Learning martial arts from very limited sources

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 would have easy work all day, 10 times out of ten.

Let's use another example.

1: knows the name of a bunch of tools and what they are used for, but has never used them, and can barely lift them.

2: strong back, no idea how to use tools

3: has been building houses for years.

Who do you want renovating your basement?
That's assuming guy 3 ever won a fight. If he spent all that time getting beaten (perhaps because he went in with really bad ideas of how to fight), then he'll probably be tougher, but he hasn't really learned how to fight. Now, if he manages to learn a bit from every fight, win some and lose some, and get toughened, my money is on him.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

1: knows the name of a bunch of tools and what they are used for, but has never used them, and can barely lift them.

I actually don't want any of them renovating my basement, just like I wouldn't put all my stock in any of the guys from skrib's post winning a kickboxing/jujitsu/mma fight.

1&2 are obvious, but with 3, if he has a lot of experience but no official knowledge, his stuff could collapse a few years later because he doesn't lay strong foundations, without him being aware of it. he probably won't get sued for it, since I'm sure what he's doing also isn't entirely legal, as without the knowledge his stuff probably isn't up to any sort of legal code for the area.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
From what I know the Gracies did regularly attend a Jiu Jitsu school in Brazil which was ran by a Japanese instructor and they took what they learned and modified it, so they did get good long term instruction.

It was "Kano-ryu Jiu-Jitsu" (or Judo) and their instructor was Mitsuyo Maeda. They were only together for a couple of years, like 2 or 3. (I was hoping that one of the BJJ guys would give the correct amount of time) Carlos and Helio were still in their teens when they were seperated from Maeda and began teaching and modifying what they had learned... creating BJJ.

The details are uncertain, but Carlos and George Gracie had no more than 3 years of official instruction and possibly significantly less. Carlos claimed to have been taught directly by Maeda, but there is no proof of that and some circumstantial evidence against it. It’s possible that he really learned from Donato Pires, who was a student of Maeda and was actually licensed to teach. They might also have gotten some information from books. (There were a number of Jiu-jitsu instructional books available in Brazil at the time.) Whoever taught them and however much instruction they received there is no evidence that they ever received any sort of belt rank or instructor’s license.

Helio learned from his older brothers, not from Maeda (or Pires or whoever it was that Carlos and George learned from).

Whatever the truth of the matter, it’s clear that the degree of training the Gracie brothers had when they started promoting themselves as Jiu-jitsu experts was fairly minimal.

So how did they create such an effective art? They took the foundational techniques they had learned, worked their asses off, recruited a bunch of students, taught them, sparred a bunch in class, went out and competed (under various rule sets) against representatives of other martial arts, got into a bunch of fights, had a bunch of kids (like seriously - a whole lot of kids), taught them from an early age, had those kids work their asses off and spar and compete and get into fights, all along swiping any useful ideas and techniques they could find from other systems.

(Just to be clear, the Gracies were not the only ones contributing to the development of BJJ. However they were a hugely important part of it. Without their efforts the art would not have had the worldwide success it has enjoyed.)

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
So how did they create such an effective art? They took the foundational techniques they had learned, worked their asses off, recruited a bunch of students, taught them, sparred a bunch in class, went out and competed (under various rule sets) against representatives of other martial arts, got into a bunch of fights, had a bunch of kids (like seriously - a whole lot of kids), taught them from an early age, had those kids work their asses off and spar and compete and get into fights, all along swiping any useful ideas and techniques they could find from other systems.

(Just to be clear, the Gracies were not the only ones contributing to the development of BJJ. However they were a hugely important part of it. Without their efforts the art would not have had the worldwide success it has enjoyed.)
^^^This! They were not locked into doing just what they had. If they got beat they took what they got beat by and learned it. They researched everything they could, studied it, found out not just what worked but why it worked. And today they still research taking from all forms of grappling.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
This would be the street fighter, or gangster or dude at the bar. There are lots of guys who learn to fight, by fighting. They might not have katas or forms, or names for their moves, or organizations or even students. But they make up for that with real fighting experience.
Which is all too often just a contest of who can throw the most punches.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score

3 would've had to have started out with good instruction and lots of practice under the supervision of a good instructor, otherwise they would never get to that level where they've been building houses for years.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's assuming guy 3 ever won a fight. If he spent all that time getting beaten (perhaps because he went in with really bad ideas of how to fight), then he'll probably be tougher, but he hasn't really learned how to fight. Now, if he manages to learn a bit from every fight, win some and lose some, and get toughened, my money is on him.
Well there's also the possibility that 3 has won every fight he's been in because all his fights were easy. Lets say 3 is a large man and all his fights have been against small children, and so he's always won. In that case 3 would lose if he ever went up against somebody his own size.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well there's also the possibility that 3 has won every fight he's been in because all his fights were easy. Lets say 3 is a large man and all his fights have been against small children, and so he's always won. In that case 3 would lose if he ever went up against somebody his own size.
I'd argue even if he was winning easy fights (outside the extreme of children and such), he's at least dealt with people hitting him, practiced avoiding that, and practiced hitting people who are moving. So if we avoid reductio ad absurdum arguments (children, frail old women, etc.), he's gotten some useful experience. If he has won some, he's probably learned. If he's lost some, he's probably toughened.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have never studied up on the Gracie family legacy but like most MA people I am familiar with its success. There are so many external things that are to be considered. I can imagine the social environment they live(d) in lent itself to a more real need to be able to defend oneself. In other words, learning how to fight was just part of growing up. Most people are predisposed to being naturally talented at something. In the Gracie's case it was learning to fight through refining/perfecting their training. As I understand it there was considerable training involved, and even more refining by application.

^^^This! They were not locked into doing just what they had. If they got beat they took what they got beat by and learned it. They researched everything they could, studied it, found out not just what worked but why it worked. And today they still research taking from all forms of grappling.
Agree. The greatest engineering successes worldwide were because of centuries of trial and error. The same is true in MA. That is not to say that what has been practices for decades or centuries was not already refined down to the best result. But until something is applied in a given environment, your body vs. my body for example, you cannot be sure how well it works. It has to be put to the test.
3.)Real world experience. Learned through trial and error. Knows what works and what doesn't. Would have to acquire a heightened sense of awareness to traps and dangers.
2.)/1.) I am going to say they tie if you do this as an experiment over time. 1.) Would probably bash 2 in the first several fights. 2.) should quickly learn to apply all the repetition they have done even against the greater resistance of the more physical 1.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
3 would've had to have started out with good instruction and lots of practice under the supervision of a good instructor, otherwise they would never get to that level where they've been building houses for years.
That's not true at all. There are plenty of self taught contractors that learned through trial and error.

Experience trumps all.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

The point here is that you can't get good at ANYTHING without putting some time in doing that thing.

Learning forms, katas, breaking boards, etc doesn't translate into a completely different activity (fighting) in any way shape or form.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The point here is that you can't get good at ANYTHING without putting some time in doing that thing.

Learning forms, katas, breaking boards, etc doesn't translate into a completely different activity (fighting) in any way shape or form.
It does translate in to some of the related skills. I agree it doesn't cover the whole range, and arguable some of the important ones aren't touched at all if there's no sparring.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So the idea of this thread I started was to explore options for somebody who wants to learn martial arts but doesn't have the best of sources. Ideally, if somebody wants to be really serious about learning martial arts its best for them to get regular instruction at a good school but not everybody has access to that. I was using the example of Daniel in The Karate Kid because he is a good example, although the movie is pretend, its not unrealistic in that there could be people in Daniel's situation in real life, they want to learn but for whatever reason they can't take regular lessons at a good school. Not everybody has that opportunity but sometimes you have to make your own opportunities. One of the best writers whose works I've ever read did not have a formal education and much of what he learned about reading and writing he, in fact, did himself. He was very much self taught although he did have some help and he was not only a tremendous writer but a tremendous figure in American history and I would say he is probably as smart as Einstein. Anyway, learning martial arts is not the same as learning to read and write but Im wondering how much a person can learn if they've got really limited sources.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So the idea of this thread I started was to explore options for somebody who wants to learn martial arts but doesn't have the best of sources. Ideally, if somebody wants to be really serious about learning martial arts its best for them to get regular instruction at a good school but not everybody has access to that
This is why I brought up the Gracie's. Focus on the other part, we already focused on how much instruction they may have had, from whom and for how long. Now focus on what else they did, after that period of time. They had a group, that trained together and beat the crap out of each other. They went outside their group and got into full contact / full resistance matches of all kinds. They went out and got in fights. They always evaluated what they were training with their results and modified things accordingly.

How did your author learn to write? He wrote a lot. How would a fighter learn to fight? He would fight a lot. There is no short cut... unless you can find Mr Miyagi, then you can wash his car and be a world class fighter. Note: Mr Miyagi is a fictional character... if you find him, he can only make you into a fictional world class fighter.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So the idea of this thread I started was to explore options for somebody who wants to learn martial arts but doesn't have the best of sources. Ideally, if somebody wants to be really serious about learning martial arts its best for them to get regular instruction at a good school but not everybody has access to that. I was using the example of Daniel in The Karate Kid because he is a good example, although the movie is pretend, its not unrealistic in that there could be people in Daniel's situation in real life, they want to learn but for whatever reason they can't take regular lessons at a good school. Not everybody has that opportunity but sometimes you have to make your own opportunities. One of the best writers whose works I've ever read did not have a formal education and much of what he learned about reading and writing he, in fact, did himself. He was very much self taught although he did have some help and he was not only a tremendous writer but a tremendous figure in American history and I would say he is probably as smart as Einstein. Anyway, learning martial arts is not the same as learning to read and write but Im wondering how much a person can learn if they've got really limited sources.
if you can't get good lessons, go for plan b) and buy a squat rack

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
no generally it's a contest of who can throw the first meaning full punch, as that generally wins
Yes, although all too often street fights are just people wildly flailing.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
if you can't get good lessons, go for plan b) and buy a squat rack
Just get a gym membership, no need to spend all that money on an expensive squat rack and bar and weights.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just get a gym membership, no need to spend all that money on an expensive squat rack and bar and weights.
well clearly it depends what you pay for the membership, some are extortion, but weight equipment is quite cheap new, and can be picked up for next to nothing second hand, in some cases actually nothing, as their Mrs has told them she want it out by the weekend, then if you go from the plastic weights filled with sand, they really are cheap, getting it home on the bus can be a challenge

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
How did your author learn to write? He wrote a lot.
Yes he did although much of it he did on his own but he did get some help. Interesting that you or anyone else haven't asked who it was considering he was also a huge figure in American history.