WT lineage stance/steps to enhance rooting and power generation?

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Can you believe that the WC Bong Shou has already been used in Chinese wrestling?

1. Yes I can absolutely believe that, especially if you include a bong-sau compressing into lan-sau or even gwai-jarn. Sure. But....
2. I wouldn't call that "bong-sau" shaped technique in the GIF you provided a WC bong sau ...at least as I understand it. Similar shape, entirely different energy and function.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is very different from the old school Chinese thinking, according to which you chose a good school, work hard and impress your sifu enough to be allowed to do bai si and become his disciple, then you study his art, not others.

...or is it really so different? Every one of those old masters had a functional knowledge of other systems ...often picked up on the sly, testing their arts with friends from other lineages or systems. My old sifu insisted that his art was complete and the only art we should study or teach.

And yet many times in the early years, in private, he would let down his guard and demonstrate bits of Hung Gar, Choi Li Fut, Karate, and Judo. Definitely more than you could learn without having practiced.

Many have speculated that Yip Man similarly practiced and exchanged knowledge with others to further develop his technique, but because of this traditional approach where you would not "betray" your lineage, he used the "Leung Bic" story to cover for any changes he made and in this way allowed his old instructor and Si-Dai, Ng Chun So, to save face. He may also have learned actual material from Leung Bic. I don't know.

Anyway, I suppose I reflect contemporary Western culture when I say that your sifu's openness makes a whole lot of sense to me. Heck, maybe not even Western culture. John Wang also seems to favor learning several arts.
"you study his art, not others.
...or is it really so different? Every one of those old masters had a functional knowledge of other systems"

Yep. My sifu had trained in Judo and TKD prior to training wing chun. He also trained in boxing, muay thai, kali, JKD, tai chi, and dabbled in several other systems just to get a feel for them. He also has quite a bit of firearms training and police tactical training. As to my Sigung Jiu Wan, Sifu Fong says he knew more than wing chun but has never expounded on it even when asked other than he was a police officer in both Foshan and Hong Kong. He also doesn't talk much about his training other than to say they did a lot of drills & chi sao and that they went out on the streets to get into fights. There were a lot of gangs that fought a lot against each other. Jiu Wan would fuss angrily about them fighting but then would want to know what happen and if they lost a fight worked them hard so they'd not lose again. Anyway I don't buy much into most of the old masters having only one instructor and training in only one thing.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That's very interesting. If you don't mind me asking whats the stem of your branch of wing chun?

Duncan Leung branch. As someone else mentioned the backwards bend is towards the end of bil jee form. One use of it is to lean back to generate more power and range during certain movements. Hope that makes sense(?)

Poppity

Green Belt
Reaction score
Duncan Leung branch. As someone else mentioned the backwards bend is towards the end of bil jee form. One use of it is to lean back to generate more power and range during certain movements. Hope that makes sense(?)
Thanks !

Latest Discussions