Well rounded taekwondo

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are looking at things backwards. You are not really trying to identify which art is best. You are looking at best methods and that just becomes the art.

Which is what the arts are doing anyway. And why you can't really tell karate from boxing at a certain skill level.

You are identifying meta concepts.

This throws " sport evidence " out the window.

So you basically don't see standing armbars done anywhere. You don't see armbar takedowns done anywhere. You don't see them because there is almost always something easier and safer to apply.

(And they are mostly trained wrong)

And before you worry about street. Your methods have to work first.

That means you pretty much always go for easier and safer. Rather than what seems more street.
Weather original comment was about an art, not techniques. You are correct that armbar evidence would be evid nice for a similar armbar in any system. That doesn’t change that it’s easier to find evidence for Judo than for NGA, for example. The techniques that we share, the evidence is universal. It’s even arguable that similar techniques can borrow some credibility.

You are not incorrect. But what you are refuting is a claim I didn’t make.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Weather original comment was about an art, not techniques. You are correct that armbar evidence would be evid nice for a similar armbar in any system. That doesn’t change that it’s easier to find evidence for Judo than for NGA, for example. The techniques that we share, the evidence is universal. It’s even arguable that similar techniques can borrow some credibility.

You are not incorrect. But what you are refuting is a claim I didn’t make.

It is easier to find evidence for judo throws because more people can make them work.

Probably because the just work better.

Doesn't mean it is all judo. Street systems do judo throws.

Same with sports. It is easier to find evidence for sports move because more people can make them work.

That is not because there is this "sports evidence" it is just evidence.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is easier to find evidence for judo throws because more people can make them work.

Probably because the just work better.

Doesn't mean it is all judo. Street systems do judo throws.

Same with sports. It is easier to find evidence for sports move because more people can make them work.

That is not because there is this "sports evidence" it is just evidence.
You’re not saying anything different than I just said. That’s what I just told you.