What Belt Do You Start To Spar At?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a set time for students to begin sparring? Do you have them wait a while or do they begin shortly after joining up?

Looking forward to your replies!:ultracool

Mike

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you have a set time for students to begin sparring? Do you have them wait a while or do they begin shortly after joining up?

Mike

Shortly after joining up - but only partnered with senior students, who will guide them through the rules and help them learn, instead of using them as targets, and who are better able to block unexpected/uncontrolled techniques.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Shortly after joining up - but only partnered with senior students, who will guide them through the rules and help them learn, instead of using them as targets, and who are better able to block unexpected/uncontrolled techniques.

I agree with this! :) I don't own my own school, but I think that within a months time, the student would have enough of the basic blocks, strikes, etc., to be paired up with a senior student, as you said, who will have their best interest in mind.

I've seen some newbies spar with people who tend to take advantage of them. This, IMO, leads to frustration and the possibility of the student not wanting to spar anymore.

Mike

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
At my instructor's school, we start sparring on day 1. I think that it's a little early to freespar personally, so I usually have the newer students pair up with the more experienced and give them an objective like touching their opponent's chest or stomach with their hand or foot...no specific technique until they get comfortable. some times I also give specific guidance (you-only front kicks, you-only down blocks...go).

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score

This is pretty much the pattern I use. I like new students to have some basics under the belt before they spar. But you can't wait too long. Got to get people used to having punches and kicks thrown at them, and used to being hit, otherwise self-defence simply won't work.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
As soon as they have their gear they will start sparring with me. Once they are ready I let them start with the senior students and then on to all students.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Mike

Right away in some form or another.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Mike
Students begin drills that are aimed towards sparring after a couple of classes at the latest. They actually begin to spar after a few months, when they have a few tools to at least try to use. There's no point in them sparring with no knowledge...

Callandor

Green Belt
Reaction score
After a few sessions (around the second week). That's what we mostly do - aside from limbering exercises. :)

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I teach kids. I start actual sparring at Yellow belt. However, I get them used to the idea of sparring by doing what I call "the Ninja Paddles of Doom."

I put on a chest protector (& a cup:ultracool) & tell them they can kick & punch the target areas on my all they want. But, in each hand I have a kicking paddle. They must keep their hands up or I will test their guard with the "Ninja Paddles of Doom." It helps them a) learn some basic techniques, b) get comfortable with sparring, c) keep their hands up & block attacks.

It's been a good begining learning tool for them.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A cool name for something most kids are afraid of - sparring. It takes off the fear and replaces it with fun. ...but aren't ninjas scary? :eek:

Most of the time they are laughing even as I bonk em with the paddles. Some get really serious about it, too. It's neat to see how they approach it.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
It goes something like this:
Instructor: "You got your basics finished right? (4 kicks, 4 blocks, 6 handweapons, 2 stances). Got your cup and mouthpiece? Good gear up, and tell one of the black belts you want a piece of him."
(pause)
"And I should probably mention you've got your headgear on backward."

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My students can only spar with an instructor or a senior class mate Purple Belt + until they themselves get to Purple. Then they can spar with anyone cause they have learned to control their actions.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Depending on the student, and their skill level, and their mind set, I have been known to send them to tournaments, (full contact), as white belts with only a couple of months of training. It's like learning to swim, you can learn all the strokes but until you get in the water you will never know if it works or not IE: sink or swim........................

If they survive, well, then we start on refining their technique and making them better. If they don't, well, we move on.

How's this for "cold", eh? :)

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Not being a teacher, I'll respond this way. On my very first day of class I sparred. It was back in the day, no pads, or anything. We just went at it. That's how it was for us back then. Now, I think it starts around intermediatre levels-purple and up? Unless of course they enter tournaments, then the beginner levels spar with each other. Generally, instructors wanted students to have some comfort level with basics before sparring.

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
For me it's been yellow belt level. Beginners get the basics down - stepping, blocking, striking - and then begin to use them in controlled sparring situations at around that level. Then, as experience and skill increases (i.e. as you move up in rank), those restrictions gradually lessen until you are full go.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I remember doing light sparring as a white belt when I studied Shorin-Ryu..

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I did sparring on my first day or near enough there. In our classes white belts spar those of a similar rank, or they spar with an assistant instructor, or high belt. Not usually mid belt ranges but I have been paired with a white recently to go over some simple sparring. I found it useful to be able to get right in there and have a go. Our sparring is pretty controlled anyway so there's no chance of hurting each other and the whites learn quick from watching a partner. Like Wade said, our whites go to tournaments too, it's good for them to have a go and prepares them for what's to come.

Latest Discussions