WC/WT sparring

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Likewise Kamon, I would like to point out that different branches of WC (even within the Yip Man lineage) do the forms differently. As I look around at how some of the different WC/WT/VT masters do the forms. I try to reserve judgement until I see the application they intend for the movement. And visa versa. If the movement and the application make good sense I have no problem.

Now in the system I practice, there is an uppercut in Chum Kiu, and if you watch how the movement is executed, it is clear that this is the primary application. On the other hand, we do not have an uppercut in Biu Tze as you apparently do. We do however have an open-handed upward strike to the throat... but it is an altogether different kind of strike.

My point is that sometimes we should cut people some slack before we assume that they are wrong. My old Chinese sifu was quick to call those who disagreed with him "stupid" and worse names. Since I've moved on, I've found that some of these other ways of doing WC may make very good sense if you consider their context. Like you said, "Use what works".
I understand what you are saying a
nd it was not my intention to come across as ‘Kamon is right and everyone else is wrong’ – in fact there are some things that we do which has moved away from traditional movements

My point was that I know the different styles out there and I know the ‘uppercut’ he is referring to and where it takes place. In this instance it is a bad training technique to do an uppercut in this fashion. The energy in chum kil at that point is forward, so to change and go upward is poor

There is certainly nothing wrong with changing forms or doing something different as long as it has correct energy, movement and purpose

‘Uppercuts’ and ‘hooks’ in wing chun need to use the whole body to work. A boxers punch doesn’t. A boxer will obviously have more power if he uses a pivot, but it isn’t necessary to pull off the hook, which was the original point.
Chunners tend to proclaim that they teach everything and it is of course ALL wing chun. Nothing ever borrowed from other arts etc and that really gets my goat up

Instead of trying to make your art tick every box, use what works by training other styles and give them credit when its due. This is exactly why certain other forums harp on about wing chun sucking – because a lot of chunners are brainwashed in the belief that wing chun will solve everything thrown at them. It will not. Wing chun is a good art, but like all good arts, still misses certain things

Latest Discussions