Sacrifices

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
No, I'm not throwing a pity party or starting a "woe is me" thread. But, I am curious as to what, if any, sacrifices you make so you can continue to train. For me, I don't have cable/satellite TV and I've eaten PB&J sandwiches for lunch every day since 2003 (well, almost every day). Even still, it hasn't always been enough to keep me on the mat, but it's something I don't mind doing because the rewards are so great. Plus, I actually really like peanut butter...

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
This should be interesting but I think one of the biggest sacrifices I make to train is the time with my family. Your kids only grow up once.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

OP
Yeti

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
This should be interesting but I think one of the biggest sacrifices I make to train is the time with my family. Your kids only grow up once.

Rob

Very true. I'm in the same boat - I've got a 3 yo and a 1 yo and it is hard sometimes to get up and leave. I try to train with them or at least include them in my training when I'm at home so I kind of get the best of both right there.

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Usually it means that I can't go everywhere I'd like to go, so I can't go to church if there are celebrations on wednesday (I missed pesach this year :() or study for a test that's the day after... And it means that I can't have a sleep over that last from friday night to saturday morning because I've got training.

But I don't really see it as sacrifices... Of course, you can't do some things on the times you've got a training but training is nice, too ;).

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Very true. I'm in the same boat - I've got a 3 yo and a 1 yo and it is hard sometimes to get up and leave. I try to train with them or at least include them in my training when I'm at home so I kind of get the best of both right there.

It is really hard for me to leave my family. In 2004 on my first trip to Okinawa my son who was 5 then would not even speak to me on the phone. I hate to see what he has in store for me this year when I leave.

Rob

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
...one of the biggest sacrifices I make to train is the time with my family. Your kids only grow up once.

The above is the main sacrifice I make. Add in the fact that my wife and I are in a sort of defacto separation at the moment, it makes it even harder on both my son and I.

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score

Rob

That is the main reason I found a dojo with more friendly hours for my schedule. I made that mistake with my first son and will not do it again.

Classes @ 8 or 9PM (after youngest goes to sleep) & Sat or Sun. when I have the rest of the day with the family.

-Marc-

Latest Discussions