Sparring: How Important Is It?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought we could have a discussion on sparring and the various aspects of it. So, here are the questions.:ultracool

1)What are your thoughts on sparring?
2)Do you do it?
3)Do you prefer point or continuous?
4)What level of contact do you prefer?

1) Personally, I enjoy sparring. While its not the same as a 'real fight' depending on how you gear up and what your overall gameplan is, you can get some realistic feeling. It certainly gives a great cardio workout and allows you to apply and see results of the various techniques, combos, etc. that you have. Its one thing to do them stationary, but add in some aliveness, add in someone moving, hitting back and the whole game chagnes.

2) Yes, every week! :)

3) Continuous although I've done point. For myself, I like to keep my training as real as possible. Stopping after each hit takes away from that.

4) It varies depending on what I'm working on that particular day. Some days I like to work on something specific, so I may start off at a slow pace, to work on the fine points or weak spots. Other days, I'll just start off with light contact and as the rounds go on, the contact level is increased. :)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mike to me sparring is a factor that has to be done.

I personally prefer continous, but point sparring has its own benefits as well

For the beginners light contact with it growing with there experience of course, also one must remember who and why they are sparring and for what reason.

My last commit is this one can learn all the moves but never really understand them without some type of inter action by sparring.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Terry. Just for clarification on my post, I was speaking from my perspective and how I like to train. As for the beginners, regardless of which method I use, point/cont., I think the contact should be minimum, at least until they get a feel for how to spar, block, move, as well as counter strike. Once they've been there for a few months, the contact IMO should be raised. Just like a SD tech. In the beginning things are controlled, etc., but once they start getting the basics down, I like to turn the heat up a bit. Keeps everyone on their toes. :)

Mike

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score

It is absolutely essential to gaining skill with fundamental timing and distancing concepts. There are other ways, I guess, but none are as efficient or as reliable. IMHO.

2)Do you do it?

Yes, at least once a week.

Continuous/multi-range if possible.

50-80% is what I am used to for sparring.

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thought we could have a discussion on sparring and the various aspects of it. So, here are the questions.:ultracool

2)Do you do it?

Good topic MJS!!! Here are my answers:

1. I believe sparring is an essential part of training. Personally, it is up there with one of the most enjoyable bits of training.

2. I do it at least twice a week. Sometimes up to 4 times a week.

3. I prefer continuous. Break it down into sets of 3-5 minute rounds.

4. I prefer 60-80% contact. Depends on the partner I'm with though!!! And sparring anywhere upwards of 70% I still need my shin guards. Otherwise too much damage is done, and it stops me from training!!!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1. I think it is a necessary training tool

2. myself? Not as often as I did when I was younger. My students not often enough but all they can take

3. continues unless they are getting ready for a tournament then strictly tournament for 2 weeks before hand

4. myself medium contact at this time in my life, for my students all levels depending on which students are participating and their level or training

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score

2)Do you do it?
... clipped...

1) I feel sparring is essential for learning timing and distancing, and it's a great form of activity for cardio fitness.

2) Every class, the last 15 minutes (one out of four we'll do live self-defense instead).

3) I prefer continuous, but I think point has a few valid points (all puns in ten did). I think with point it also offers precision targeting which can be useful (as different targets are different points). For realism, combinations, cardio etc etc I'd take continuous anyday.

4) Contact level depends on the level of person sparring, pads etc. I like medium usually, full if we have adequate pads and gloves.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
1. Very important. Why learn to swim if you never get into the water?

2. Yes, when I can. If I have a choice between forms, bag work or sparring I will always choose sparring. It has every thing, balance, timing, speed, focus, breathing, power, etc. etc.

3. Continuous for regular training then point fighting for "sudden death" matches. In competition that is how our ties (Olympic style TKD) are decided.

4. At my level, if it doesn't break me then I am fine. For my students it depends on their level. BUT! Even my little one learn to hammer an opponent. If they (their opponents) aren't hurting then they (my students ) ain't trying.

Kosho Gakkusei

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think sparring can be both a fun sport or useful training tool. In general all sparing can help to get used to dealing with heaving someone throwing strikes and kicks at you. It can also help you learn timing and distance. Sparring can also be used to test some of your self defense skills can be practiced against a resisting opponent. As a sport I would compare it to chess with martial arts moves. Some people think it's the be all end all for effective Martial Arts skills but I disagree. To me martial arts is about self defense - learning to avoid/minimize harm in conflict. The context of sparring is vastly different from self defense in the streets. I'll list some reasons why.

a. In a sparring match the opponents square off and start circling each other looking for openings and throwing probing strikes and kicks or attempting to counter. Most street altercations will begin with a supper punch or someone seeking to suddenly invade your space.

b. Rules.

c. Sparring both people are trying to win by landing a shot or getting a knock out or gaining a submission. In self defense one party is seeking to survive the other is seeking to dominate.

d. When you spar you are facing a trained & skilled fighter who usually knows what you do, on the street you are most often facing a thug who is probably untrained and doesn't know what you do.

2)Do you do it?

This question is redundant guess from reading #1 or #3.

Continuous MMA style, grappling, or self defense simulation (1 party is designated as an attacker for each round).

One where I don't get hurt and where I don't hurt anyone either.

_Don Flatt

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Absolutely vital. I don't understand why some train in martial arts and don't spar
2)Do you do it?
Every chance I get
Continuous, point sparring is utterly pointless anywhere other than tournaments, and I don't go to tournaments. I do however, go through bad neighborhoods on foot, stamina and power could mean alot.
To hit me? light, like a feather weilded by a toddler... :p Honestly, I like a good solid SMACK so, I'd have to say 75 to 80% power.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

2)Do you do it?

1) Sparring is a necessary adjunct to most martial arts training - certainly, I consider it necessary for TKD training, both for myself and my students. As both a student and an instructor, I believe strongly in sparring.

2) Yes, I do - both with and without sparring gear. Sparring gear is designed to prevent injury, and is a great tool for students as they first learn their own range - but there are times when my students (or me, when I'm in my sahbum's class) spar without pads, to learn the difference in distancing, as well as the different feel of hitting someone without pads.

3) It depends on what I'm working on or teaching. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Continuous sparring improves the use of multiple strikes and how to respond to the flow of a fight in a way that point sparring can't; point sparring teaches single strike techniques, and is a great tool with students whose primary sparring style is counter-fighting, as you can't really get points in a point match if you always wait for your opponent to strike first.

4) Again, it depends on what I'm working on or teaching, and, when teaching, it depends on the students present. The level of contact I prefer when sparring with experienced black belts is different than that I prefer when sparring with senior color belts, and is different again with junior color belts. I find that the level of contact is actually lower with experienced black belts, because most black belts I know follow the theory my sahbum espouses, which is that opponents are a series of moving points in space - and you don't have to go through a point to prove you can hit it. There are times when we turn the contact up - but not all the time; I don't like being bruised and battered any more than the next person. In general, in class, the level of contact is set by the junior participant in the round, as the senior is assumed to have a greater level of control.

The thing that I think gets in the way the most when people are sparring is that they think they can block everything - and then get upset when someone gets through their guard. When you are sparring, you need to just accept that you are going to get hit - don't get angry when it happens, because that's when you lose your focus and start flailing blindly at your opponent. Just accept it when it happens and go on with the round - the best fighters I've seen have all learned this, and you can see it when they spar, because they just calmly accept all that happens, respond to it without emotion, and continue to find openings instead of bemoaning the strikes that get through.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sparring is one means of practicing the learned techniques with an opponent.

I think that answers all 4 questions. It's important, but it's not the only thing you need in your training. The precise format and intensity and level of force should vary based on the goals of your practice at the time. Sometimes, you want more contact, sometimes less. Sometimes you go non-stop, others you stop and assess often. It's ONE form of practice.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score

I love sparring. I think it is an essential part of MA training. I happen to like knockdown style over any other, but I still kickbox, box, and point spar.

2)Do you do it?

Absolutely. As often as I can.

Continuous. Again, prefer knockdown.

I like hard contact, but I will taylor it to the level of the individual I am sparring with. I like light contact for working techniques and practicing things to see if they will work.

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
continous all the way. I hate point sparring unless its continous as well. I used to spar nightly until I joined my new school, they do not require sparring so it's only around tournment times that they really spar. I was trying to get a sparring group together until I got hurt, now sparring in general is pretty well out for me for at least another year or better.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Crap Jai! A year with no sparring???
Maybe some light contact stuff or such? Sparring is essential in so many ways, not just the actual distancing and timing of techniques.... but the sheer joy of doing this art we hold so dear. It's way more fun if you get to mix it up ;)

Man, best of luck, I think I'd go nuts if I couldn't spar for a year.

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been going nuts since I hurt myself. My poor wife is ready to send me to the garage to live, and we don''t have one!

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

It's an essential, necesary evil :lol: I'd rather do kata but you can't learn TKD without sparring. It's the push/pull, give and take in action. It's simply not enough to know the kicks and strikes and blocks; you need to know what works where and when and why. It's absolutely essential, and I'm not a fan :lol:

2)Do you do it?

Yes indeed I do. Friday is sparring night at our dojang, right after warmups we suit up and take it to the end of class.

Continuous, usually 3 minutes at a time, then we switch partners and go again.

Full contact, with the understanding that you are concentrating on the technique and not killing the folks in your class. Maybe 40-70% power, depending on the move? It should tire you out, not kill you. I have had bones chipped in sparring, but that kind of thing happens on occasion, almost always accidentally. We don't allow grabbing (or joint locks) or sweeping.

Latest Discussions