What fiction book are you currently reading?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am reading the first book in a new teen series by Clive Barker called, Abarat I am only a few pages in; I will let you know how it goes.
Sean

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've just started reading Jim Butcher's Dresden Files novels. Its cheap and whorish writing... I got into this modern Fantasy thing recently with stuff like Charlie Huston's hardcore Vampire Noir novels and stuff like this feels light and fluffy by comparison.

Not that I am not enjoying them. :)

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've just started reading Jim Butcher's Dresden Files novels. Its cheap and whorish writing... I got into this modern Fantasy thing recently with stuff like Charlie Huston's hardcore Vampire Noir novels and stuff like this feels light and fluffy by comparison.

Not that I am not enjoying them. :)
Cheap and whorish has it's place, ask Charlie Sheen

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just started "Hard Magic" by Larry Correia, not bad. I was never into the 1930's as a time period, but he does make it interesting. I think this book shows that he has talent that may last a while.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
John Lecarre - A Most Wanted Man.

Lecarree is my favorite thriller/spy novel author after Fleming. He writes with such knowledge and lyrical beauty that he does dwarf Fleming in many ways, except one, he didnt create Bond. Lecarre's heros are real men, they have real lives, problems, foibles. Many of his books don't even have action, but such amazing edge of your seat dialouge that it blows you away.

A most wanted man is set in the Muslim community in Hamburg Germany in the wake of 9/11 seeing as some of the hijackers came from there. There are SS men trying to do the right thing and due diligence to find why their city is such a hotbed. There's also a young Muslim man with a dubious past who's moving through the community and nobody knows his real endgame ... but he's got lots of money.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Moore book with the sea monster jumping the tanker truck and leaving the whole town horny....good read, but somewhat inapropriate when you are sitting in the emergency room... :lol:

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Name of the Wind lived up to and exceeded the hype, IMNSHO. I can't wait to read the sequel.
Starting One Rough Man by Brad Taylor.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just picked up "The Bro Code" by Barney Stinson. A little lighthearted change from my usual fare. :)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think I'll have some light reading today:
Jeff Stone 'The five Ancestors' Book 6 'Mouse' (and book seven is in the wings, the only series so far I paid full price for at the store)

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Off Armageddon Reef by David Weber. Hmm, not sure if I will finish the book or not. Weber isn't the best framer of prose, at least as judged by this book. I am weary of all his characters using the same sentence structure... You'd think someone from 900 years ago as the protagonist is would talk differently from the current modern day characters. Weber is also overly fond of describing smiles, whether of the wry or half-only type.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
A bad Weber review? I've been really interested in getting into his work since I've spent some time away from sci-fi for a while. He certainly has a huge catalogue and I was thinking of jumping in, but I would like to hear more of your thoughts.

I wanted to get his book "Hell's Gate" because I love the idea of a fantasy setting meeting a modern military setting. Wizards and spells against machine guns and rocket launchers. It's the only book I can think of that blends modern military and fantasy that I'm aware of.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Granted Off Armageddon Reef is a very politically oriented book, so there's bound to be lots speeches and other dialogue. I guess that's why some of the quirks in Weber's writing is so noticeable. When you have umpteen characters pontificating about something and they all talk exactly the same...

Don't let me put you off from reading the book or any of Weber's other novels. He is entertaining, albeit not a master of crafty prose like perhaps a few select other authors can be.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rereading 7 Deadly Wonders by Matthew Reilly, 2 parts Indiana Jones, 1 part Tomb Raider.

Latest Discussions