Belt Colours

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it depends.

I have seen belts with stripes using green, yellow, red electrical tape.

Sports tape is commonly used in a lot of Judo and BJJ Schools, because it's cheap and widely available. You also need to wash your gi and belt in those arts, or I will not enjoy sparring with you. :D
I think electrical tape is the most common method I've seen, other than BB stripes. I've always been impressed by how long it can actually last. I assume it doesn't do as well in the wash, though.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
It feels so different when somebody above you tapes them on and they actually mean something. Whatever day that was, it was a good one.
Yes and it feels so different when somebody above you gives you a belt because you've earned it rather then going out and buying a belt.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes and it feels so different when somebody above you gives you a belt because you've earned it rather then going out and buying a belt.
I didn't experience a difference. We didn't have to buy our own until BB, and that was the one we worked hardest for. Getting to pick our own was part of the experience, and didn't change how we felt about it, since the belt itself was never the objective.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I didn't experience a difference. We didn't have to buy our own until BB, and that was the one we worked hardest for. Getting to pick our own was part of the experience, and didn't change how we felt about it, since the belt itself was never the objective.
What I meant was, its different when you earn a belt (regardless if you have to end up buying it as you did with the BB) as opposed to going out and buying, say, a black belt when you didn't earn the rank that said belt represents (which any bozo with five dollars can do since martial stores will sell belts to anybody.)

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
As I explained in post #108 that was not what I meant, and this is exactly what Im talking about when I say people miss my points which I mentioned more in depth in this other post in this other thread. Indeed some people on this forum can be kings and queens of missing points.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I explained in post #108 that was not what I meant, and this is exactly what Im talking about when I say people miss my points which I mentioned more in depth in this other post in this other thread. Indeed some people on this forum can be kings and queens of missing points.
Um, post #108 was your response to exactly the post you just quoted. So you're getting annoyed about someone not paying attention to a post you hadn't yet made.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Um, post #108 was your response to exactly the post you just quoted. So you're getting annoyed about someone not paying attention to a post you hadn't yet made.
The bottom line is, you missed my point about how buying a belt you haven't earned at a dojo is different then earning a belt at the dojo.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bottom line is, you missed my point about how buying a belt you haven't earned at a dojo is different then earning a belt at the dojo.
The bottom line is that I misread your post, which you clarified, then quoted the pre-clarification post to complain that I hadn't gotten what you said in the clarification.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
The bottom line is that I misread your post, which you clarified, then quoted the pre-clarification post to complain that I hadn't gotten what you said in the clarification.
Well at least you got my point, finally.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well at least you got my point, finally.
I got your point as soon as you clarified it. For some reason, you decided to take my misread as something personal, and make a big point about it. It was literally just a miscommunication that was quickly and easily fixed…before you got all inside your head about it.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I got your point as soon as you clarified it. For some reason, you decided to take my misread as something personal, and make a big point about it. It was literally just a miscommunication that was quickly and easily fixed…before you got all inside your head about it.
Alright so do you agree that earning a belt at a dojo (whether you end up having to buy it or not) is different then buying a belt that you didn't earn? Do you disagree?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Poster often write that they’re a green, orange or blue belt, but am I right in thinking this means nothing since it probably depends upon the art as to what colour is what level? Ihave no 9dea of a poster’s level from the colour of their belt! Does the Japanese ‘kyu’ system not exist in the USA for Japanese MA?

In one FMA system I trained there were no titles and ranks. Just those that were told they could teach and those that taught and defended their position.

The other, has Color belts in the USA and at one time they had 6 white belts and 3 Brown Belts. And it was done :
W 1; W 2; W 3; W 4; W 5; W 6; Br 1; Br 2; Br 3;

Colors were and have been changed by many to clarify over time

My Original in the mid 80's
W, Yellow, Blue, Green 1, Gr 2, Br 1, Br2, Br 3 , Bl 1
Later changed to insert a second Blue.
Then changed the greens and blues as in many of the local systems the Blue was higher for the Koreans.

It confused the Korean Instructors at their open training if you were not exactly like them.
It caused issues for tournaments.
So one would have to bring their curriculum and then still get yelled at for being out of your division and making things unfair.

I think we should use the color scheme:
IR ROYGBIV UV

I mean that is an international standard is it not?
Oh wait many Photographers (film) only use RGB
And that is also used in computer monitors and TVs.

It would be great to have a universal standard. :)
Let everyone do it the way I do it. And we teach weapons at white belt as well. :D

Or we could use something that most people have , a way to communicate ( NOT saying the original poster is guilty of anything here )
and ask the person or poster, what do you mean with your rank? Could you explain that a little more?
Describe the belt ranking system for reference?

This puts the responsibility on ourselves to reach out and ask.
To try to communicate and try to learn new ways others do things.
In doing so, we can share how we ourselves do things and share to them that it is not always the same outside our local spheres of influence .

Good Question to ask and get people thinking and responding.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright so do you agree that earning a belt at a dojo (whether you end up having to buy it or not) is different then buying a belt that you didn't earn? Do you disagree?
Of course I agree. My post earlier was pretty much all about that idea.

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In one FMA system I trained there were no titles and ranks. Just those that were told they could teach and those that taught and defended their position.

The other, has Color belts in the USA and at one time they had 6 white belts and 3 Brown Belts. And it was done :
W 1; W 2; W 3; W 4; W 5; W 6; Br 1; Br 2; Br 3;

Colors were and have been changed by many to clarify over time

My Original in the mid 80's
W, Yellow, Blue, Green 1, Gr 2, Br 1, Br2, Br 3 , Bl 1
Later changed to insert a second Blue.
Then changed the greens and blues as in many of the local systems the Blue was higher for the Koreans.

It confused the Korean Instructors at their open training if you were not exactly like them.
It caused issues for tournaments.
So one would have to bring their curriculum and then still get yelled at for being out of your division and making things unfair.

I think we should use the color scheme:
IR ROYGBIV UV

I mean that is an international standard is it not?
Oh wait many Photographers (film) only use RGB
And that is also used in computer monitors and TVs.

It would be great to have a universal standard. :)
Let everyone do it the way I do it. And we teach weapons at white belt as well. :D

Or we could use something that most people have , a way to communicate ( NOT saying the original poster is guilty of anything here )
and ask the person or poster, what do you mean with your rank? Could you explain that a little more?
Describe the belt ranking system for reference?

This puts the responsibility on ourselves to reach out and ask.
To try to communicate and try to learn new ways others do things.
In doing so, we can share how we ourselves do things and share to them that it is not always the same outside our local spheres of influence .

Good Question to ask and get people thinking and responding.
I could help. But some things are just specific to a given process. Heck, I did not know BJJ used the term 'Professor' until just recently.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I could help. But some things are just specific to a given process. Heck, I did not know BJJ used the term 'Professor' until just recently.
I personally find that annoying, but that's just my opinion.

Latest Discussions