What do you believe is the powerful technique in unarmed, martial arts combat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
My vote goes to the revers turning kick aka spinning heel kick. It has the longest travel path, it hits with a relatively small surface, and it isn't chambered, meaning the leg swings from beginning to end with uninterrupted acceleration..

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The basic jab. It's usually the closest weapon to target and while it doesn't cause massive damage the cumulative effect of many of them adds up.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I thought I did. Unarmed combat. All you have is leg and arms at your disposal.
What kind of room to operate and maneuver do you have? An open field? A small room full of tables and chairs? On an icy surface? On gravel or sand? Or is this a hypothetical, ideal scenario for one’s favorite technique?

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I meant raw power.
An old TV show Fight Science attempted to measure the speed and power of different martial artists doing techniques. So much is relative, the size of the fighter and style they trained in. Boxers can deliver some extremely powerful blows if everything is just right. I suspect most powerful technique I have in terms of raw power is stepping side kick.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
What kind of room to operate and maneuver do you have? An open field? A small room full of tables and chairs? On an icy surface? On gravel or sand? Or is this a hypothetical, ideal scenario for one’s favorite technique?

Open field

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
An old TV show Fight Science attempted to measure the speed and power of different martial artists doing techniques. So much is relative, the size of the fighter and style they trained in. Boxers can deliver some extremely powerful blows if everything is just right. I suspect most powerful technique I have in terms of raw power is stepping side kick.

Sure there are big boxers who can punch as hard as some peoples kick. But if you take that same boxer and teach him to kick...

I think a kick is between 30-40% more powerful. So quite a lot. Much bigger and stronger muscles are engaged, the weight is greater, etc.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Open field
Ok, then I have plenty of room to operate, and assuming I am able to close the distance and apply the technique solidly. For me, Baat Gim, which translates as “drawing the sword”. It is a wide swinging punch, kind of hard to describe without showing it. It lands like a sledge hammer and I believe can be outright lethal.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok, then I have plenty of room to operate, and assuming I am able to close the distance and apply the technique solidly. For me, Baat Gim, which translates as “drawing the sword”. It is a wide swinging punch, kind of hard to describe without showing it. It lands like a sledge hammer and I believe can be outright lethal.
This pretty lethal too, and heavy...

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe there are many variables to consider, with age being one of them. Speaking strictly for myself as a younger man a step up or step behind side trust kick or a spinning back kick. As an older, much older man I would have an advantage where an unknowing person stepping into my air space, with bad intentions, would find fingers to the eyes and/or an uppercut to the throat............ of course that's just me.... :)

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe there are many variables to consider, with age being one of them. Speaking strictly for myself as a younger man a step up or step behind side trust kick or a spinning back kick. As an older, much older man I would have an advantage where an unknowing person stepping into my air space would find fingers to the eyes and or an uppercut to the throat............ of course that's just me.... :)
No it’s not just you. I can take a nap waiting for that telegraph to arrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions