What Belt Are You?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I usually tell those that ask that I'm a 10th degree White Belt..

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am a person not a belt.
Belts are used for quality control, they represent the students level of ability.
Titles represent a standardized level of teaching skills and / or indicate a leadership position within any given Ryu or system.
:ultracool

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
For the record, I don't get offended if someone asks my rank (just tested 5th Dan BTW). However, in many traditional Tae Kwon Do circles, it is still considered a breach of etiquette to do so. It's also not the end of the world.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's a black belt! Or at least, I know my duty belt is black... Even our sheriff's deputies here have moved away from brown...

Hmm, I'm going backwards. My belt is old enough that it's more brown than black...

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
(just tested 5th Dan BTW).

Congratulations on your achievement, TrTKD!
icon14.gif

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't usually tell people my rank unless they ask me first. Now, I do hold a 2nd degree BB in Teoul Moon Kung Fu...since you asked :)

Yup, it's not as if it's a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy in place here. IMHO, if pressed, you can share your info if you want. I guess each school, dojang, dojo, training academy, etc., has their own protocol on this issue. In my own experience, I'm a Taekwondo practitioner, where I've trained, I've never known it to be a crime to let someone know your rank if they ask. And I don't know that it's disrespectful or discourteous if someone unfamiliar with the MAs asks a martial artist his or her rank and experience. Boasting about it, well that a whole different animal there...

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
And I don't know that it's disrespectful or discourteous if someone unfamiliar with the MAs asks a martial artist his or her rank and experience. Boasting about it, well that a whole different animal there...

So I shouldn't go around with the sign strapped to my back that says:

"Looky here at the Lord High Master of Trad Fu! 14th Degree blacker than black belt" ?

guess I better take it off then... wouldn't want to be rude

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At this particular moment I'm not wearing a belt but when I do it is mainly a brown color or a blact and I even have a white one left ove r from the seventies, I'm sorry you mant withen MA just a BB

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I usually tell those that ask that I'm a 10th degree White Belt..

So you must be pretty thin to have room for all those stripes, huh? Cause if you're like me, you've added a few belt sizes since first getting that white. :D I was a 5 then, an 8 now. But with abs of steel--under many soft layers. :lol:

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So I shouldn't go around with the sign strapped to my back that says:

"Looky here at the Lord High Master of Trad Fu! 14th Degree blacker than black belt" ?

guess I better take it off then... wouldn't want to be rude

Is that what you've been doing Bra... goin' around intimidating your neighbors, Lol??? All I do is keep it on the down low... :asian:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So you must be pretty thin to have room for all those stripes, huh? Cause if you're like me, you've added a few belt sizes since first getting that white. :D I was a 5 then, an 8 now. But with abs of steel--under many soft layers. :lol:

My six pack abs have been replaced my a keg..I have a really long belt, drag the floor when I walk..Gotta be real careful so I don't trip when entering a training area and blow my accomplished/tough guy MA image..LOL...LOL..

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Way cool! Seniors are fun to talk to - but juniors are the future!

Wise words, indeed.

It's nice to have all sorts of advanced ranking people in a dojo, and the more you can get to the advanced ranks the better.

However, when it comes down to it, the number of white belts in your class are what's going to determine how much of a future that you're able to generate. After all, these are new folks, and are hopefully there to stay.

Everyone will quit sooner or later. These white belts are the new blood that helps keep a system fresh.

If it's of any matter, I will quit too, once I'm 6 feet under, but I'll worry about that when I get there. :)

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Why not?

I have, at various stages, used quotes from John Wayne, Christopher Walken, MC Hammer, Clint Eastwood, Muhammed Ali, and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Are you making an assumption about me, or about Bruce Lee? Either way, you know what they say about assumptions.

Perhaps you could instead explain to me why I should be offended when someone asks me my rank?

I would love to hear some Christopher Walken quotes woven into martial art philosophy...that would be sweet!

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I still wear my oricinal white belt when I work out on my own.

That's interesting, you wear a belt when training on your own? Does anyone else do this?

Please don't mistake this observation as judgement, I have just never considered wearing my belt when training on my own. IMO, the belt is there to signal rank in class...if I am by myself, what's the point? Just looking for another point of view.

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I too have never heard that it is impolite to ask about rank. Most people are proud of their rank, so why should it be impolite? As a comparison to questions about one's salary, I think we don't want to reveal how much we actually make. In our culture, we want our image to be that of wealth, which explains the amount of debt in this country.

I have been training in MA for many years and have yet to attain the coveted black belt...as it were the end to all of my training. Over the years, my understanding has evolved and my focus has changed concerning this prize. I no longer daydream about standing tall in class, with my blackbelt around my waist commanding the respect of my junior classmates. I realize now the futility of this illusion.

As it stands, as I write, I am a 3rd kup in Hapkido and 3rd kyu in Aikijujutsu (although no longer training here) and I am probably at shodan level in MJER Iaido, but I have never tested. I have trained in wrestling and some submission grappling which have no formal ranks (other than varsity for wrestling) and I also have many years of real fighting experience due to growing up in a disfunctional family and tough inner city neighborhoods. So in my opinion, the color of the belt around my waist and yours, does not fully represent the skill level of the fighter. It does not reflect on your abilities, so this should not impact any insecurities. It only reflects the level you have attained in your respective art/organization.

Since I'm here, I am always irritated by those who when asked if they participate in MA, answers with "Yeah, I was the state karate champ." And this should impress, me how? The logical progression should be: "Yes, I train in _____ style." "Did you compete?" And then the rest is appropriate.

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't think so. To be on the safe side, I would go out and get something shiny and ostentatious. :lol:

I keep seeing camoflage belts in the catalogs when I look for sparring gear for my daughters, and those always make me laugh. "I'm a 1st degree camoflage, thanks" :lol:

(of course, if your style actually requires a camoflage belt, then excuse my ignorance)

When I trained in aikijujutsu, our GM wanted to change the style to American Combat Aiki Jutsu. He wanted us to wear camoflage uniforms with camoflage belts with the color ranks taped to the end of it. He even had the different color electrical tape on hand. I am sooooo glad that never happened.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That's interesting, you wear a belt when training on your own? Does anyone else do this?

Please don't mistake this observation as judgement, I have just never considered wearing my belt when training on my own. IMO, the belt is there to signal rank in class...if I am by myself, what's the point? Just looking for another point of view.

Yeah, outside of the dojang I just wear shorts or warmups when I train on my own. Never thought to wear the belt, why should I?

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I agree, belts and uniforms should be used in class or official functions only. Practicing by yourself, workout clothes will suffice. I wear shorts and a t when practicing, because I am usually combining it with a cardio workout and weights. I don't need my belt on when doing solo practice.

Latest Discussions