What do you wear to train?

What do you wear to train in?

• Japanese Style gi (wrap around style)

Votes: 117 61.3%
  • Traditional Chinese uniform (frog style buttons)

Votes: 10 5.2%
  • Traditional Vneck Korean uniform (TKD)

Votes: 26 13.6%
  • Hakama

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Aerobics/workout clothes

Votes: 45 23.6%
  • Street Clothes (jeans and stuff)

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • Other Traditional Clothing

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other non-traditional clothing

Votes: 26 13.6%
  • Shoes

Votes: 61 31.9%
  • No shoes

Votes: 77 40.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What do you wear to train in?

Multiple choices are allowed, but only pick items you wear REGULARLY.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I thought I saw this question somewhere else around here :confused:
Anyway since you asked, we wear the traditional TKD dobok V-neck top and pants and no shoes. During the summer months we're given the option of wearing the dojang's "official" t-shirt instead of the traditional V-neck top.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Black Military BDU pants with Tabi boots and Leg wraps, and a black t-shirt.

B

baronv

For Kenpo, just practicing forms, techniques, warm-ups: Workout pants, sneakers, T-shirt.

For Kung Fu, sparring: Ligh weight karate unform.

For Judo, randori: Heavy sign-weave gi

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I just quit (between dojangs), but I wore the traditional TKD V-neck dobok. Now it's my PJ's :D Well, I wear the dobok pants and t-shirt for home workouts to keep my training up till I find another dojang.

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Mon. i were a Black Gi for Arnis Class
as well as on Tues & Thurs Mornings

Tues. Night I were Shorts T Shirt , a Judo Gi Top & Wrestling Shoes,For Submisson Wrestling & Gi Grappling

Wed I wear Shorts & a T shirt for Wrestling

Thurs. Night is the Same As Tues.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I do Aikido

and that's :

Japanese Style Gi
Hakama
No shoes

Arnis, it's gi pants (black) and a t-shirt. Find the official clothing to "heavy". Sometimes I wear shoes, sometimes not.

/Yari

V

Venos-KSW

standard black century uniform (hate it)

bringing up the question, anyone know where I can get a full black, judo-style, heavy weave uniform (I have no idea what the proper names are for that style)?

I can't stand the heavy canvas type material that is used in the century ironman. so my instructor and I want black judo/juijitsu type gi's.

S

sweeper

call all the larger MA stores in your state, my brother got one at a MA store but he doesn't live in your state.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
bringing up the question, anyone know where I can get a full black, judo-style, heavy weave uniform (I have no idea what the proper names are for that style)?

I've got one of the Jukado Primos, and it is an excellent gi.

See: http://www.juka.com/uniform/jukado.htm#linkPrimo

I don't like the Ryoyo, it may be heavier duty, but I don't think it can stand up to heavy duty grappling like the fabric of the Primo can.

Hope that helps,

Lamont

EDIT: Holy @#$$, they are on sale for 46.71!!! see here

Y

yilisifu

Although it's a Chinese system, Yilichuan requires students to wear a fold-over front (karate style) jacket with appropriate training trousers (either straight-legged or bloused, as used in many Chinese systems). However, many of our members still wear the traditional Mandarin-collared Chinese jacket.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I generally work out in sweats, t-shirt, and wrestling shoes. This is pretty standard attire in the arts I train in.

The closest thing we have to a "uniform" is a school t-shirt. Though at the home school of Shen Chuan in Texas, most people there wear gi when they train. But it's not required. The only thing required is a school shirt and rank belt. But when I'm teaching Shen Chuan here in Kentucky, I don't require anything except that people be dressed :)

Mike

CrushingFist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In my ex-kung-fu school we use to wear the traditional chinese martial arts uniform, although the sifu and most of them use to wear the jacket, use the students wore a black t-shirt with the schools logo "HUNG-GA" in my case and a hand over the fist like if your bowing, with some chinese letters sayin the sifu's name.
http://www.yeeshungga.com & i use to atten this specific one > http://www.yees-hungga.com how can i ever thank my ex-sifu "Sifu Johnny V." too bad I cant train with you no more:(

M

MartialArtist

Indoor Training...

Gi
Full Combat Outfit (w/o gear)
Shorts and shirt
Sweat Pants and Long Shirt

Outdoor...

Gi
Full Combat Outfit (w/ and w/o gear)
Long pants and shirt

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Traditional gi pants and a t-shirt most of the time. for testing and other special occasions full gi (japanese) and no shoes or MA shoes on the mats. :asian:

:goop:

L

lost_tortoise

At the last kwoon in which I trained, we were required to wear black pants (most often sweatpants) and the school t-shirt. Wrestling shoes were most common as we were allowed to wear them on the mats during grappling.
Outside of school (haven't trained there in two years), I usually wear a pair of hospital scrub pants (I dyed them black and they are pretty cool) and a comfortable shirt. For any "real life" simulation training that I do (ie. knife, multiple attacker etc.), I try to wear street clothes or sometimes even a suit (these days that's my standard attire).:shrug:

Latest Discussions