What fiction book are you currently reading?

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
An anthology. 'The O. Henry Prize Stories 2002'

Was dropping stuff off at the town recycling shed, and of course...books always catch my eye. Picked it up, and couldn't put it down. I forgot how much I like short stories. I started reading 'Anthropology'...and it went home with me. :)

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The new Stephen Coonts book The Assassin
Pretty good so far, although, I'm lukewarm on Carmellini...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm reading the "Tales of the Otori" series. I just finished "Across the Nightingale Floor" for the second time, and I just started Book 2, "Grass for his Pillow."

I read those as well and it was a fun read in general. The first one across the nightingale floor is the best of them though.
icon6.gif

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Two Space War by David Grossman and Leo Frankowski.

Interesting read, puts lots of Grossman's work to "work" and on display in a fantasy/sci-fi setting.

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Conversations with the Devil, by Jeff Rovin.

I actually just finished it. Loved it.

Psychologist Sara Lynch believes that God and the Devil are constructs of the human mind to embody good and evil.

One of Sara's teenage patients hangs himself one gloomy fall evening. Sara enters his home, trespassing, and explores the boy's room and discovers that he was a Satanist. She steals a few artifacts from the boy's bedroom, including rites on how to conjure the Devil.

Sara cannot comprehend why the boy committed suicide as he wasn't suicidal. To get inside his mind, Sara decides she must feel what he felt. She attempts to raise the Devil...and she does.

Satan is after Sara's soul. He is relentless. This story has a few surprises at the end.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Finished: Black Ops: Biowar

Starting: Caribbean by James Mitchner
Post how you enjoy Caribbean. I really enjoyed The Source and Alaska by Mitchner. Would consider picking up another of his books. I enjoy his style and thoroughness.

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
THe Ghost Brigade by John Scalzi, just finished Old Man's War.....I'm liking his writing style, and the topic is interesting...Old Man's War starts with the main character turning 75, visiting his wife's grave, and joining the army.....it gets more interesting from there

If you like Heinlein...his style is reminsicent...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
THe Ghost Brigade by John Scalzi, just finished Old Man's War.....I'm liking his writing style, and the topic is interesting...Old Man's War starts with the main character turning 75, visiting his wife's grave, and joining the army.....it gets more interesting from there

If you like Heinlein...his style is reminsicent...
It's a great series; I just finished The Last Colony.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I jstu finished book 2 In The Haunted Lands Trilogy. Forgotten Realms setting. Undead by Richard Lee Byers. Very good. I am enjoying it, but now i have to wait for book 3 which doesn't come out until March 9th of 2009 :(

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Reading two books right now... book 2 of The Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant and book 7 of Harry Potter. Mainly because I don't have anything new to read around the house and canna afford something new. :idunno: They're great books anyway... just finished the LOTR trilogy.

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The Shapeshifter by Tony Hillerman. Navajo tribal policeman, Lt. Joe Leaphorn, is retired but ends up on a wild ride to find a detective friend who has gone missing in search of a 150 year-old Navajo rug. The rug had supposedly burned in a fire years ago at a Trading Post along with a serial killer.

Hard to put down!

Latest Discussions