WFT & ITF Historic Memorandum

OP
D

DMcHenry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes sir, correct - but that is still a big step for one of the ITF groups to work closely with the WFT. I wonder if it will lead to others?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see it as all THAT big a step...

All it does is allow ITF Dan holders to compete in WTF events (and vice versa). Since the Kukkiwon has long been more than willing to issue rank equal to that held in another org, this is something that has always been possible (although I do not know if any of the ITF splinters issues assimilation ranks in this manner).

It's a step, but it's not earth shattering.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Still it is a good step. With this ITF (ie. the one supported by the North Korean Government) and the WTF which is in South Korea and supported there it is a pretty important move forward. Is it earth shattering no. Yet, a good move forward for the Korean peninsula!

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken this is the Austria-HQ ITF (ITF - Homepage), so probably one of the easier ITF's to strike a deal with. One might conjecture that UK-HQ ITF (General Choi's son, International Taekwon-Do Federation || 2014) would be trickier for South Korea to deal with.

I wonder if there are any negotiations in the works with Spain-HQ ITF (International Taekwon-Do Federation Home). GTF (Global Taekwondo Federation - Taekwondo Wiki) ought to be a no-brainer since they broke away from Choi themselves years ago anyway.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
In 2001 General Choi's son and his followers were saying how NK was poised to take over the ITF and the ITF needed him to save them from all the things it was feared NK would do to and with the ITF. I was among those who said it would never happen anyway (silly me) because having NK in control would destroy the ITF due to fears of how NK would govern the org.

Fast forward to September 2002. NK stages a coup to take over the ITF initialy having a surprising number of peple drink the Koolaid and follow them only to have many including the following of the Korean GMs promoted by General Choi (Rhee ki Ha, Park Jong Soo, and Hwang) leave when the spell faded. Ultimately fracturing the ITF (The sons group having been marginalized by many departures and defections previously) and people would want to be associated with this org which met or exceeded the worst that was expected of them because??????

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am pleased to read this, it will be fine both organization will work together maybe not in unification but coexisting one with other, something I really like about ITF is the kyorugy rules and the way they sparr.

Mnny

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
This memorandum is just another step in order to keep Taekwondo in the Olympics.

Signing a memorandum that allows ITF members to participate in WTF tournaments is one thing, but how will this work on a national and international level in those countries that already have a national member organization affiliated with the WTF?

In the end we may see a North Korean team participating on an internatonal level and in the Olympics, but I doubt that much will change for all the national member organizations of the WTF.

Michael89

Orange Belt
Reaction score
so how does that work? their style of sparring are different. does that mean ITF TK-Dists will have to learn WTF style of sparring?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not that difficult to crossover. It's just another set of rules. And the agreement goes both ways. KKW Dan holders will be allowed to learn the ITF rules and fight in their tournies too.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes Michael89 just like Arlene Limas had to learn to fight by Olympic rules, she was a kung fu person that could fight.

DETLTU

White Belt
Reaction score
It's not that difficult to crossover. It's just another set of rules. And the agreement goes both ways. KKW Dan holders will be allowed to learn the ITF rules and fight in their tournies too.

I would love to get my rank recognized by the KKW, but I can't find anything about the process. No KKW schools in my area or even in my state to my knowledge.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would love to get my rank recognized by the KKW, but I can't find anything about the process. No KKW schools in my area or even in my state to my knowledge.

You don't say what state that is, but I would be REALLY surprised if there were a single state in the US that didn't have multiple schools that offer KKW certification.

Michael89

Orange Belt
Reaction score
that's pretty cool though, I bet i would also enjoy sparring under ITF rules.

DETLTU

White Belt
Reaction score
You don't say what state that is, but I would be REALLY surprised if there were a single state in the US that didn't have multiple schools that offer KKW certification.

Louisiana. there may be some, but I can't find any schools listed on USAT or particularly in my local area.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Louisiana. there may be some, but I can't find any schools listed on USAT or particularly in my local area.

The USAT website unfortunately doesn't list all the Kukkiwon-affiliated taekwondo schools in a given area. A more effective way to search might be to use Google Maps to get a list of taekwondo schools near to you, then one-at-at-time visit the webpage of each school. Once you're on a website, look for the USA Taewondo logo, a Kukkiwon logo, or an Olympics logo. If you don't see a logo on the website, try checking out the photo-gallery of that school; if they don't have a gallery on the website, they probably have one on their Facebook page. Again, looking at the banners within the dojang photos, you'll often see an Olympics-logo banner hanging in the dojang.

It would be nice if more websites were just more explicit about the style of taekwondo being taught, but often you have to do a little online detective work to sort it out. I've helped a number of my coworkers find Kukkiwon-style taekwondo schools in their neighborhoods, and it's not that hard to find using Google, but only if you know what you're looking for. I think a lot of smaller schools especially don't spend a lot of money on their websites, so there's a lot of information it would be USEFUL to have that nonetheless isn't there unless you know how to look for clues.

THEN...once you find the school, as I understand it (not that I'm an expert on this), as long as you're 3rd Dan and under, the process is pretty straightforward. Your new instructor at your new Kukkiwon-affiliated school -- once he or she is satisfied with your qualifications -- fills out some paperwork that makes a request to the Kukkiwon to award you an equivalent Kukkiwon rank. It's more complicated for 4th Dan and above, as I understand it.

DETLTU

White Belt
Reaction score
The USAT website unfortunately doesn't list all the Kukkiwon-affiliated taekwondo schools in a given area. A more effective way to search might be to use Google Maps to get a list of taekwondo schools near to you, then one-at-at-time visit the webpage of each school. Once you're on a website, look for the USA Taewondo logo, a Kukkiwon logo, or an Olympics logo. If you don't see a logo on the website, try checking out the photo-gallery of that school; if they don't have a gallery on the website, they probably have one on their Facebook page. Again, looking at the banners within the dojang photos, you'll often see an Olympics-logo banner hanging in the dojang.

It would be nice if more websites were just more explicit about the style of taekwondo being taught, but often you have to do a little online detective work to sort it out. I've helped a number of my coworkers find Kukkiwon-style taekwondo schools in their neighborhoods, and it's not that hard to find using Google, but only if you know what you're looking for. I think a lot of smaller schools especially don't spend a lot of money on their websites, so there's a lot of information it would be USEFUL to have that nonetheless isn't there unless you know how to look for clues.

THEN...once you find the school, as I understand it (not that I'm an expert on this), as long as you're 3rd Dan and under, the process is pretty straightforward. Your new instructor at your new Kukkiwon-affiliated school -- once he or she is satisfied with your qualifications -- fills out some paperwork that makes a request to the Kukkiwon to award you an equivalent Kukkiwon rank. It's more complicated for 4th Dan and above, as I understand it.

Thanks for the suggestion. That is sort of what got all of this started. I checked out all of the MA schools in the area before enrolling my son in a program. I'm not particularly satisfied with any of the schools. I have found one school about an hour away that teaches Olympic style sparring and WTF patterns, but the only Kukkiwon certificate they list is for one of the instructors 2nd Poom certification from the Kukkiwon many years ago. They don't list any current Dan rankings or anything else. Also the distance is a concern, but they only offer classes twice a week, so it might be an option for me.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have seen nothing the KKW by laws that would allow strait across rank for rank exchange with any organization. Even with that it starts at 1st Dan which allows WTF completion but to progress it requires time in rank and you cannot jump 1-5th ect. no matter what paper work the organization or person submits.

Latest Discussions