What are the Best, Quick Fight Stoppers?

DavyKOTWF

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think I know Bruce liked the finger jab/thrust into the eyes. Bil Gee?
He supposedly tried this against Jack Man Wong.
Maybe a forward foot front snap kick into the stomach or jewels?
Anything else?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another troll. You're ignored. Any serious, constructive responses?
Sure. I have one.

Go train something, instead of making all these inane 'what if' threads that make you look greener than a fresh cut lawn. You can't have a meaningful discussion without context, which you plainly lack.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
"I THINK I know Bruce liked it"

"SUPPOSEDLY he used it"

Not to sure on much are you.

My advice is stop worrying about what Bruce Lee did of what ip Man did. Those guys are dead focus on yourself. Just because Bruce Lee used a move doesn't mean it's good for you. Focus more on your own training and not living in the past. Ironically you're doing exactly the kind of thing Bruce Lee hated and going completely against what he envisioned for martial arts

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also there's no such thing as a fight stopper. Any move has the potential
To stop someone but it could also not do any damage at all. Groins kick do work yes but not always. People who are drugged up or just full of adrenalin can take a lot and frankly a front kick to the stomach is very rarely going to stop someone dead at all. A front kicks mainly for pushing them away from you and yeah it can hurt but again I doubt it'd stop a fully aggressive attacker

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Too many SA's around here. Out.
I don't even know what ab SA is tbh.
Thing is here everyone is pretty experienced in martial arts and frankly don't over worship people like Bruce Lee. Respect them yes but frankly there's people on this forum who are higher level wing chun guys than Bruce Lee.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think that there is any such thing. I believe that I have prevented/stopped several conflicts in the last decade with my voice, so I could list that. A cop I know has stories about tasers not working on people who are high on PCP and certainly my voice wouldn't have handled it either, nor probably a finger in the eye. So what stops one person, will not necessarily stop another person.

People process pain differently. People commit assault/harassment or otherwise get into fights for different reasons. You can, to a degree, learn to recognize what you are dealing with and adapt your response to increase your chances of success, but unless it's your job and you get to practice it 40+ hours/week, I don't think most people can train this expertise beyond a certain point.

Situational awareness, avoidance, de-escallation are all critical/VITAL self defense capabilities. You asked about fighting, which implies that we're starting at the point of physical conflict. What stops one person vs the next one at that point, is highly variable from my perspective. That's why it takes time, training, and experience.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
"I THINK I know Bruce liked it"

"SUPPOSEDLY he used it"

Not to sure on much are you.

My advice is stop worrying about what Bruce Lee did of what ip Man did. Those guys are dead focus on yourself. Just because Bruce Lee used a move doesn't mean it's good for you. Focus more on your own training and not living in the past. Ironically you're doing exactly the kind of thing Bruce Lee hated and going completely against what he envisioned for martial arts
Or at least fixate on someone that was a fighter rather than a movie star choreographer. Id rather have a soldier teach me gun tactics than Keanu Reeves, regardless of how high his kill count was in John Wick.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't even know what ab SA is tbh.
Thing is here everyone is pretty experienced in martial arts and frankly don't over worship people like Bruce Lee. Respect them yes but frankly there's people on this forum who are higher level wing chun guys than Bruce Lee.
Pretty sure smart ***

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Straight punches pretty much.

If you can get that right with good timing and on target you will win fights against inexperienced guys.

Works in the ring. Works on the street and mechanically makes sense.

And it is a method that is used by champion fighters.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Straight punches pretty much.
If A uses straight punch and B uses hay-maker, my money will be on B.

The PRO of the hay-maker is it can be a both offense and defense move. If you throw a straight punch toward my face, my hay-maker can not only knock down your punching arm, if you move in fast enough, my hay-maker can hit on the side (or the back) of your head.

IMO, when you feel threaten, a "45 degree downward hay-maker" can knock down everything coming toward your face.

Here is an example.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

The PRO of the hay-maker is it can be a both offense and defense move. If you throw a straight punch toward my face, my hay-maker can not only knock down your punching arm, if you move in fast enough, my hay-maker can hit on the side (or the back) of your head.

IMO, when you feel threaten, a "45 degree downward hay-maker" can knock down everything coming toward your face.

Here is an example.

He was knocked out by a straight right.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

Here is an example.

I'm not sure that this video shows circular vs straight line movements so much as the importance of movement and timing.

With that said if all else is equal, the straight punch gets there first.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Here is an example.

I don't know who that guy is, but his Wing Chun is terrible. Barely there, in fact. This video is evidence that he got clocked by that other guy, nothing more.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't know who that guy is, but his Wing Chun is terrible. Barely there, in fact. This video is evidence that he got clocked by that other guy, nothing more.
hard to know from the video. His wing chun might be excellent in class, sparring with his training partners.

This kind of thing is pretty typical in any kind of skill development when you ask someone to apply skills and realize the difference between comprehension and application. It is very predictable. Developmentally, the wc guy in the video will react in one of two ways. Either he will excuse his performance and rationalize it away. Or he will recognize the exposed gap and improve.

Latest Discussions