What IS Patriotism?

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks so far to everyone who has contributed. And most importantly keeping it civil :rolleyes: Remember there is really no right or wrong answer to this particular question because it means so many different things.

I would like to see instead of quotations to have YOUR opinion and/or view point to the question. If you agree with a quotation of someone then at least state why this one strikes a particular chord.

What I'm looking for is what Archangel posted... a diverse view points... but of MT-ers many of whom I consider my peers. :asian:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To be a patriot is to experience the moment while contemplating and looking to the future well being of your country. To seize the moment and the day in hopes of enriching the future. To do what may be looked upon by many as wrong knowing in your hart it is the correct thing to do to ensure that the country will be better for it. To give of your hart and maybe your life with consideration for not yourself but for the country

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
With a lot of time on my hands I watch movies quite a bit. Some repeatedly. Tonight just finished "We Were Soldiers".
Watched a few of the "deleted scenes"... this one... had relevance to this thread... something to consider....

Col. Moore is being debriefed by Gen. Westmoreland and Sec of Defense MacNamara in Saigon after the "victory" where 79 American soldiers died against 1800+ Vietnamese soldiers.
Moore was being praised and applauded by both of these men of state. He was informed that they're going to recommend another 40,000 troops be called into Vietnam based on Moore's victory.
The following dialogue takes place (whether if it's factual, verbatum or not... it was poignantly written)

Westmoreland: We're requesting 40,000 more troops, and because of what your men have proven, we think the president will look favorably on our request. We'll run these little bastards back home.
Moore: Sir, (pauses) they pushed 2000 men through artillery and napalm, and they came willingly. They charged the muzzles of our rifles, and we took them hand to hand any way we could. And we won. We won. Hell, we slaughtered 'em. But they didn't see it that way. They just retreat, and then they come again.
We won't run the little bastards back home sir.... they are home.

What IS Patriotism?

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Speaking of that movie and about Patriotism and about heros. You dont have to be born here to be an American....

http://www.rickrescorla.com/

I suspect that he’s waiting now, down in Fiddler’s Green—“halfway down the trail to hell,” where all cavalrymen pull off the road for a drink—composing his next bawdy ballad and telling those men from his platoon whom he last saw in the Ia Drang what they missed over the past 30-plus years. He’ll be telling them lies, of course, but they will be magnificent glowing lies, and every one of them will have a punch line to bring tears to your eyes. Shoot, he’s probably tending the bar by now.

“…So after you read this, get your canteen cup, / And fill it with mead, or scotch, or rotgut, / Then pour it right out, on the ground, on the floor, / For the heart of the Seventh, Rescorla’s no more. / Garry Owen.”

Let Bacchus' sons be not dismayed
But join with me, each jovial blade
Come, drink and sing and lend your aid
To help me with the chorus:

Chorus
Instead of spa, we'll drink brown ale
And pay the reckoning on the nail;
No man for debt shall go to jail
From Garryowen in glory.

We'll beat the bailiffs out of fun,
We'll make the mayor and sheriffs run
We are the boys no man dares dun