What do you wear to train?

What do you wear to train in?

• Japanese Style gi (wrap around style)

Votes: 117 61.3%
  • Traditional Chinese uniform (frog style buttons)

Votes: 10 5.2%
  • Traditional Vneck Korean uniform (TKD)

Votes: 26 13.6%
  • Hakama

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Aerobics/workout clothes

Votes: 45 23.6%
  • Street Clothes (jeans and stuff)

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • Other Traditional Clothing

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other non-traditional clothing

Votes: 26 13.6%
  • Shoes

Votes: 61 31.9%
  • No shoes

Votes: 77 40.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nightwish

White Belt
Reaction score
I have training clothes that look similar to Rocky's...in short..they are ripped to hell, old as hell, and stinky as hell.

I wear fleece pants, a vest, a sweat shirt, and a tuque...gets the heart rate goin i tell ya,

M

MartialMom

In Kenpo we wear the traditional black Gi, in Kung Fu we practice in work out clothes as our group is small and informal.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
just a traditional gi I also wear wrestling shoes. Although there are times when I have street clothes classes just so they can feel the difference.

achilles

Green Belt
Reaction score
The heavy role of the uniform I think is overly emphasized in comparison to other more relevant issues. If that's your thing, great. But uniforms, belts and the like does not define the martial artist.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
traditional japanese gi (we call a dobuk), no shoes for me on the mat.

I am trying to train outside on uneven terrain and it's really tough on my knees, so ... I'm going to do it more. :uhyeah: And will do so in my tight jeans and tennis shoes first.

Will begin working on moving in just about all kinds of clothing that I wear, and since I'm female, that involves dresses and heels, too. would be interesting what a person can do ...

Aqua4ever

Blue Belt
Reaction score
From Sept to just before it gets hot traditional gi except for sparring where we can wear the club t-shirt, in the summer we can wear club or plain t-shirt with traditonal style pants
no shoes ever

V

Vadim

At TSK we train with a traditional gi and we dont wear any shoes.

-Vadim

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, We ware black gi's with a red club t-shirt inside of the gi. The Universal kempo-karate patch over our heart area ,is the only thing allow on the uniform. Shoes perfer black, but not neccessary.

When in are in a large group our Professor makes us take of our belts (sometimes),everyone now looks the same. The training takes on a new meaning. Try this sometimes,(Remove the belts or ranks).

There is so many kinds of uniforms and everyday clothes use in training. NEAT! Thanks for sharing.....Aloha

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wear BDU pants, police style boots and a t-shirt...

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Our class wears black pants (mine are elasticated at the ankles for winter, Thai fisherman's pants for summer) and the class t-shirt, which comes in a variety of different colours. White or black are most common, but some ppl have red or yellow shirts too. We wear kung fu shoes in training... i wear my trusty Feivue's.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depends on the day of the week.

During the weekdays, it's in full traditional Karate gi. Tokon Sovereign, or Arawaza Amber, depending on if I'm going to do more teaching (the Arawaza) or training (Sovereign).

On Sundays, when I'm there just to workout for myself, it's athletic shorts and a t-shirt.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
More often than not, I wear my gi to class. If it's ungodly hot, the top comes off and some sorta asian-influenced t-shirt goes on. I got a million of them.

No shoes...ever.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Track pants and school t-shirt for me, along with a good set of athletic footwear. Some people find wrestling boots to be really good for HES. I plan on getting a set of medieval ankle boots, since the slick sole affects one's footwork. I's also like to get a good gambeson when I get the funds.

Best regards,

-Mark

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sweats & a t-shirt. Full gi occasionally. BDUs depending on where and what I'm doing. Other special gear, like body armor or gunbelt, depending on what I'm training...

Boots, shoes (I like New Balance cross-trainers), and occasionally barefoot.

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't know whether the things I wear fo r training are traditional or not, but I don't think so ;).

It's a black pair of trousers (those kung-fu-like-things, apparently it says so on the manuracturerer's website) and a black T shirt with the name & logo of our style. For a 'belt' I wear a red selendang, but it's not a real selendang, it's a red satin thing.

Kosho Gakkusei

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Gi, Workout Clothes, Street Clothes, Shoes, No Shoes, Pajamas, Underpants, & No Clothes.

_Don Flatt

I wanted to add that I only train alone with no clothes on.