• Hugs and Holds

• Chokes and Locks

• Weapons

• Multiple Attacks

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
R

Rob_Broad

I can now see another thread has degenerated into a food forum, Sorry for bringing up the wife's cooking.:barf:

No pun intended. But it was too easy.

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Most of the techniques I've studied have been defenses and counter defenses to grabs, so that is where I am most comfortable. Its interesting considering that I feel that being grabbed is a good thing... not something that you should necessarily defend against. If someone grabs you, you know exactly where one of the their weapons are. So while they are controlling you in hopes of slowing you down they are actually speeding up your response time because their actions have allowed you to reduce the choices you need to make when you feel that he is ready to attack (more seriously). If he grabs your shirt you can be somewhat confident that he isn't going to punch with that hand. So now you only have to worry about two legs, an arm, and his head. You can pretty much rule out the same side leg because most of his weight will be on it. Now you only have to worry about one leg, one arm, and his head. So with only one side of his body going to be put into action you can counter with a stop-block (punch to the shoulder or kick to the hip) once you feel any of the weight shift... And you'll feel it because he gave you the arm as a nice little feeler. You could close your eyes and still know when the attack is coming.

OP
T

tonbo

My immediate thought was the humorous answer: I feel *most* comfortable defending against attacks (during sparring, line drills, or random) from....black belts. I generally know that they are going to have control and precision that will allow me to at least *work* with what they give me....

I *most* fear white belts....those tigers with little actual control....*shudder*...;) (looks at his own forum "rank" and smiles).

As far as a serious answer, I agree that grabs are a forte. It is nice to know that I can pin, trap, or otherwise render ineffective part of someone's weapon group. It also allows me to get more inside, where they see less of what's coming to them. I prefer to try and unbalance my opponent, so getting in close opens those sweeps up a lot more.

However, a good, high-line, telegraphed kick brings a smile to my face as well. Just contemplating that impending shot to my opponent's groin and his priceless reaction make for a truly rewarding experience.

OP
B

brianhunter

Well I think grabs, When someone grabs you I don't think they are thinking "strike" yet so you might get some surprise on them. I am by no means experienced in Kenpo but the techniques agains grabs pulls and pushes I have gotten so far are outstanding!!

Thanks

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by tonbo

However, a good, high-line, telegraphed kick brings a smile to my face as well. Just contemplating that impending shot to my opponent's groin and his priceless reaction make for a truly rewarding experience. [/B]

That just made me remember a funny story. When I was a Green Belt (10 yrs. ago), I was at a party where a TKD BB (1 1/2 yrs. training) was there. This guy was of course talking and bragging to everybody there. I was ignoring him until my girlfriend at the time, decided to pipe in that I'm a Green Belt in Kenpo (you ever notice how women love to get us in trouble). Well now this guy wouldn't leave me alone. I tried walking away, he followed. I tried changing the subject, no luck. I tried telling him I don't like to talk about MA in public, he didn't get it. After about 1 hour of this, I started to consider leaving the party before my ears started bleeding or I started crying.:waah:

About that time, he started to tell me about the powers of the all mighty round kick to the head. It must have been the frustration because I heard myself say, "That doesn't work in real life". He was insulted and decided to demonstrate his prowess with that kick. He steped back in a deep left bow, and threw a big, telegraphed round kick. I steped in and finger whiped the inner thigh of his base leg (about 1/2" from the family jewels). His eyes got really big.:erg: He looked into my eyes, turned around, and limped out the party without a word.

The cool thing was that no one saw what I did. Everbody asked what happened. I said he must have pulled a groin muscle. Now I could do what I came to do.:drink2tha

OP
B

brianhunter

Very funny story!!! The dragon wasn't seen then ;)

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by brianhunter

Very funny story!!! The dragon wasn't seen then ;)

Hey, I just started to get to know Tiger then. I heard of Dragon, just didn't get a chance to meet him yet. :D

OP
R

Rob_Broad

I have found over the yrs that people become adaptable and soon become more comfortable in any situation. The human being is very adaptable and can get used to almost anything with enough time.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
the key is to put yourself into drills that will make you comfortable through time by becoming more familiar with the circumstances. You then will build confidence

:asian:

OP
N

nathan_sau

Id have to say kicks, because of my taekwondo background. Really need to work on protecting my upper body!!!!

Respectfully
Nathan_sau

OP
T

TIGER DRAGON FIGHT

in kempo i love the variety of attacks that come at me. it could be a punch or kick as well as a weapon. i like to work against all the differant types of attacks. sombody grabs me i have a variety of counters to draw from. love this stuff!:jedi1:

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
uuuummmm.......I didn't see a choice for "all".

"old age and treachery will always overcome youth and exhuberance"
icon12.gif

OP
H

Hanzo04

t know how to defend against both since i do TKD but i prefer defending punches because i also know how to box and i can cut the angles, bob and weave, and side step. the students in my class don't know how to control their kicks in sparring class. they just go everywhere. i prefer punches.

OP
S

senseishane

Yep - our training coupled with age, time, wisdom, and experience make the answer to this question different over time.

Heard the same saying put another way, "Old age and treachery will overcome youth and exuberance every time."

Just my .02
senseishane

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I voted "punches" but I also like grabs, hugs, etc. since, as several of you have mentioned, the opponent has at least one, maybe both of his hands occupied. Besides, I prefer to be in trapping range (where all the dirty little tricks come to life, ie. eye-gouges, head-butts, squeezes to um er...certain sensitive areas :D)