What do you guys think about Kyokushinkai

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had a friend and associate in college whom was a Kyukoshinkai Shodan.
IF he is a good representative of his art (which, it'd be in their Favor if he is), then they must be some hard working, hard hitting folks with good attitudes.

:)

Your Brother
John

Shibumi

White Belt
Reaction score
Oops, martial arts faux-pas. I meant Jujutsu, I am still an American trying to use Japanese on a daily basis. I thought about that after I went to bed last night, and wondered if anyone would catch it- My first hand knowledge is limited to my style and a very little grappling, and I would like to say that I have searched this site looking for any mention of Kyokushinkai and have seen very few inaccurate comments. (from my experience) It is very gratifying and humbling to hear all the positive things that you guys in "the rest of the world" have said, and the negative, being for the most part correct, tells me that you know what you are talking about. I am glad this is not looking like another "blah blah blah" website-

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Tournament style fighting can effect the way you fight on the streets. I am sure the Kyokushinkai do not practice tournament style fighing in your regular classes?

Learning to get hit can be good and learning how to hit hard for real is good too. When on the street and someone hits you? you want to be prepare to know what it feels like and not be shock by it?

Do you agree the way you practice is the way you will fight? ........Aloha

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I feel it is a great style if you are looking into knockdown karate. It can help you with preparation for several full-contact types of competition. It is an rough style to train in. It could help with how you fight on the streets, but it would be only one piece of the puzzle.

Shibumi

White Belt
Reaction score
Tournament training is for a slightly different set of skills, there are rules, and a more narrow range of techniques than our regular training, and I don't care for it anymore. No doubt that tournament fighting has real value, I can't dispute that, but I have to do one, or the other. We hit each other pretty hard in class but try to avoid injuries so that we don't have to take time off of training- that is not a concern in tournament or real combat, so I don't guess we do train as we would fight.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DavidCC said:
"Fighting Black Kings" is a 1976 documentary on the 1st Kyokushinkai world open tournament

I watched this film recently. It is so horribly dated that I actually wondered if it was meant as a parody! But, watching the sparring left me with mixed feelings...it was indeed hard, but the lack of punches to the face brought down a lot of hands, which seemed to be training bad habits. Most people punched to the pectorals (a less-than-optimal target area) or kicked the legs, or sometimes higher.

All too often a fighter would turn his back to get out of trouble. The rules seemed to make this a viable strategy; one might take an off-center punch in the lats, but for the most part, turning one's back seemed as common a tactic as clinching in boxing. Again, it seems to me that this trains bad habits.

Yet, people were hitting hard, with no protection. These were tough fighters. Perhaps just as sports like Judo, Boxing, MMA, and BJJ tend to produce good fighters because they must make their techniques work on resisting opponents, this does too. But there is most assuredly a trade-off. Anyone who could jab could clean up in there, and one does fight as one practices, I believe.

Latest Discussions