What brought you into Martial Arts

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was wondering why people got into the Arts and stayed in it??? Myself it is the satifaction that I have taken in from the Art itself, Now that I teach it's more satisfring to me to give back some of the value's that I learned... Thanks and God Bless America

C

Chrono

What brought me into martial arts? Well, basically, the only thing I can say that did was I was watching American Ninja and I thought, "How cool would it be to learn how to do that?" And so I came online and started doing some research on different styles. I will say what got me to stay in the arts. It's the whole "Be a better person" thing, really. That and the mental conditioning.

Jon

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I think I've always liked martial arts, thought it would make for an interesting study, good exercise, hopefully learning some useful skills, but didn't have much desire to really do it until recently. To help me handle stress, I tried meditation, then yoga, then tai chi, learning things on my own from books and videos. I really liked tai chi and when I found a club on campus that planned to teach it later, after a kung fu style as the main focus, I decided to join. I'd get the tai chi eventually and it would be from a good teacher who knew the martial arts aspects of the form. Though the kung fu wasn't the big draw for me, I did enjoy doing and learning it. So I guess if you boil it down, I started looking into martial arts because I needed something to do for stress relief. :)

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched classes and sooner than later, my daughter and son got me into joining TKD. Then I discovered the challenge and that I could rise to each goal or problem and work on it to solve it. At this date, the part about the indomitable spirit, much to the chagrin of my master instructor, keeps me in. I also would like to teach and give back the joy that practicing TKD gives me. I've taught on and off but I want to establish a class for women.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When my brother was watching Bruce Lee on TV, I would make a yucky face, tease him, then hide around the corner and watch - what really fascinated me was that he could fight off anyone.

I've been attacked 5 times in my life, 4 of those by people I knew. The most recent was by my now ex-husband who was a Kenpo 4th degree at the time - I thought he was going to kill me and I knew he would know how to do so. So I moved 1,000 miles away and started looking...didn't find a dojo that felt right until I joined a fitness center and found my current teacher teaching Hwarang Do. I had never heard of it, of course...but I am extremely lucky to have learned what I have.

And since that time, my brother and I embraced and he immediately tried to throw me (we've never gotten along). I just took the slack out of his wrist, used neck pressure points and dropped my center...he went down instead.

It sucks when your family is your enemy, but now my martial arts class is my family.

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've always been interested in Martial Arts since I was very young watching all the cool stuff on tv. I especially like the philosophies and eastern mysticism. I started in Judo because my mum made me do that to help me defend myself when i was 10 but I really couldn't get into that. But about 6 years ago I started Kung Fu because until that point I had only taught myself from books because I was too shy and felt so imtimidated to join any Martial Arts class. One day after not having the courage to walk into a Tang Soo do class I was all ready to give up when I saw a poster on the wall at this Leisure centre for Kung fu, so I didn't waste a minute in calling and went, and I have bee training for 6 years in shaolin Long Fist!

N

Ninway J

I'm part of the group of people that watched Kung Fu movies on "Blackbelt Theater" on tv every Saturday night, as well as Bruce Lee movies as a kid, and thought how cool and that I'd wanted to do that someday.

Now I train in martial arts as a total lifestyle of self-defense, exercise, spirituality, philosophy, mental-challenge, culture, and social life.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I took a kickboxing class and the instructor was awesome...I loved it. I learned a lot about basics from her and was thinking of taking it further and then a school opened up down the block and it was a natural transition.
MJ:asian:

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I've been attacked 5 times in my life, 4 of those by people I knew. The most recent was by my now ex-husband who was a Kenpo 4th degree at the time - I thought he was going to kill me and I knew he would know how to do so. So I moved 1,000 miles away and started looking...didn't find a dojo that felt right until I joined a fitness center and found my current teacher teaching Hwarang Do. I had never heard of it, of course...but I am extremely lucky to have learned what I have.
It sucks when your family is your enemy, but now my martial arts class is my family.
Maybe people should have to pass a pshychological test before being awarded a black belt - especially a 4th degree who would then use it against his own wife.:xtrmshock I'm sorry for what happened to you, but glad you were able to move on. :)

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
What started me down the path? Massive amounts of Alcohol. :D

Just kidding. A group of good friends (who just happened to imbibe some alcoholic substances once in a while) was my main reason. From there, curiousity took over and pulled me deeper into training.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:
I'm sorry for what happened to you, but glad you were able to move on. :)

Thanks, MJ

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A poster that said "learn Bruce Lee's art". I can't really recall precisely what it said. Of course, knowing who Bruce Lee was, I found this intriguing. I went to check it out. I stayed because I realized the positive effect that learning MA was having on my self esteem. Its really changed my life. I used to be very timid. I found the confidence to open up to people. Its really contributed to my success.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I got tired of being a physical and verbal punching bag in school. This was back in the days before it was easy via the Net to shop around. The one school I went to was the only school I went to.
For me, Tae Kwon Do was like giving air to a drowning man. Don't really know where I'd be without it. Actually, yes I do.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
When my brother was watching Bruce Lee on TV, I would make a yucky face, tease him, then hide around the corner and watch - what really fascinated me was that he could fight off anyone.

And since that time, my brother and I embraced and he immediately tried to throw me (we've never gotten along). I just took the slack out of his wrist, used neck pressure points and dropped my center...he went down instead.

Wow. Domestic violence sucks. I hope you are never in a bad situation again.

:asian:

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I got started because I was a hyper, uncoordinated kid who got beat up a lot.

Now I am a hyper, uncoordinated adult who acts like a kid, who gets together with a 73 year old man every week and gets beat up....then goes to another Dojo run by a 50-something year old to get beat up some more....

Hey! WTF is going on here! :rofl: Well...at least I teach also, so I get the chance to beat SOMEBODY up!! :wink1:

The reason I stayed was simple....the desire to learn and good quality instruction!

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
Wow. Domestic violence sucks. I hope you are never in a bad situation again.

Thank you so much, oh exhalted one! You're cool, Tuli! :asian: :asian:

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Like most Kids, I loved MA movies. I loved Mortal kombat, and all that. I used to imitate the movies at school, and people thought I knew martial arts so I guess I just started in order to catch up with my reputation. that and as a kid I befriended a handicapped kid who was picked on. I used to protect him from bullies and so ...... the thing is I never lied to them and said I knew martial arts. I started TKD at 9, but thought the repitition was boring, so I got involved in Gymnastics. I also trained with the kids next door to me. (USKO black belts, right next to gymnastics, hooray). Today, at almost 19, I do Aikijutsu, Jujutsu, Ninjutsu, and Tushkahoma/Red warrior.

Latest Discussions