the meaning of a black belt

JC2005

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
my sensei sent this story to me in an email a while back and I really liked it and I thought I would share it with everyone here.

"One of the best parables I've ever heard tells about a martial artist who kneels before an Instructor in a ceremony to receive the hard-earned Black Belt. After years of relentless training, the student has finally reached a pinnacle of achievement in the discipline.

"Before granting you the belt, you must pass one more test," the Instructor solemnly tells the young man. "I'm ready," responds the student, expecting perhaps one more round of sparring. "You must answer the essential question, 'What is the true meaning of the Black Belt?'"

"Why, the end of my journey," says the student. "A well-deserved reward for all of my hard work." The master waits for more. Clearly, he is not satisfied. The Instructor finally speaks: "You are not ready for the Black Belt. Return in one year."

As the student kneels before his master a year later, he is again asked the question, "What is the true meaning of the Black Belt?" "A symbol of distinction and the highest achievement in our art," the young man responds. Again the Instructor waits for more. Still unsatisfied, he says once more: "You are not ready for the Black Belt. Return in one year."

A year later the student kneels before his Instructor and hears the question, "What is the true meaning of the Black Belt?" This time he answers, "The Black Belt represents not the end, but the beginning, the start of a never-ending journey of discipline, work and the pursuit of an ever-higher standard."
"Yes," says the Instructor. "You are now ready to receive the Black Belt and begin your work."

All wise people see that changes can be new beginnings. Change need not be feared. And neither should we be looking for a permanent resting place, for a full and happy life is never stagnant.

Can you affirm that the change you face represents, not just an ending, but a new beginning in your life's journey? If so, you may be ready to move forward."

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well said! Truly, the black belt represents the beginning and at that point, the student is ready to learn the true art.

In time, the belt frays and eventually turns white again.

Full circle.

Beginner's mind.

:)

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
JC2005 said:
my sensei sent this story to me in an email a while back and I really liked it and I thought I would share it with everyone here.

"One of the best parables I've ever heard tells about a martial artist who kneels before an Instructor in a ceremony to receive the hard-earned Black Belt. After years of relentless training, the student has finally reached a pinnacle of achievement in the discipline.

"Before granting you the belt, you must pass one more test," the Instructor solemnly tells the young man. "I'm ready," responds the student, expecting perhaps one more round of sparring. "You must answer the essential question, 'What is the true meaning of the Black Belt?'"

"Why, the end of my journey," says the student. "A well-deserved reward for all of my hard work." The master waits for more. Clearly, he is not satisfied. The Instructor finally speaks: "You are not ready for the Black Belt. Return in one year."

As the student kneels before his master a year later, he is again asked the question, "What is the true meaning of the Black Belt?" "A symbol of distinction and the highest achievement in our art," the young man responds. Again the Instructor waits for more. Still unsatisfied, he says once more: "You are not ready for the Black Belt. Return in one year."

A year later the student kneels before his Instructor and hears the question, "What is the true meaning of the Black Belt?" This time he answers, "The Black Belt represents not the end, but the beginning, the start of a never-ending journey of discipline, work and the pursuit of an ever-higher standard."
"Yes," says the Instructor. "You are now ready to receive the Black Belt and begin your work."

All wise people see that changes can be new beginnings. Change need not be feared. And neither should we be looking for a permanent resting place, for a full and happy life is never stagnant.

Can you affirm that the change you face represents, not just an ending, but a new beginning in your life's journey? If so, you may be ready to move forward."

CUT THE CRAP Sensei!!! Gimme the belt!!!

(but I jest). Great post. =)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great post! I couldn't agree more!

Mike

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great post - and also the philosophy I was taught before receiving my own black belt. If, at any point, you believe that you have learned everything, then you have learned nothing. I spent most of last weekend at a patterns seminar run by a group of my seniors - all of who freely admit that multiple interpretations exist, that they discuss and disagree about techniques, and who continue, after 20, 30, or more years in TKD, to actively research the art, its sources and uses - because they too are still learning.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
JC2005 said:
"The Black Belt represents not the end, but the beginning, the start of a never-ending journey of discipline, work and the pursuit of an ever-higher standard."

NICE!!!

We received a similar lecture from one of the masters who was overseeing my first dan test. At the end of the test the Sabumnim essentially said that "Earning your black belt simply means that you've mastered the basics of the art. You have only laid the foundation of your house. Now you are ready to move forward and build upon that newly set foundation. The study of the martial arts is infinite, you are only now ready to begin the next stage of your study of our art". Great Stuff... :asian:

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"But I wanna learn how to beat people up RIGHT NOW!"
-Ed Gruberman

I honestly wish I could remember what my instructor said at the end of my BBT. I was out on my feet...and his post-test speeches have only gotten longer with time... :)

Slippery_Pete

Green Belt
Reaction score
Over the entrance to the mat in our gym is the statement: A black belt is a white belt who never gave up

Black is always stated to us as just the beginning and not the end...i wish more people would see it as this and keep attending and learning after they reach black

Great story!

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The black belt is not a trophy to be admired after a race, rather it is the sound of the starting pistol before the race! --Me

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Slippery_Pete said:
Over the entrance to the mat in our gym is the statement: A black belt is a white belt who never gave up

Black is always stated to us as just the beginning and not the end...i wish more people would see it as this and keep attending and learning after they reach black

Great story!

Amen Sister!!! It always amazes me too after seeing the intense training for the BB test and extravaganza to see them less and less after getting their belts instead of more...very confusing.:idunno:

Elayna

Green Belt
Reaction score
I wish more people in the martial arts community saw the black belt as only the start of something greater, instead of thinking the black belt made them all that and a bag of chips. And because they act that way, the ones i have had the pleasure to train with, i see them as no better then a white belt.
So i really do hope that the post that was made will be taken to heart to those who see the black belt as....everything. And there are even those that have it, that i dont think should. Dojo politics have alot to do with it i think, even though it shouldnt and it is denied.
(the black belt is a privilage no doubt and hard to earn, i give them props for that).
And of course there are those wise instructors that give the honor of black belt to those who may not be ready, to just see if it will help them be ready. LOL.. gotta love that....

TTYL.....