What is the "best" martial-art?

DavidThomas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
...here's my answer: For young kids, get them involved in the closest school that's close to home. Period. Any qualified instructor will guide their studies. Idea is discipline, structure, and learning to focus. Young kids have difficulty focusing their energy because they have ALOT of it. Qualified instructors can help, immensely.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably not. The closest school may well not be the best and not all 'qualified' instructors are equal, many are terrible.
Better to check out all the places available, see what they teach and HOW they teach. Are they just after your money or do they care about what they teach. Do they have six year old 'black belts', do they have special groups that you have to pay extra to train with. I could go on here... a lot but it's bedtime here and I'm sure there's plenty others can add. :)

I will say welcome to MT though as well why don't you post, say hi and tell us about yourself in the 'Meet and Greet' section? :)

OP
D

DavidThomas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Probably not. The closest school may well not be the best and not all 'qualified' instructors are equal, many are terrible.
Better to check out all the places available, see what they teach and HOW they teach. Are they just after your money or do they care about what they teach. Do they have six year old 'black belts', do they have special groups that you have to pay extra to train with. I could go on here... a lot but it's bedtime here and I'm sure there's plenty others can add. :)

I will say welcome to MT though as well why don't you post, say hi and tell us about yourself in the 'Meet and Greet' section? :)

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Like Tez says, the nearest school to your house could be total ****, so shop around. That doesn't mean you need to drive your kid to Timbuktu in search of the perfect martial art, though - there is a balance to be found. Any decently-sized town or city probably has at least 2-3 schools that 1) teach kids and 2) are convenient enough to make classes part of your regular weekly schedule. Go check them out.

OP
D

DavidThomas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Like Tez says, the nearest school to your house could be total ****, so shop around. That doesn't mean you need to drive your kid to Timbuktu in search of the perfect martial art, though - there is a balance to be found. Any decently-sized town or city probably has at least 2-3 schools that 1) teach kids and 2) are convenient enough to make classes part of your regular weekly schedule. Go check them out.

OP
D

DavidThomas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I

I will say welcome to MT though as well why don't you post, say hi and tell us about yourself in the 'Meet and Greet' section? :)[/QUOTE

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...here's my answer: For young kids, get them involved in the closest school that's close to home. Period. Any qualified instructor will guide their studies. Idea is discipline, structure, and learning to focus. Young kids have difficulty focusing their energy because they have ALOT of it. Qualified instructors can help, immensely.
The school instructor has to be good with kids as well. I'm teaching a 5 year old and I have to use stickers a reference for left and right hands. I also have to use it as a reference to hit with the back of the hand. Trying to put kung fu in a language that a 5 year old can understand is difficult. Her first punching bag may be a balloon. In order to keep a focus needed for functional kicking and punching

OP
D

DavidThomas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Dude, its martial arts for children,, chill man

OP
D

DavidThomas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The school instructor has to be good with kids as well. I'm teaching a 5 year old and I have to use stickers a reference for left and right hands. I also have to use it as a reference to hit with the back of the hand. Trying to put kung fu in a language that a 5 year old can understand is difficult. Her first punching bag may be a balloon. In order to keep a focus needed for functional kicking and punching
So what's your point?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're wrong, qualified means exactly that.

Oh really? On paper, I am abundantly qualified to teach human physiology. Does that mean I am automatically a good teacher?
One of my colleagues has an MPH, an MD, and a PhD in virology. He does a fine job as a clinician and as a researcher. He is a terrible teacher.

OP
D

DavidThomas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Oh really? On paper, I am abundantly qualified to teach human physiology. Does that mean I am automatically a good teacher?
One of my colleagues has an MPH, an MD, and a PhD in virology. He does a fine job as a clinician and as a researcher. He is a terrible teacher.
Semantics, dude, I ain't argui
Who mentioned a colleague of yours?

OP
D

DavidThomas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Latest Discussions