What do class dues REALLY pay for?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The dues my students pay go to cover expenses - facility, water, heat, supplies, etc. - the money I get from the Y goes to cover my training expenses so that I can continue to improve my skills, and thus improve my ability to instruct.

What do the dues you pay really pay for?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The dues my students pay go to cover expenses - facility, water, heat, supplies, etc. - the money I get from the Y goes to cover my training expenses so that I can continue to improve my skills, and thus improve my ability to instruct.

well the same as you with the exception of the profits we make go back to the fight team to helps those student that cannot offord tournament and traveling expensives. We always try to put every penny back into the schoolor our students, it is our way of giving back to the community.

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
For me, pads and mats right now. Every buck I get in tuition goes right into buying training equipment for my club. Next expenditure will be towards wooden boards for breaking.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

We charge enough to cover rent. But we are not in the business for making money. Others have that much larger struggle on their hands.

If there is money left over we will buy new equipment (* Pads / bags *) with it.

I also use some of the money from my private lessons I give, to buy equipment (* Sticks and such *). I always seem to loose money on this. I also usually give to some charity each year. I use some of the money I get from a seminar or teaching.

But this is me. I have no expectation that anyone else would do what I do or walk the same path I do. It is what I do just becuase it is what I do. It was not some great plan, just what I ended up doing.

Now with that being said, I think it is totally ok ofr those who make money off of their teaching to be able to pay theri rent and car payment and also maybe take a week vacation or two.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My student's fees cover the rent on the community center, and any extra offsets the cost of equipment that I or my partner buy. I personally let my partner handle most of the money; I don't think either of us is too deep in the red at the moment with regard to what we've spent.

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well the same as you with the exception of the profits we make go back to the fight team to helps those student that cannot offord tournament and traveling expensives. We always try to put every penny back into the schoolor our students, it is our way of giving back to the community.
That too - and also I keep a portion to pay my liability insurance. I have no problem not making money - but I can't really afford to lose money.

I subsidized my class for years until it reached the point that the test fees (which go to the class, not the testing instructor or me) could actually cover the expenses of pads, boards, and other supplies.