Belt Colours

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I’ve never seen stripes used in NGA (except BB). We use yellow, blue, green, purple, and brown. Each takes a bit longer to reach than the one before.
I see, so you've got seven belts from white to black (including white and black.) In Gracie Jiu Jitsu its five belts from white to black, white, blue, purple, brown, black. It takes about two years to go up a belt although you do get stripes on your belt. You get up to four stripes per belt and after you get your fourth stripe, the next time you get promoted, you get your next belt.

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
kenpo karate Belt

kids Belt
White Belt-White belt with 1st Yellow tip and 2nd yellow tip
Yellow Belt -Yellow Belt with 1st Orange tip and 2nd Orange Tip
Orange Belt- Orange Belt with 1st Purple Tip and 2nd Purple Tip
Purple Belt- Purple Belt with 1st Blue Tip and 2nd Blue Tip
Blue Belt-Blue Belt with 1st Green Tips and 2nd Green tips
Green Belt-Green Belt with 1st Brown Tip 2nd Brown tip
Brown Belt-Brown belt with 3rd degree Brown Belt tips on each side 2nd brown tip on each side and then 1st degree tips on each side
then Junior Black Belt their jr Black belt is adult blue Belt their belt is Black with blue stripe above their belt then they gonna get black green when they became adult green Belt and black brown when they are adult brown

the Belt system for adult is the same for kids except when adult reach blue they gonna have adult blue adult green and adult brown Belt then of course adult black belt

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Our dojo (Isshinryu) does stripes on belts for kids. Three stripes and then they move to the next color belt.
We do not charge anything to test, nor to put stripes on. If they get a new belt, we ask them to pay our cost for the belt, that is all.

Adults do not have stripes, and we also don't give out the 'golden' (yellow) belt for adults. So it's just white, orange, green, blue, and brown (three degrees of brown) for kyu ranks, and black for dan ranks. One of our senseis is qualified to wear a solid red belt, but he normally only does that for ceremonial or formal things.

Typical progression for adults is about 5 years for shodan. After 1st degree black belt, it's one year plus the belt level. So 2 years as a shodan, 3 years as a nidan, etc. But it's all flexible based on what sensei wants to do.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see, so you've got seven belts from white to black (including white and black.) In Gracie Jiu Jitsu its five belts from white to black, white, blue, purple, brown, black. It takes about two years to go up a belt although you do get stripes on your belt. You get up to four stripes per belt and after you get your fourth stripe, the next time you get promoted, you get your next belt.
Yeah, average time to black is a bit longer in GJJ. I think the average in NGA is around 7 years, which might be closer to the average for brown in GJJ.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I never had an issue. I used Stitch Witchery to put them on my original BB. They stayed on through washing until I took them off.
I was always worried my instructors would notice it wasn't the sports tape they used or something. I'm silly.

I felt bad retaping my own belt, like I hadn't earned the privilege of self-striping.

It feels so different when somebody above you tapes them on and they actually mean something. Whatever day that was, it was a good one.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was always worried my instructors would notice it wasn't the sports tape they used.

I felt bad retaping my own belt, like I hadn't earned the privilege of self-striping.

It feels so different when somebody above you tapes them on and they actually mean something.
We never had that. When promoted to shodan (we didn't use stripes for kyu ranks), we had to buy our own belts, and were expected to have a yellow stripe on for the promotion. Couldn't wear it until then. I bought some trim at a fabric store and ironed it on. When I switched later to red stripes (to differentiate ranks from my curriculum vs. the mainline system), I satin-stitched the stripes in.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Belts do fine in the wash. I didn't bother with washing my first few. Once I got to brown, though, I was keeping them long enough (and sweating badly enough) they were worth washing.
It's just our tradition. We don't wash obis. Also, when a kuro obi turns to tatters, it shouldn't be cause it was washed over and over.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
We never had that. When promoted to shodan (we didn't use stripes for kyu ranks), we had to buy our own belts, and were expected to have a yellow stripe on for the promotion. Couldn't wear it until then. I bought some trim at a fabric store and ironed it on. When I switched later to red stripes (to differentiate ranks from my curriculum vs. the mainline system), I satin-stitched the stripes in.
Yeah it depends.

I have seen belts with stripes using green, yellow, red electrical tape.

Sports tape is commonly used in a lot of Judo and BJJ Schools, because it's cheap and widely available. You also need to wash your gi and belt in those arts, or I will not enjoy sparring with you. :D

Latest Discussions