Shoot, move and communicate.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Within miltary training, there is a saying that in order to be effective a unit (from the individual serviceman/woman up to the largest units) must be able to shoot, move and communicate.

Translating this saying to the civilian self defense training isn't too hard IMO. My question is what specific areas under each of these categories do you think need to be covered/are already covered by training that is available (traditional training, Blauer tactical systems....whatever)?

Shooting (for civilian translation this should probably be changed to offensive skills such as striking, grappling, throwing...all the way up to and including firearms training if applicable)

Moving (footwork, health/fitness/flexibility, running, vehicle driving, horsemanship, motor bikes, cycling, roller blading, land navigation, GPS tools,... cuz hey you never know)

Communicating (to borrow from NYS English standards: the ability to read/write/listen and speak for information and understanding, literary response and analysis, evaluation, and social interaction. Simply put, can you deliver and recieve messages effectively from a variety of sources - people, media, instruction...including non verbal ques)

THis was inspired by the one system enough thread. As a self defense oriented martial artist, I tend to consider these categories of skills more than what system of martial arts when I think about training/preparation for realistic situations. I see the standard floor training/martial arts program stuff as an important component to self defense, but I don't think it is the ONLY venue that should be explored for self defense training.

As it is packaged today, "Martial Arts" training is a pretty narrow field of kicking/punching/grappling/non ballistic weapon styles in some combination. I would consider a defensive driving course 'martial arts' training because it teaches driving tactics that improve safety. I would consider firearms training - self defense type - as 'martial arts'. I would also consider a psych course or communication class as martial arts because they can equip you with tools and skills that help read and react more effectively to people on a daily basis as well as in a crisis situation.

I have been accused of having a 'cop' mentallity about self defense, and I admit freely to its truth. There are tons of good things to be learned from the standard "martial arts" training as it exists today. But there is more to realistic self defense than just kicking and punching. Since my goal is self defense and not 'martial art' mastery, my view is a little different than others. It is purely a personal view and not something anyone else has to agree to.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As you know, Im with you 100%...what is the big problem with this approach? I know that some folks argue with you about it...why??

OP
L

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tgace said:
As you know, Im with you 100%...what is the big problem with this approach? I know that some folks argue with you about it...why??
THIS IS NOT A NEGATIVE CRITICISM OF HOW OR WHAT ANYONE PRACTICES...

Phew, I get horse throwing out those disclaimers....

I think it has to do with training and expectations. Folks like what they are doing and are proud of it. They know that what they do will work for things they have trained for - but don't really move out of that comfort zone too far.

Let's face it, as civilians, we are enthusiasts/hobbyists and not 'professional martial artists' for the most part. Our lives (professional development/promotion/pay increases, survival....) don't depend on the training. Because of that, there are usually motivations other than self defense that are the prime motivators in training. Whether it is the self esteem, fitness, pride, social interaction, belonging to a special group, cultural exposure, philosophy.....what ever, the first and foremost inspiration is not always self defense.

Since my first and primary motivation is self defense (and since the most well rounded 'martial artists' I have known have been 'professionals'), my training and mentallity is going to be similar to those folks.

Martial arts training that ignores or at least doesn't research/include some kind of contextual consideration (society, technology, tactics, culture...) may be good athletic and personal training, but it is not going create a well rounded, generally capable self defense artist. It will develop students who are VERY good at one part of a larger whole.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kind of like going back to the old "warriorship" threads. A "warrior" sees MA as a "hand to hand" component of his training package. A "Martial Artist" works towards athletic/aesthetic/spiritual perfection through physical training.

OP
L

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Kind of like going back to the old "warriorship" threads. A "warrior" sees MA as a "hand to hand" component of his training package. A "Martial Artist" works towards athletic/aesthetic/spiritual perfection through physical training.
Even with the shift of the USMC toward its own martial arts system, the outlined goals, objectives and benefits of the training are more toward building individual fitness, confidence and fighting spirit along with some less than lethal options considering the 'peace keeping' approach that leads to direct non combative interaction where firearms and lethal force are too much.

The USMC is not replacing anything with the martial arts program, just using it as a component in the development of the whole fighter.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, I find your approach totally pragmatic and realistic. I think that most people don't really look this deeply into the "self defense" problem, and you're right, its kind of a cop mentality. A Police officer spends all his/her working day dealing with the worst elements of our society, and faces danger on a basis more regular than most civilians could psychologically handle. This causes defense to be a major topic of thought.

Training people with this sort of wholistic approach would be a huge endeavor, though. I'm not saying it wouldn't be worthwhile, I'm saying how many would actually make the effort to learn this much?

OP
L

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
flatlander said:
No, I find your approach totally pragmatic and realistic. I think that most people don't really look this deeply into the "self defense" problem, and you're right, its kind of a cop mentality. A Police officer spends all his/her working day dealing with the worst elements of our society, and faces danger on a basis more regular than most civilians could psychologically handle. This causes defense to be a major topic of thought.

Training people with this sort of wholistic approach would be a huge endeavor, though. I'm not saying it wouldn't be worthwhile, I'm saying how many would actually make the effort to learn this much?
I think your comment ties this topic into the commercial school topics. The real question is how many commercial martial artists are not including a wholistic approach because it doesn't pay the rent? Supply and demand. Consumers are demanding the convenience of the current martial arts package and businessmen are supplying them with it. If instructors try too hard to 'make' students take these other lessons (and this has happened to me when I had a commercial school) the majority of students (males are in the majority. Females tended to go "oh wow" more often) will say "that isn't what I came here for..." and take their rent paying check somewhere else....

that is why I say that this wholistic view is really a personal journey that can be encouraged and guided under a good instructor who is truly humble and doesn't have to be the "keeper of the keys' but is trying to facilitate self defense over artistic/cultural preservation...

When I ran my school, I interviewed 911 dispatchers for effective report calling, in my instructors program he invited and consulted local prosecuting attorneys to train with us to make sure we were aligned with the legal system. I offered and referred people chances to for 'outside of kicking and punching' martial training. I wasn't the topic expert on everything - still am not and never will be - but had a great excuse to get a group together to make it cheaper for me to participate in as well...:)

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
First off, I should tell you, John, that I'm not an instructor. I'm not yet qualified, and so am speaking from the pespective of a student. That said, were I instructing in self defense, I would certainly embrace your viewpoint. I think that it's the more responsible approach.

Unfortunately for me, where I come from is an extremely small market. There are only one million people in the entire province of Saskatchewan, and shrinking. This leaves us a smaller pool of knowledge from which to draw. Coupled together with the poor economics of this region, makes your approach very difficult to achieve, here. But I'm sure not impossible. But perhaps prohibitively expensive.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree, sounds like a great and effective method. I personally enjoy martial arts for the cultural aspects more than anything else. Yeah, it's fun to learn a flashy technique that will impress my friends, yeah it's fun to learn an effective technique that shows how to kill someone efficiently, yeah its fun to find out how to exercise and be in shape, yeah it's fun to have friendly competitions, yeah it's great to be part of a tradition, yeah I love meeting new people, but the best part to me is learning the history and culture. It just sounds like to you the best part is the tactics and you choose to trim the rest off until you get to it. To each his own.

Consequently, I love the "shoot, move, communicate" motto. One of my teachers used to say "can't move can't fight; can't breathe, can't fight; can't see can't fight." As to say that the three quickest ways to die in combat are the loss of mobility, air and vision.

OP
L

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
flatlander said:
First off, I should tell you, John, that I'm not an instructor. I'm not yet qualified, and so am speaking from the pespective of a student. That said, were I instructing in self defense, I would certainly embrace your viewpoint. I think that it's the more responsible approach.

Unfortunately for me, where I come from is an extremely small market. There are only one million people in the entire province of Saskatchewan, and shrinking. This leaves us a smaller pool of knowledge from which to draw. Coupled together with the poor economics of this region, makes your approach very difficult to achieve, here. But I'm sure not impossible. But perhaps prohibitively expensive.
You can only do as much as you can afford or access. Thank goodness for internet to expand access and reduce the cost of at least getting exposed to the basics.

Sports participation is a great way of increasing tactical ability and can translate to self defense - and it can be a fun way to cross train and get fit. I have mentioned tactical solution games for the brain training as well (yes, things like D&D can be martial training if done with that goal in mind). First aid courses are reasonably easy to access and sometimes employers will pay for it if you volunteer to be a company responder on the job. Driving... well no one wants to smash up their car. But, basic awareness and defensive driving tactics are good things to focus on while everyday driving takes place. It doesn't make fans with the local LEO at times, but when the first cold snap hits, I like to find an empty parking lot to reorient myself on how my vehicle handles on slick/icy roads. It is a great opportunity to practice certain 'power slide' moves with little to no wear and tear on the vehicle too (ever notice in car stunt driving scenes the roads are always wet even though it is sunny?) I am NOT recommending this to anyone else, only stating what I am willing to do with a limited budget and time myself to try and get some other skills either improved or at least maintained.

Firearms training is another area that requires some personal outflow of cash and time that I don't have much of right now, so I rely on the cross training the basics from hunting as best I can for now.

Don't start sending me your garage repair bills because "Paul told me to beat my car up"....:)