After Black

K

Kirk

I saw this in the karate forum as a poll. Seemed like a good
question to me, so I figured I'd pose the same question to
kenpoists. But instead of a poll, as a general question, to hear
whatever the reply may be.

What do you think is most important after first black has been
attained? teaching others? learning form the best of the best?
perfection of techniques already learned? to learn more
techniques to add in your repretoir? What?

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Refining the kenpo you already know. Teaching is the most important aspect after black maybe even in brown but I think after passing the 1st degree test it's quite a while before your next test. I personally would like to learn more, refine it, and most of all understand it the most. Among that I've got a long ways to go before I could test again anyway so I have nothing but time.

OP
J

jeffkyle

That refining what you have is highly important, after all you are now someone people are going to look at and to for comparison in their training. So you should definitely look the part and be effective with it all as well.
It is also a time to be giving back what you have learned by teaching others the same. You should teach them everything you know so that you can make them better than you if possible.
Also i believe there should be alot of thought on your part, as a black belt and a teacher, about yourself and others in a sense of a constant reality check.
At this point most people have acheived what they have strived for (the goal of achieving a black belt) and this should be a time for them to be able to really relax the stress of "receiving" all of the material and now actually "working" what they have and will receive in the future.

Mainly it should be about a constant improvement in kenpo, as a martial artist, and as a person! :asian:

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I hate to sound like a broken record here, but I will repeat what the two previous posts have said. I am going back and refining what I know. Working on problem techniques, forms, etc. I've been cheating a little bit by working with my instructor's instructor, because he has a more similar body type to me. I get to see the refinements that he has made in his personal interpretation of the techs. And then when I get done working with him, I despair of ever being able to generate the power that he can with some really short motions :) . I guess 30+ years in the art will do that to a guy, it is a good reminder of just how far I have to go.

Lamont

molson

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think it will benefit you to do alot of what you have listed. Teaching will help you refresh all of the material you have learned especially the yellow/orange etc.. material. Continued training is a must to keep you sharp. I would start to attend seminars and other instructors to keep it fresh. Remember the black belt is just the beginning.

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by molson

I think it will benefit you to do alot of what you have listed. Teaching will help you refresh all of the material you have learned especially the yellow/orange etc.. material. Continued training is a must to keep you sharp. I would start to attend seminars and other instructors to keep it fresh. Remember the black belt is just the beginning.

I'm nowhere near black, I just thought it was an interesting
question, and something I could get some good advice from to
store for a later date.

OP
E

Elfan

Like all plautues in your training, enjoy it and then move on.

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Remaining humble.

(and remembering that maybe some of the 1st Brown Belts (/me glances at own avatar) are more committed to training than you are, and could probably kick your ****....)

OK, that wasn't very subtle was it :)

Ian.

OP
S

sammy3170

Originally posted by Kirk

I saw this in the karate forum as a poll. Seemed like a good
question to me, so I figured I'd pose the same question to
kenpoists. But instead of a poll, as a general question, to hear
whatever the reply may be.

What do you think is most important after first black has been
attained? teaching others? learning form the best of the best?
perfection of techniques already learned? to learn more
techniques to add in your repretoir? What?

I study Ryukyu Kempo and recently successfully tested for my black belt. I look at it this way. Your progression all of the way up to black is like a university degree with your black belt being your qualification. When a graduate finishes uni they don't just go and take a fully qualified position in their chosen field. Whether it be as an intern at a hospital or a law clerk they still have a lot to learn before they are let out on their own, taking full responsibility in their chosen field. In my view black belt is only the beginning of the journey signifying that you have a sound knowledge of the basics and are ready and able to learn all that the art has to offer. It should be a never ending journey. I think that some supervised time as an instructor is ok and you should always be going over and perfecting you moves. I also find that the more you learn the more you realise you don't know which makes training all the more exciting.

I know I'm not an American Kenpo student (I did it for 2 years) but I hope what I've said makes some sense.

Cheers
Sammy

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I remember getting my Black! The elation, the relief, the exhaustion! I also remember my instructor telling me "Now ... there is time to grow into it!"

He was right. Black is just the beginning. A very accomplished and starting to be sophisticated beginning, but still a beginning. There is a huge difference between 1st and 3rd, and it is not about the amount of material you know, but how you move, teach, percieve, and interpret or analyze your Art.

Thank goodness - remember the "L" during promotion ceremonies; open to the right, signifying no matter how dark your belt gets, there is always more room to grow.

BUT IT SURE IS A MAJOR ACCOMPLISHMENT TO FINALLY WRAP IT AROUND YOUR WAIST.

-Michael

Latest Discussions