Kukkiwon ITF or WTF

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
...And it Reads correctly that way.

Since the TaeKwon is the Feet and Fists (Or Fists and Feet... Dammit im having a Brain Fart now :p), and Do is the Way, or Art of. As such, it reads more correctly in Korean to be;
Do-KwonTae. Or Do-Kwon Tae even.
That may be incorrect. The writing in hangul and even in hanji, makes it one word. There are no hyphens used no should there be. The hyphen was used by Gen Choi, now when he started using it would be the question. I do not recall the spelling every being with a hyphen until Gen Choi broke off from the other pioneers with the ITF.

Besides if we were to seperate 'do' from the other words, then we would also have Kum-do, Hapki-do, Hwarang-do, etc. They are all one word. If anything it would be 'tae kwon do'.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
That may be incorrect. The writing in hangul and even in hanji, makes it one word. There are no hyphens used no should there be. The hyphen was used by Gen Choi, now when he started using it would be the question. I do not recall the spelling every being with a hyphen until Gen Choi broke off from the other pioneers with the ITF.

Besides if we were to seperate 'do' from the other words, then we would also have Kum-do, Hapki-do, Hwarang-do, etc. They are all one word. If anything it would be 'tae kwon do'.

Interesting point.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
The ITF has always spelled it Taekwon-Do. The 1965 publication Taekwon-Do by gen. Choi Hong Hi spelled it Taekwon-Do. Gen. Choi did this to show the two aspects of Taekwon-Do, the physical and mental.

It was written "Taekwon-do" in General Choi's first english book because many of the books and magazines published in the mid 60's hyphenated "Karate-do", so they copied that. Given the fact that General Choi was not fluent in english, he probably didn't know what the english translation said or how it was handled, just like you would have no idea what a korean translation of your post said.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
A hyphen is used between the parts of a compound word (which is a single word composed of two, or more, other words). To say that Taekwon-Do is two words is incorrect. The hyphen just emphasizes the two aspects of the martial art.

Pax,

Chris

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A hyphen is used between the parts of a compound word (which is a single word composed of two, or more, other words). To say that Taekwon-Do is two words is incorrect. The hyphen just emphasizes the two aspects of the martial art.

Pax,

Chris
Yes, saying it was two words was incorrect, like hyphenating it in the first place is incorrect.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

What two aspects?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, saying it was two words was incorrect, like hyphenating it in the first place is incorrect.

This is subject to Translation.

For example; Dan Gun. Tan Gun.
Do San.
To San.

Theyre BOTH Correct. Its just a matter of how its read back from the Korean form of Writing, and when you source your Transliteration from.
Since Taekwon-Do is simply a transliteration of the hangul used it's not incorrect at all to use a hyphen.

Pax,

Chris

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
miguksaram said:

Do San.
To San.

Theyre BOTH Correct. Its just a matter of how its read back from the Korean form of Writing, and when you source your Transliteration from.

In your example they are. But adding a hyphen in is not, nor is adding spaces. Taekwondo in Korean is one word, a noun. It's spelt in Hangul as one word - 태권도 - not as three nor with a hyphen. I can understand it being written as Taekwondo, Taegwondo or even T'aekwondo depending on your romanisation choice (as per your examples above). But to put hyphens or spaces in is wrong, it's not an accepted romanisation method - the ones I'm aware of are Revised, Yale and McCune-Reischer - none of which say you should use hyphens in this way. To be fair Revised does have some hyphenation rules which on a first read may make you feel correct, including separating the administration unit (which also happens to be a 'do' character) but not for this purpose.

Take an English example - football. There are two dinstinct parts to this compound word, each has it's own concept - Foot and Ball. But when you write them together you aren't talking about a ball shaped like a foot, you are talking about Football the sport. It's the same with Taekwondo. Yes, each syllable has it's own meaning but when used together to describe the sport/art we all do then it's a single compound word noun and shouldn't be split up in any way.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Do San.
To San.

Actually the use of a hyphen in Taekwondo would not be correct. Let's look into the rules of hyphenating and you will see that Taekwondo does not fall into any of them. First and foremost we have to understand that hypens are strictly a western thing to help us understand the full Korean word. There are certain rules that go along with actual hyphening of the word.

First it was used to help separate the stem from the ending when a possible sound change is reflected in a stem's last and an ending's first consonant letter (e.g. pur-i vs. pul-i).

A hyphen has also been used to help distinguish syllables in certain words as well (example: ga-eul (fall/autumn) vs. gae-ul (stream).

There is separation of the term 'do' when referring to some place names like Jeollabuk-do.

Finally it is used in proper names like Lee, Won-kuk.

As it was already mentioned that Gen. Choi may have been basing his spelling off of Karate-do and words of the like. Overall it would still be a wrong western translation of the word.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know what? You can all work that one out. I can find Information for, and against, the Transliteration of the word to include a Hyphen. So bleh.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As an English transliteration of a compound word, however, it works fine.

Pax,

Chris
That's what I'm getting at. It is not a compound word. If that were the case then would it not be tae-kwon-do? It is written and is meant be translated as one word. For the record this is not my KKW slant on the debate, this is coming from several Koreans that I know who have no TKD connection whatsoever.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's what I'm getting at. It is not a compound word. If that were the case then would it not be tae-kwon-do? It is written and is meant be translated as one word. For the record this is not my KKW slant on the debate, this is coming from several Koreans that I know who have no TKD connection whatsoever.

Many people feel compelled to justify their position, even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. I am more like you, I am interested in discovering and discussing the truth. I want an accurate clear picture, not a distorted one.

Latest Discussions