What do you carry in your car? for protection?

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have my large Maglite and a lock blade box cutter (not a knife), cell phone, this may be gross but I also dip so I have spit bottles in my car, I can always throw one of those as a last resort only as a last resort because that would just be wrong on so many levels

B

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
For years there has been an axe handle in the back of my truck( in the cab tho). Its there to this day, however, it is so covered with stuff that it would take five minutes to extricate, no very practical as a weapon. I used it as a lever once and its been in there ever since. However, i usually have a handgun on my person, usually a knife, sometimes pepperspray.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have in all of my vehicles the following;

CPR breathing mask
First aid kit w/small suture kit
4 D cell Maglite
Tool kit with leather gloves
Rain Jacket
Deet
Sunscreen
Sun Glasses
Emergency Cash
Cell phone emergency batt
Cell phone battery charger
Thermal Blanket
Nutrition bars
Beef Jerky
1 Gallon Fresh water
Folding Shovel
Cold Steel SRK
Springfield 1911

I carry on my person;
Metal writing pin
tactical folder
Inova X5 flashlight (this is my key chain) makes a great palm stick
One hand removal leather belt (Great flexible weapon)
Cell phone
Plus a couple of other... toys!

Danny

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pretty much most of the time, if I'm in my car I''m driving either too or from the dojo. This means that there are two katana, one wakizashi and three bokken at hand ... if I can stop the car, unlock the boot, unzip the cases and get at them. Oherwise, all I have is my natural wit and charm ... and the abilityto drive faster and better than the bad guy (hopefully) :lol:.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I had a pickup and did a lot of work out in rural Clackamas County I always always carried:
  • A machete
  • A German Entrenching Tool
  • A gallon of water
  • A bag of kitty litter
  • A tow chain
  • A five D-Cell Maglite
  • A first aid kit
  • A space blanket
Anyone who has lived out in the ozone knows what all of these are for. But some scurrilous scalawags have suggested that I brain people with the flashlight, chop them into bits with the machete, wrap them in the space blanket, tie the "package" up with the chain, bury it with the shovel filling in where needed with kitty litter, and then patch myself up and have a big drink of water :D

It's all context.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I had a pickup and did a lot of work out in rural Clackamas County I always always carried:
  • A machete
  • A German Entrenching Tool
  • A gallon of water
  • A bag of kitty litter
  • A tow chain
  • A five D-Cell Maglite
  • A first aid kit
  • A space blanket
Anyone who has lived out in the ozone knows what all of these are for. But some scurrilous scalawags have suggested that I brain people with the flashlight, chop them into bits with the machete, wrap them in the space blanket, tie the "package" up with the chain, bury it with the shovel filling in where needed with kitty litter, and then patch myself up and have a big drink of water :D

It's all context.

Whenever I leave town, especially in the winter I always have:

• Battery cables
  • Flares
  • Maps
  • Space Blanket
  • Matches
  • Lighter
  • Tinder
  • Knife
  • Parachute Chord, and/or Nylon twine
  • Trenching Shovel
  • Tow rope
  • Come-along (hand operated winch).
  • Mag-light
  • Pen-light
  • Cell phone with charger
  • Band-aids, gauze, and Neopsorin
A lot of the small stuff above fits nicely into a small backpack, so I just grab it and toss it into whatever car I'm taking, even if I'm riding with someone else.

The bigger stuff lives under the back seat of my truck.

Around town I usually have my cell phone, a pocketknife in my pocket, and a pistol under the seat. I have a CCW, (which only counts for pistols in Oregon) so that's the only weapon I can legally keep concealed and accessible in my truck.

Tellner, what's the kitty litter for? (Other than sinister reasons?)

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
The kitty litter helps you get unstuck when the weather is freezing. Put it down. Pour some of the water on it. It freezes into a high-traction clump. It can also help fill in if you've worked one of your wheels into a rut and is ecologically friendlier than salt for putting down on ice.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have my large Maglite...
These are great not only in emergencies, but for the idiot who pulls in behind you and starts flashing his high beams when you refuse to let him merge in after he ignored the 2 miles of "Right lane closed ahead, merge left." signs.

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I always have my Kel-tec .380 in the truck and I carry a Gerber folder in my pocket. Sometimes I also carry a fixed blade as well.

Just cause I have them doesn't mean I have to use them.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The kitty litter helps you get unstuck when the weather is freezing. Put it down. Pour some of the water on it. It freezes into a high-traction clump. It can also help fill in if you've worked one of your wheels into a rut and is ecologically friendlier than salt for putting down on ice.
Kitty litter is also a pretty good absorbent for lots of fluids. If you're radiator is leaking after a crash or something like that, you can pour the kitty litter on top to control the runoff.

Depending on what you drive, and how big the tanks are, it's not a bad idea to keep a small bag of safety absorbent in the car. You might be able to keep a relatively simple accident (say, backing a semi-tractor into a post and puncturing the fuel tank or driving your car over a fence post and putting a hole into the radiator) from becoming a huge hazmat mess.

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Okay, I'm a female who usually gets off from work at 8pm, and I have a 50 min one way commute to my home in the country. We have lots of deer, foxes, raccoons, and other assorted critters where I live. And...I am a diabetic....so, for practical sake:

• I have a small knife on my keychain (great as a tool, etc.).
  • a small maglite and a small first aid kit in my glove box.
  • fruit/energy bars and ocassional beef jerky in my console and glucose tabs
  • in my trunk:a hefty tire iron, jack, tool kit (hammer, wrenches, etc.), larger first aid kit, thermal blanket, flares, reflective sign, siphon, etc.
  • During the winter I have a long handled ice scraper/brush in the floor of my backseat and a shovel and cat litter or sand in the trunk (helps with traction as added weight in back and for tossing on the ice, as Tellner said)
So, all are there for practical reasons, but I would use them if I had to do so. I avoid bad areas, but I drive through areas that are long stretches of lonely at 8 and 9 at night. Better to be prepared.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What "sinister uses" could kitty litter have?
I'm curious.

Reading what she posted, I don't believe she thinks there is a "sinister" use for kitty litter. But it is carried for a type of protection. Protecting her from sliding around by giving her added weight and traction when needed. Isn't having tools with you to help you get out of and prevent bad situations protecting yourself?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It seems I often get asked, around the circle I travel in, to talk about self defense and about weapons. I keep my martial arts gear in my car as it's convenient ... so I pretty much always have with me what I go to class with - an assortment of sticks and knives and various other things.

I, too, carry my wits and careful driving practices. :D :D :D

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Reading what she posted, I don't believe she thinks there is a "sinister" use for kitty litter. But it is carried for a type of protection. Protecting her from sliding around by giving her added weight and traction when needed. Isn't having tools with you to help you get out of and prevent bad situations protecting yourself?

Although, I would say that I believe rock salt is better because it will allow you to get out of the snow if you get caught in a bind. Another good one for this is a couple of packs of roof shingles; you can lay them down if you get stuck and need tractions! :)