Sport or Art

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:partyon: I was just wondering how many Instructors believe TKD is a sport or a Art. Me myself still believe in the Art, but we do participate in tournaments. We are always preching the Art of TKD, Philosophy of the Art.
God Bless America

F

Fortis

My instructors definitely preach the art and philosophy of TKD. However, they seem to recognize and appreciate that it is an Olympic sport.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fortis said:
My instructors definitely preach the art and philosophy of TKD. However, they seem to recognize and appreciate that it is an Olympic sport.
In my opinion, one should search for practicality. That being said the concept of sportsmanship (a thing that seems to be lacking in american sports these days), philosophy of doing your best, and striving to help others do the same is not a bad idea. Sport or art. When you get down to it there really isn't a whole lot of difference.
Sean

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Touch of death, the way I see it sport you do for recognition and or money, an art you do for yourself i.e. to better yourself emotionally or spiritually(under that assumption) which one sport or art...... God Bless America

F

Fortis

Touch'O'Death said:
In my opinion, one should search for practicality. That being said the concept of sportsmanship (a thing that seems to be lacking in american sports these days), philosophy of doing your best, and striving to help others do the same is not a bad idea. Sport or art. When you get down to it there really isn't a whole lot of difference.
Sean
Practicality is very much present as well. However, I was just answering the "sport or art" question. I wholeheartedly agree that I wanna be able to draw on my experience if I need it in a situation. Just knowing it's there is nice.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Touch of death, the way I see it sport you do for recognition and or money, an art you do for yourself i.e. to better yourself emotionally or spiritually(under that assumption) which one sport or art...... God Bless America
Sports are not about recognition, they are about compeating against your self and others. You can gain self discipline, strength, agility, and focus, all with out getting recognition. Recognition may be a motivator, but its not what sports are about by any streatch of the imagination.
Sean

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Touch of Death we are talking about TKD, if you are doing it as a sport then you are looking to do tournaments and maybe one day the Olympics, if it is an art then you are doing it for the art nothing else and nobody else except yourself that is my point.... God Bless America

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Touch of Death we are talking about TKD, if you are doing it as a sport then you are looking to do tournaments and maybe one day the Olympics, if it is an art then you are doing it for the art nothing else and nobody else except yourself that is my point.... God Bless America
so much for shades of grey.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do understand your point and you are right as long as there grey there's room for opions..... That is what makes America so great.. God Bless America

M

Moo D

You're right on the money Terryl965, sport is for 'recognition', 'fame' , 'money' and to win. Art is about development of the individual.

regards,

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Moo D said:
You're right on the money Terryl965, sport is for 'recognition', 'fame' , 'money' and to win. Art is about development of the individual.

regards,
So a kickball game between six year olds is about fame recognition and money... right. :asian:
Sean

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my opinion. I can practice the art of TKD all by myself, no one needs be present. I'm doing it for myself. (although to get further, I need an instructor etc.)

But to practice it as a sport, I need others. For sparring, even if its for fun, is practicing the "art" of TKD (techniques) AND the sport, competing for punches kicks etc. or points as we do in tournaments.

In tournaments, when I do form, it is competition because I'm up against others but its more of an "art" than sparring because I only need me.

So its both - a combination. In its early days it was an art and they also had a practicality– they did it for war. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If I approach Tae Kwon Do as a sport, then I must approach it with a Western mindset:
1 Development of physical technique to the exclusion of a moral code and philosophical foundation. Western sports don't care what kind of a person you are.

2. Desire to earn points and win-to compete. I can practice a Western sport alone to a certain extent, but ultimately I must compete against another person and try to win.

3. Streamline techniques to keep only what will allow me to beat the other guy.

As an art, I can practice Tae Kwon Do by myself or in tandem with a partner. The object is not to try and beat, but to utilize synergy to improve each other. In Western sports, you are definitely not trying to help the other guy.
As an art and self defense form, Tae Kwon Do has a definite code of ethics and moral foundation, as it must. If you are turning your body into a weapon or helping someone else do that, it would highly irresponsible not to.
As an art, Tae Kwon Do has many different facets. You can practice forms, basics, kicking, free fighting, self defense, and special techniques. While you can keep or discard techniques you feel comfortable with or not, they are still available. There is no streamlining to make points.

What I think, is that different people will practice different aspects of Tae Kwon Do depending on where they are physically and mentally. If a 17-year old student in good shape wants to focus on tournaments, have at it. Recognizing that that is ONE aspect. Someone else might want to focus on a different aspect. I think from white belt to black, focus on the basics. From 1st-3rd Dan, depending on where you are physically, if you want to dedicate 6-7 years to tournament competition or performing demos, have at it. Then go back to traditional Tae Kwon Do after you are done with the tournament or demo aspect. By that I mean work on forms, develop your technique, do some teaching, and perhaps try to attain Master Instructor.

M

Moo D

Touch'O'Death said:
So a kickball game between six year olds is about fame recognition and money... right. :asian:
Sean
no, but it's all about winning, isn't it???

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Moo D said:
no, but it's all about winning, isn't it???
No! for some its about kicking that ball as hard as they can, for others its about catching that ball, hence, the art of kickball. Winning and losing is a fear based concept and six yearolds are just happy to be with the other children and throwing the ball at eachother. Fear of losing is a learned concept, that will trouble them later in life.
sean

M

Moo D

So there is no competition involved, I apologise as I am not familiar with this game. But all I can say is that the object of most other games, or sports is to win (beat an opponent), whereas the idea of a MA is to find your own way and develop yourself.

Regards,

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Moo D said:
So there is no competition involved, I apologise as I am not familiar with this game. But all I can say is that the object of most other games, or sports is to win (beat an opponent), whereas the idea of a MA is to find your own way and develop yourself.

Regards,
Oh, there is an adult(coach) there screwing up there little heads, but for the most part its about learning and figuring out what is and what is not allowed. You know, its called having fun.
Sean

C

Cobra

It is both a sport and a art. Doesn't make it bad either way though.