What is NOT being talked about in regards to the Duck Dynasty controversy

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For any given statement, stance, religion, or lifestyle you can find a group of people who are in support and a group of people who object. I love my country in that we can all live here together.

Coker101

Orange Belt
Reaction score
How politically correct can our society be if people are listening to rap songs about drug use and having gratuitous sex with promiscuous women (with big butts)? You're ranting about political correctness even as you give an example of something that isn't PC. Giving some mixed signals here. Just as you're ranting about freedom of speech and then suggesting that your point isn't about freedom of speech. I'm just trying to follow you.

My personal opinion is that whenever someone starts going on about political correctness, it usually boils down to, "You guys aren't offended by the things that I find offensive and it makes me sad." You're offended by rap music. Fine. Knock yourself out. Other people are offended by this guy.
The guy on Duck Dynasty's freedom of speech was in no way impinged by Malakalumu's voicing of his own opinions. Well, I don't know. Bigotry is actually pretty easy to identify objectively. LOL. Again with the rap music. So, are you going to own up to your own hypocrisy? For what it's worth, I think you're perfectly entitled to have whatever opinion about rap music you want, even if you're doing exactly the same thing to an entire genre of music that you're accusing the OP of doing to your religion. Which media? Do you mean Fox News? Or the Wall Street Journal? Or Breitbart, Drudge, or... Oh... wait. You mean the media you DON'T like... I get it...:) Might be a good idea. I get fed up in the Study fairly often and take frequent breaks.

At work so short replies here.

Somehow speaking incredibly disrespectful and occasionally violent about women is ok as long as it’s in a rap song but as soon as a Christian quotes the Bible about acts of homosexuality being a sin then it’s an act of bigotry and all over the news as if some terrible crime had been committed. I think there is a double standard in there somewhere. And this is the typical attitude of the majority of the media with the exception of a few. And by the way the only major media outlets you mentions were Fox and The Wall Street Journal, the others are more of an underground media source. If you’re trying to suggest that that there are as many “right” leaning media sources as there are “left” you’re are in some serious denial.

The rap music was just an example of the double standard, I’m not all hung up on it or anything....though when people drive by blasting it from their car and my daughter hears it, it’s a bit aggravating. But again the OP is suggesting that Christianity is the source of prejudice, bullying and violence yet it teaches none of those things. I just used rap music as an example of something that brags about all of those issues.....but no one’s complaining about that. Again this was just the first example that came to mind.

I’m not being a hypocrite in my example of rap music, just stating the facts...and yes most rap music is exactly what I said it was. I grew up on that crap....I remember when “gangster rap” started because I was a teen at the time. It would seem to me that kids listening to this kind of “music” would lead to more prejudice, bullying and violence than the Christian faith especially considering the New Testament is about love and forgiveness. So why are people demonizing the Christian faith? I don’t get it....

In the end I love everyone of every color and sexual preference and yes even those rap “artist” that say terrible things in their “music”. And this is supposed to be the attitude of all Christians because it’s what’s taught in the Bible. So yeah saying that “Christianity is the source of prejudice, bullying and violence” really rubs me the wrong way...that’s not what we are about.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score

"Lord Give Me A Sign"

[Intro:]
Yeah..Uh
In the name of Jesus
(that's right)
No weapon formed against me shall prosper
(preach)
And every tongue that shall rise against me in judgment thou shalt condemn
(preach)
(Lord give me a sign)
For this is the heritage of the servants of the Lord
(preach)
and their righteousness is of me, saith the Lord.
(preach)
Amen

[Verse 1]
Lord Give me a Sign!
I really need to talk to you Lord
Since the last time we talked the walk has been hard
Now I know you haven't left me
But I feel like I'm alone
I'm a big boy now but I'm still not grown
And I'm still going through it
Pain and the hurt
Soaking up trouble like rain in the dirt
And I know!
Only I can stop the rain
Wit just the mention of my saviors name
IN THE NAME OF JESUS!
Devil I rebuke you for what I go through
And trying make me do what I used to
But all that stops right here
As long as the Lords in my life I will have no fear
I will know no pain from the light to the dark
I will show no shame spit it right from the heart
Cause its right from the start
But you held me down
And ain't nothing they can tell me now
Lord give me a sign!

[Hook:]
Let me know whats on your mind
Let me know what I'm gone find
It's all in time
Show me how to teach the mind
Show me how to reach the blind
Lord give me a sign!

Show me what I got to do
To bring me closer to you
Cause I'm gonna go through
What ever you want me to
Just let me know what to do
Lord give me a sign!

[Verse 2:]
Please show me something
I'm tired of talking to him
Knowing he fronting
Crying bout life ain't nothing
But you either be the one mad cause you trapped, or the one hunting
Trapped in your own mind waiting on the Lord
Or hunting wit the word that cuts like a sword
The spoken word is stronger than the strongest man
Carries the whole world like the strongest hand
Through the trials and tribulations you never let us down
JESUS!
I know your here with us now
JESUS!
I know your still wit us now
Keep it real wit us now
I wanna feel show me how
Let me take your hand, guide me
Ill walk slow but stay right beside me
Devil's tryna find me
Hide me, hold up I take that back
Protect me and give me the strength to fight back!

It's all in time
Lord give me a sign!

Show me what I got to do
What ever you want me to
Lord give me a sign!

[Verse 3:]
Life or death
Live or die
I will never live a lie
I'm going there cause I try
I wont quit until I die
I'm gone make it wrong or right
Make it through the darkest night
When the morning comes you'll see
All I have is God in me
(Lord give me a sign!)

[Outro:]
In the name of Jesus
Lord give me a sign
Amen

DMX

Last edited by a moderator:

Coker101

Orange Belt
Reaction score

"Lord Give Me A Sign"

[Intro:]
Yeah..Uh
In the name of Jesus
(that's right)
(preach)
And every tongue that shall rise against me in judgment thou shalt condemn
(preach)
(Lord give me a sign)
(preach)
and their righteousness is of me, saith the Lord.
(preach)
Amen

[Verse 1]
Lord Give me a Sign!
I really need to talk to you Lord
Since the last time we talked the walk has been hard
Now I know you haven't left me
But I feel like I'm alone
I'm a big boy now but I'm still not grown
And I'm still going through it
Pain and the hurt
Soaking up trouble like rain in the dirt
And I know!
Only I can stop the rain
Wit just the mention of my saviors name
IN THE NAME OF JESUS!
Devil I rebuke you for what I go through
And trying make me do what I used to
But all that stops right here
As long as the Lords in my life I will have no fear
I will know no pain from the light to the dark
I will show no shame spit it right from the heart
Cause its right from the start
But you held me down
And ain't nothing they can tell me now
Lord give me a sign!

It's all in time
Lord give me a sign!

Show me what I got to do
What ever you want me to
Lord give me a sign!

[Verse 2:]
Please show me something
I'm tired of talking to him
Knowing he fronting
Crying bout life ain't nothing
But you either be the one mad cause you trapped, or the one hunting
Trapped in your own mind waiting on the Lord
Or hunting wit the word that cuts like a sword
The spoken word is stronger than the strongest man
Carries the whole world like the strongest hand
Through the trials and tribulations you never let us down
JESUS!
I know your here with us now
JESUS!
I know your still wit us now
Keep it real wit us now
I wanna feel show me how
Let me take your hand, guide me
Ill walk slow but stay right beside me
Devil's tryna find me
Hide me, hold up I take that back
Protect me and give me the strength to fight back!

It's all in time
Lord give me a sign!

Show me what I got to do
What ever you want me to
Lord give me a sign!

[Verse 3:]
Life or death
Live or die
I will never live a lie
I'm going there cause I try
I wont quit until I die
I'm gone make it wrong or right
Make it through the darkest night
When the morning comes you'll see
All I have is God in me
(Lord give me a sign!)

[Outro:]
In the name of Jesus
Lord give me a sign
Amen

DMX

lol...not sure what you're trying to show here but there are a ton of songs from him that I can't even post the lyrics because I would be banned. The one you posted I'm guessing is the only one of it's kind from him. I could hundreds if not thousands of song exactly like I said.

Here you go....feel free to sift through here and find as many songs as you like from him that are similar to the one you posted. Good luck with that. :)

http://ohhla.com/YFA_dmx.html

Besides I don't want to get wrapped up in the whole rap thing, it was used more as an example...that's it. :)

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is a good example of a young man who is reaching out in his life and through his music for something greater than himself namely Christian faith. I actually feel the same as you regarding rap music and I don't normally like it at all. But when I read your post about it this song popped into my head! ;) The point is that people grow and change throughout their life. Sometimes what is called for is simple patience and understanding for people who don't necessarily see the world the same as we do, not judgement.

Coker101

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I agee but I was not judging at all. Just pointing out that rap music for example would seem to be a lot more likely to cause the issues the OP was talking about.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
At work so short replies here.

Somehow speaking incredibly disrespectful and occasionally violent about women is ok as long as it’s in a rap song but as soon as a Christian quotes the Bible about acts of homosexuality being a sin then it’s an act of bigotry and all over the news as if some terrible crime had been committed. I think there is a double standard in there somewhere. And this is the typical attitude of the majority of the media with the exception of a few. And by the way the only major media outlets you mentions were Fox and The Wall Street Journal, the others are more of an underground media source. If you’re trying to suggest that that there are as many “right” leaning media sources as there are “left” you’re are in some serious denial.

The rap music was just an example of the double standard, I’m not all hung up on it or anything....though when people drive by blasting it from their car and my daughter hears it, it’s a bit aggravating. But again the OP is suggesting that Christianity is the source of prejudice, bullying and violence yet it teaches none of those things. I just used rap music as an example of something that brags about all of those issues.....but no one’s complaining about that. Again this was just the first example that came to mind.

I’m not being a hypocrite in my example of rap music, just stating the facts...and yes most rap music is exactly what I said it was. I grew up on that crap....I remember when “gangster rap” started because I was a teen at the time. It would seem to me that kids listening to this kind of “music” would lead to more prejudice, bullying and violence than the Christian faith especially considering the New Testament is about love and forgiveness. So why are people demonizing the Christian faith? I don’t get it....

In the end I love everyone of every color and sexual preference and yes even those rap “artist” that say terrible things in their “music”. And this is supposed to be the attitude of all Christians because it’s what’s taught in the Bible. So yeah saying that “Christianity is the source of prejudice, bullying and violence” really rubs me the wrong way...that’s not what we are about.
For what it's worth, I was also a teen in the 80s, and one of a minority of white kids at a predominately black, urban school. But that's kind of beside the point.

The point is that "Political Correctness" is really about what offends other people that doesn't offend you. My opinion is that political correctness is nonsense. You are offended by rap music. Fine. Your opinion is perfectly valid. But, to others you're just being politically correct. Other people are offended by the stuff said by the duck dynasty guy. You're not. It's the same thing.

The phrase, "None of us is as dumb as all of us," comes to mind. I like a LOT of rap. I always have. I don't care for all of it, but I'm reluctant to discount an entire genre of music with such a broad brush. It is easy to point to just about every other genre of popular music and identify the same themes. There is a reason, after all, that the saying isn't, "Sex, Drugs and Hip Hop." The things you point out are definitely a part of a sub-culture within rap/hip hop, but the themes are not present in every song, presented by every artist and aren't representative of the entire genre.

In exactly the same way, I would be reluctant to paint an entire religion with such a broad brush. There are many themes present within the Christian faith. Identifying those themes and addressing them isn't the same thing as saying, "All Christians are bigots."

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"Political Correctness" is really more about a self-imposed "censorship lite" out of fear of offending some group.

...regardless of if it actually offends anybody or not.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
"Political Correctness" is really more about a self-imposed "censorship lite" out of fear of offending some group.

I disagree. Whenever someone points out what they think is PC, they're usually just saying, "That doesn't offend me, and so it shouldn't offend you."

regarding rap, just a plug for a group I like, Nappy Roots. Generally positive, and they don't glorify gangs, thuggery or violence against anyone. There are some drug references, but they're not the focus and I'd argue less overt than in most popular songs regardless of genre. Good Day is my favorite.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mr Webster thinks:

politically correct

adjective: agreeing with the idea that people should be careful to not use language or behave in a way that could offend a particular group of people

: conforming to a belief that language and practices which could offend political sensibilities (as in matters of sex or race) should be eliminated

...what people mean when THEY use the term could be anything.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I know I do it. For example, over the recent holiday season I felt more compelled to wish people a "Merry Christmas" rather than "Happy Holidays" so as to not offend some of the more think skinned yet belligerent types that take offense at the perfectly fine phrase 'Happy Holidays.'

Coker101

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I know I do it. For example, over the recent holiday season I felt more compelled to wish people a "Merry Christmas" rather than "Happy Holidays" so as to not offend some of the more think skinned yet belligerent types that take offense at the perfectly fine phrase 'Happy Holidays.'

I worked at a place some 4 or 5 years ago that would not let management use the phrase "marry Christmas"...regular employees could but management could not. I remember right before the last day of work before Christmas our bosses boss came around and told everyone "Happy Holidays" and I repeatedly said "marry Christmas" trying to get him to say it....lol, he wouldn't.

But then again this was a pretty big company (pipeline) and they were so over the top it was just stupid. We even had to go to "diversity training"....as if everyone were so stupid they would have no idea that racial/religious/whatever attacks might be offensive to someone.

They also went on a hiring freeze for white males...kid you not. My boss told me he was told to sift through resumes and to only interview people who he thought were minorities or females. Our group ended up hiring 2 females and 3 black guys. All of them were great people too and two of them ended up being good friends of mine. But I was floored they went as far as to purposely not hire white men. Guess they had a quota to fill, I don't know.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Interestingly, though, those same people would accuse you of being politically correct if you DID say, "Happy Holidays." Damned if you do.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
They also went on a hiring freeze for white males...kid you not. My boss told me he was told to sift through resumes and to only interview people who he thought were minorities or females. Our group ended up hiring 2 females and 3 black guys. All of them were great people too and two of them ended up being good friends of mine. But I was floored they went as far as to purposely not hire white men. Guess they had a quota to fill, I don't know.
If true and as blatant as it sounds, your boss and your old company are lucky that none of the white, male applicants chose to pursue a claim.

Coker101

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I disagree. Whenever someone points out what they think is PC, they're usually just saying, "That doesn't offend me, and so it shouldn't offend you."

regarding rap, just a plug for a group I like, Nappy Roots. Generally positive, and they don't glorify gangs, thuggery or violence against anyone. There are some drug references, but they're not the focus and I'd argue less overt than in most popular songs regardless of genre. Good Day is my favorite.

I have to admit they are pretty good. The second song reminds me of Bone Thugs who I loved back in the day. First song is also good...the guy in the green shirt at the beginning sounds a lot like Ice Cube from back in the day.

I was a huge 2Pac and Biggie fan....but then the anger and violence in 2Pac's music started to turn me off. Then the sex talk from Biggie eventually turned me off too. Now I can't listen to either of them because of those things and no one has caught my attention enough to want to listen to rap since.

Coker101

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If true and as blatant as it sounds, your boss and your old company are lucky that none of the white, male applicants chose to pursue a claim.

I'm not sure. I don't know what the rules are now but I believe at the time, and it might still apply, that you had to have a % of minorities or you could be fined or not get some kind of tax write-off or some such stuff....I don't remember the exact situation.

Latest Discussions