Instructor/owner Christmas gift?

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
This question has cropped up at the Dojo and while we have some real good ideas, even one GREAT idea, the question I have is this: As either Student or Instructor, what are your ideas that would make a good gift for the instructor. As a secondary question, would that choice be different for your Instructor if they were also the owner of the school?

As an example last year the adult students at my brothers school bought him a HUGE mirror for the front wall of the school and had it installed without him knowing a thing about it until it was already in. It was something he had talked about, but couldn't afford at the time so they did it for him.

This year he is sitting up a "scholorship" fund for the school to help defray the cost of classes, seminars, advancments, etc... that come up during the year for students that may very well be trying very hard to stay and improve in the art, but due to circumstances may not have the money to do some of these things on their own. He is already giving away free classes to several of his students because they simply cannot afford to pay anything for training and I know for a fact he runs at a slight loss due to morgage, taxes, heating, lights, etc... as it is. For a guy who does this already and is trying to find ways to give even more back to the art, we want to do something really special, but he learned from last year and hasn't said anything about what would be nice to have for his school, because he thinks it is like asking for something. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance, because I know everybody here on MT are great already and will have some ideas, not just for our little school, but for anybody else on the forum that may be asking themselves the same question.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm like your Instructor if I had the money or students willing to help out with something such as a gift. I would ask for all my students to be healthy and happy thoughout the year.

New equipment to replace the ones that have been broken or is missing.
Maybe new uniforms for those people that just cannot afford them.

I think the fund is a great i deal.

He is lucky to have such given students.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How much are you willing to spend?

If your instructor gives presentations once in a while (whether at the dojo, or at other jobs), then 30 bucks gets you a very, very nice red-orange laser pointer (635 nm), and 60 bucks gets you an extremely nice green laser pointer (532 nm).

OP
bydand

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Man, this was a couple of quick answers. We are actually looking at a couple of hundred dollars for the limit.

I knew MT would come through. This place is great!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is there any equipment the facility needs? A heavy bag and and free-standing stand will run between $200 and $300 (more or less) for a set, and is always a good thing to have. Focus pads and targets are good too. Donations to the scholarship fund would be nice, as would prepaying some bill or part of a bill for the facility.

You might also consider certificates good for services - coupons from students who are senior enough to teach so the instructor can take a night off, maybe complete with a gift certificate to a good restaurant for the instructor and his significant other (if any), babysitting if appropriate, etc.

Sounds like a good instructor, if he inspires his studnts to this type of gift! Congrats to all of you.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
JACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if you need I'll give you my address for as you all know it is better to give (your job) than to receive (my job). I am willing to sacrifice my self for you this holiday season.

OP
bydand

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
JACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if you need I'll give you my address for as you all know it is better to give (your job) than to receive (my job). I am willing to sacrifice my self for you this holiday season.

:) thanks for the smile and good chuckle Wade!

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, it wasn't a joke. I'm a biker and I tend to go through a lot of Jack, image doncha know?

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I suggest a gift certificate from Proforce, Century, or www.martialartssupermarket.com (they sell all brands at wholesale prices).

Another idea I read in Black Belt magazine a few years back is get him a really nice first aid kit for the school.

Also, I like Kacey's suggestion of gift certificates for a resturant and babysitting.

AoG

OP
bydand

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I suggest a gift certificate from Proforce, Century, or www.martialartssupermarket.com (they sell all brands at wholesale prices).

Another idea I read in Black Belt magazine a few years back is get him a really nice first aid kit for the school.

Also, I like Kacey's suggestion of gift certificates for a resturant and babysitting.

AoG

All great ideas! Man you guys are coming through. As for the first aid kit, my wife about had a fit when she saw what he had there. He has what I would have considered a nice kit, and being around construction sites for most of my life I have seen a few, just as he has (He's is a plumber by trade). Well I guess it isn't up to ER nurse standards, so she is putting together a "comprehensive" kit for his school. I can hardly wait to see the bill for this when she is done :).

The gift certificates are a good idea and it seems we as a student body are leaning toward them as a secondary item. I would say the main idea, but he just had High-speed internet access installed at his house and I have a feeling he has been lurking as a guest for the past week or so. He never jumps right into things without getting a "feel" for them, so I'm sure he will come out of the shadows soon.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
By the way I'm an Instructor and I tell my students please do not buy me anything, your money would do better buying a Toy for a needed child or buy food for the foodbank in the school name.

To me this would be the greatest gift my students could do, for they have learned to help those less fortunite than I.

Just my real .02 cents here.

I hope you really do something nice for him Bydand he sounds like a wonderful man.

OP
bydand

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's just it Terry, he is doing this "scholorship" set-up to help people train who normally wouldn't be able to and we are all going to give toward setting that up, but just feel giving something back to him would be nice as well.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know, everyone has been crazy helpful. Me personally, I know the GM is a big fan of the Movie "Seven Samurai" so I am giving him a copy. I try and help plan "group" stuff, like all going out and eating after adult class.

I don't know, we are a shoe string budget class with a tight knit adult group so we do a lot to make do with what we have and want for naught.

OP
bydand

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know, everyone has been crazy helpful. Me personally, I know the GM is a big fan of the Movie "Seven Samurai" so I am giving him a copy. I try and help plan "group" stuff, like all going out and eating after adult class.

I don't know, we are a shoe string budget class with a tight knit adult group so we do a lot to make do with what we have and want for naught.

Sounds just like our school. Last summer we even went camping downstate together with all our families. Just a great bunch to have the honor of knowing.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's just it Terry, he is doing this "scholorship" set-up to help people train who normally wouldn't be able to and we are all going to give toward setting that up, but just feel giving something back to him would be nice as well.

Scott I understand I train alot of people for free or little money as well and well this may sound stupid to some but people that give so openly and your instructor sounds that way to me would better see there students do more for the community than for themself. Granted your gesures would be appreciated by him no=matter what you do.

Maybe even adopt a child oversea in his name or a street and the whole school get together and cleans up that part of the highway once a month.

I'm sure Scott what ever you students decide he will be thrilled by the gesture good luck and let us know how it turns out.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, since it seems that I won't be getting that Jack after all, I agree with all of you, just about any thing you do will be appreciated. It doesn't have to be big, a card or a simple thank you works wonders for an instructor. A parent of a 7 year old boy sent me an e-mail today saying how much the little heathen loves class and ya know what, it made my day. I even printed it out and showed the wife.

OP
bydand

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tell you what Wade. If I ever get back to St. Helens, I'll split a bottle with you over some stories.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Great thread so far, thanks for giving me some ideas. Some further thoughts.

A couple of hundred bucks can by some first rate building materials. Add one or two handy people and a few helper volunteers and wonders can be created. The Aikido school next door to us, every year (it has became a tradition) has a project they do with out the owner/instructors knowledge as a gift to him and to the dojo. It is a GREAT way for the students to not only give back to the school but to build and put a part of themselves into the school. Those that are not handy or have the time to volunteer to help can contribute a few bucks toward the project. The project should be small enough to finish in a weekend. Some of their projects in the past for you to maybe consider. They lined/covered the ugly ceiling with white ceiling panels keeping insulation dust and pieces from continually falling down dusting them while practicing, they put in a hard wood floor around the mat space and the entry, they put in new carpet in the dressing rooms, paneled a front wall with a beautiful and classy hardwood, they have put in a large white board then made sliding doors to keep it out of sight and to protect it while it is not been used, they made a sound barrier along the upper edge of a wall (that had not been finished properly) that they share with a aerobic exercise studio (one of those dance fit type of places) and they have made weapons racks for the Jo’s and bokken and other weapons. They have also put the name of the school on the glass front door. A few bigger projects they have done include tearing out walls and moving around dressing rooms to create more space. The dojo has been there for well over 15 years and is really beautiful with loads of little details that those with eyes can see the love and sharing that has gone into creating it. One of my favorite things in that school is some small (10 inch maybe 12 at the most)action photos that someone photo shopped and somebody matted and framed and they mounted on a couple of out of the way walls. Very classy

With all that said, a simple hand written thank you note for a good class, a thought given, a wish granted, or attention given is always appreciated lol not only at Christmas and birthday times.

Sounds like many of you as well as I have been blessed to find and be a part of really great schools and isn’t it great to see how it grows? Many fret about the mcdojo’s and poor instruction given yet very little attention is given to the opposite side of the equation, to those schools and owners that are giving positively to their communities and student bodies year in and year out.

Great thread

Merry Christmas
Brian King

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks bydand, sounds like a date. Uh, you don't mind hanging in biker bars do ya? If nothing else I'll probably see you on the USAT tournament circuit next year if ya go to things like that.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks bydand, sounds like a date. Uh, you don't mind hanging in biker bars do ya? If nothing else I'll probably see you on the USAT tournament circuit next year if ya go to things like that.

I know I will see you Wade and I hope alot.
Terry

Latest Discussions