What do you think is the most ruthless?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok, any of the traditional arts have most all that is in KM and usually a lot more techniques actually.

True to a point, however, IMO, one of the main differences, is the simplicity. That is what makes a big difference.

Krav Maga was designed and developed as a 'troop style' to be taught rapidly with a minimum of time and effort to allow a conscript in the Isriali military to survive a hand to hand encounter with other conscripts. it was not really intended to be a style that would face skilled martial artists with years of training in unarmed combat as that is just not something they normally incounter on a battlefield.

Are you saying that KM is not effective against a martial artist? Someone trained in TKD, Kenpo or Shotokan?

But as i said before, ruthlessness is in the practitioner and not the art really.

Yes, I agree with this. :)

eggg1994

Orange Belt
Reaction score
when i think a martial art as ruthless i think the practioner because its not the art but the practioner. when i think about the practioner i think of the teacher at the cobra ki dojo who's moto is show no mercy in this dojo, mercy is for the weak, our enemy only deserve's pain. that is my example of a ruthless martial artist.

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There are Goju Ryu schools who practice everything, except for kumite. But they can do some serious damage from their training. There are people who say that it is useless because they are not stress tested. But in order to see if those techniques work, they might hurt someone or worse.

Aikido, which has no sparring is pretty dangerous, especially in the wrong hands. Some people argue that an Aikido practitioner would be in trouble if they got punched. But is kind of hard to punch if your wrist is broken.

Depending on the teacher and the student. All styles are ruthless.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Roshambo is the most ruthless. There is only one technique and one purpose.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
it is not the art, or the weapon that kills, it is the hard heart and the hand with intent.

it is the man who kills, is ruthless or not. KM is good for what it is for. one of its bigest edges in many encounters would be that they teach intent and demand that the student practice the idea of intent.

but Km is not the only art that is taught that way. once again. its the man, not the art.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it is not the art, or the weapon that kills, it is the hard heart and the hand with intent.

it is the man who kills, is ruthless or not. KM is good for what it is for. one of its bigest edges in many encounters would be that they teach intent and demand that the student practice the idea of intent.

but Km is not the only art that is taught that way. once again. its the man, not the art.

It doesn't have to be hard heart and it doesn't have to be a man, the most ruthless person could well be a mother who's child is in danger. Hurt or try to hurt my kids and trust me you will die slowly screaming and I don't care how big or how strong you are. The power of a mother is amazing.

Shifu Steve

Green Belt
Reaction score
Aikido, which has no sparring is pretty dangerous, especially in the wrong hands. Some people argue that an Aikido practitioner would be in trouble if they got punched. But is kind of hard to punch if your wrist is broken.

Depending on the teacher and the student. All styles are ruthless.

I would say all styles have the potential to be utilized in a ruthless manner. However, some lend themselves to ruthlessness more than others. The idea behind a style like Aikido is peaceful. That's not to say it can't be used to inflict harm. However, there are styles I've seen in CMA that contain eye gouges, tendon manipulation (tearing), breaks, etc. I would say in these cases the style is meeting the practitioner half way when it comes to violence (again, not that it has to be used that way).

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would say all styles have the potential to be utilized in a ruthless manner.

Yep

However, some lend themselves to ruthlessness more than others.

I'd replace ruthlessness with directness, however they all have the quality.

The idea behind a style like Aikido is peaceful.

I dunno... ever see old video of Ueshiba? He wasn't terribly peaceful. Definitely peaceful in the idea of locking & pressure as opposed to out & out breaking. My experience with aikido lends me to think of a joke just below the surface on the "peaceful" aspect.

That's not to say it can't be used to inflict harm.

Oh... it does that handily.

However, there are styles I've seen in CMA that contain eye gouges, tendon manipulation (tearing), breaks, etc.

That's every TCMA style I've encountered. I'd like to see one that doesn't.

I would say in these cases the style is meeting the practitioner half way when it comes to violence (again, not that it has to be used that way).

Violence is metered by the desire to survive. The style is just a method of training to ensure I have a better than average chance to survive.

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I will take this to mean a system that espouses the most efficient techniques with no regard for damage done to the person you are attacking/defending against.......

I would say Krav Maga or some of the other law enforcement systems but not all. My biased opinion only.

Shifu Steve

Green Belt
Reaction score
That's every TCMA style I've encountered. I'd like to see one that doesn't.

The joint and bone breaks in Tai Chi I can see from watching some of the forms. I have not seen an overt reference to an eye gouge in a Tai Chi form, but I'll admit I've had limited exposure.

elmerq

White Belt
Reaction score
This may turn into an argument, but what do you guys think is the most ruthless martial art that is publicly taught? Don't talk about some art that no one has ever heard of, I am strictly speaking about something one can actually find a place to train in it.

I would argue that in terms of ruthlessness and unforgiving, I would consider the Southeastern Asian Martial Arts to be the most ruthless. The filipino martial arts and Silat probably has the most deadliest of the martial arts, because the art is simply a deadly art.

I know that many other arts are deadly. I see the ruthless factor in any art, but no other art I've seen has matched the ruthlessnes of the Filipino and Silat martial arts. In terms of percussiveness, weaponry, and even empty hand... the art really is made for self-defense.

I've studied the style for almost seven years, it's not forgiving at all and honestly, it's not something I'd teach everyone.

I may have disagreements, but it's ok. Take my opinion as my opinion.

Latest Discussions