledge of content.

Hopefully this is where the confusion lies in this discussion with JKS9199

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LEWIS CARROLL (Charles L. Dodgson),

His father was a vicar at Croft just up the road from me, then Archdeacon of Richmond our nearst town. Charles Dodgson started school here in the same school my son went to.

That invokes images of too much black leather.....

Ah, you've seen my riding boots then and yes I have a selection of whips... well we are a horsey family lol

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
...here's my answer: For young kids, get them involved in the closest school that's close to home. Period. Any qualified instructor will guide their studies. Idea is discipline, structure, and learning to focus. Young kids have difficulty focusing their energy because they have ALOT of it. Qualified instructors can help, immensely.
Unless the martial art they teach sucks and you don't want your kids to get beat up in the locker room.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

If he means this then that's where my confusion is. The term qualified is very broad. A person can past a martial arts test and be qualified for knowing the techniques. But he may not know how to apply the applications in a fight, which makes him unqualified for teaching how to apply it in a real fight. He can also be qualified in both areas and be a horrible teacher. We see this in the education system where teachers have the knowledge but are just horrible teachers. Just because a college professor is excellent at teaching adults, doesn't mean that he or she will be excellent in teaching kids, nor does it mean that they have the patience or will to do so.

Martial arts is like that as well, so in my mind "Qualified" is segmented into 2 groups.
1. Knowledge of Content
2. The ability to teach the content in a way that students will learn.

No matter how much of #1 a person has, If they can't accomplish #2 then nothing can be learned. Which is the same end result of not having Knowledge of content.

Hopefully this is where the confusion lies in this discussion with JKS9199

That makes a lot of sense, in a rather confusing thread to me. Don't take a lot. The penultimate paragraph, that I like. Symmetry.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I'm good I'm good, when I'm bad I'm even better. :angelic:
b48615f7b04a380b3276b5ea68caf718.jpg

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Latest Discussions