What fiction book are you currently reading?

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Coming across a word I can't instantly pronounce drives me nuts. Thanks Ken.

Any time. It's like reading a book with lots of "foreign" names, just to make sense of it you kinda make up your own as you read it. Lots of Bobs, Robs, Stans, and Lynnes in War and Peace....

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just noticed this:

Gwenhwyfar

To help Don out, my first stab at this would be:

Guenn Hoo Eye Var

The pronunciation would vary depending on which part of Wales the speaker is from ... assuming that it is based on Welsh at all of course :lol:.

My aged and decayed brain says it means something like "The Blessed Ones" (or "The Pale/White Ones") but my Welsh was twenty five years, one bike accident and a fair bit of brain damage ago :eek:.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice!

I'm reading back through the thread to pick a couple books for this week.

Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy man...

Joe Abercrombie said:
Epic fantasy. Its all the same, no?
There’s a grumpy wizard, a deadly barbarian, a jumped-up nobleman and some feisty girl, more than likely. They’re all engaged in a mysterious quest to bring that from there, and they’re all made out of cardboard. Probably there’s a dark lord of some kind involved. They talk like extras from a bad soap opera. They fight like extras from a bad cop show. Probably there’s a prophecy, and a farmboy with mysterious parentage, and if not a magic tower, then certainly a strange tall building of some kind. There’ll be battles, there’ll be intrigue, and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if a magic sword came up somewhere along the way

I don’t need to read that again.

I want to read a fantasy with all the grit, and cruelty, and humour of real life. Where good and evil are a matter of where you stand, just like in the real world. I want dialogue that actually sounds like people talking, and action that actually feels like people fighting. I want magic and adventure, sure, but I want it to hurt. I want blood, sweat, and tears, and plenty of them. I want to read about characters as selfish, as flawed, as complicated, and as unpredictable as real people. I want a fantasy that can shock and surprise, amuse and horrify, delight and excite me, all at once.
I spent a long time looking, and I couldn’t find a set of books quite like that. So I thought I’d write some.
You like your fantasy with the edges left on?
Try The First Law.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks Cryo. Something else to read!

NP man. I tear thru books so I have a lot I could recommend.

The Joe Pitt Casebooks by Charlie Huston are a great read too... Think a gritty brutal streetwise Mickey Spillane style story about Vampires. It ain't your sparkly Vampire, or even your romantic "Lestat" type. Down and dirty and hardcore.

Actually, I have loved everything I read by Huston EXCEPT his most recent Novel, "Sleepless"

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Artemis Fowl (while the rest of the series resides in Young Adult, this was in adult fiction - go figure...)

But the name of the hero throws me, always.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is what I am reading now:
It's Superman - Tom DeHaven
Omar did it to me again...

Thanks, Omar

By the way, any investment strategies, foods, liquors or board games you want to recommend?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just finished Artemis Fowl.

At times it was so intense I had to put it down, afraid to keep reading :lfao:

And yes, it's YA lit....

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just finished Artemis Fowl.

At times it was so intense I had to put it down, afraid to keep reading :lfao:

And yes, it's YA lit....

You should read Charlie Higson's Young Bond series. When you talk about hair raising and at times uncomfortable to read, that's the series for you. By far some of the best post-Fleming work in the Bond series in my opinion. Not only is Higson well researched creating the childhood and teens of a man who's past is only hinted at and barley sketched in by Fleming (and to a lesser extent Gardner, who was one of the few of the following authors who seemed to care).

http://youngbonddossier.com/Young_Bond/Home.html

perceive

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Dan Simmons - Ilium. It's actually a re-read from a few years back but after this not much fiction for a while as I have a bunch of non-fiction books to go through.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You should read Charlie Higson's Young Bond series. When you talk about hair raising and at times uncomfortable to read, that's the series for you. By far some of the best post-Fleming work in the Bond series in my opinion. Not only is Higson well researched creating the childhood and teens of a man who's past is only hinted at and barley sketched in by Fleming (and to a lesser extent Gardner, who was one of the few of the following authors who seemed to care).

http://youngbonddossier.com/Young_Bond/Home.html

Pusher! ;)

:lfao:

(put on my search list)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dan Simmons - Ilium. It's actually a re-read from a few years back but after this not much fiction for a while as I have a bunch of non-fiction books to go through.

Is that the somewhat futuristic retelling of the Illiad?

perceive

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Is that the somewhat futuristic retelling of the Illiad?
Correct, basically turns the Iliad into a sci fi. With robots, Shakespeare and Proust for good measure.
About thirty pages left to go at the moment, then onto some of those martial arts books from my other thread that have turned up.