Ways to escape without fighting?

First Action

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Im am trying to come up with exercises/activities (besides fighting) which lend themselves as something you may have to do to escape a violent situation. Things that with physical training, can be improved on.

So far I have

Fighting, swimming, running, par core, climbing and hiking

Any more suggestions?

grumpywolfman

Black Belt
Reaction score
Exercise #1:

"Be honest with yourself." - A person should know his limitations.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So we're just starting the same threads here and on MAP, and getting the same answers now, yeah?

Seriously, get to a school. Learn before you start trying to put things together. Whereabouts are you (I seriously doubt "Vagabond" as a location...)? The accent was Australian, and your original webpage ended in .com.au, so I (or a few others here) might know somewhere you could get these answers... cause, at the moment, it really seems like you're trying to get forums to do your work for you, without you getting any of the understanding that goes along with a proper education.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
So we're just starting the same threads here and on MAP, and getting the same answers now, yeah?

Seriously, get to a school. Learn before you start trying to put things together. Whereabouts are you (I seriously doubt "Vagabond" as a location...)? The accent was Australian, and your original webpage ended in .com.au, so I (or a few others here) might know somewhere you could get these answers... cause, at the moment, it really seems like you're trying to get forums to do your work for you, without you getting any of the understanding that goes along with a proper education.

Hes also starting threads on Fighttips.

Other than that, i shall repeat my comment about expecting other people to just give over phrases to be pasted into a book.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Teleportation.
Levitation.
Invisibility.
Growl and turn into the Hulk.

grumpywolfman

Black Belt
Reaction score
... i shall repeat my comment about expecting other people to just give over phrases to be pasted into a book.

It's good that you seen this - thankfully, you'll be safe from any chance of being quoted in his book.

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
Learn how to make your buttcheeks vibrate so fast that you'll be able to fly away, vagabond style.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't put your body in a place where it might need to escape a violent situation, using all of the above excellent suggestions :)

OP
First Action

First Action

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So we're just starting the same threads here and on MAP

Correct. I think it is best to get information from a number of sources. If the information is the same then good.

"Whereabouts are you (I seriously doubt "Vagabond" as a location...)?"

Also correct. Vagabond is not a location. It is a reference that I constantly move about. If you want specifics, right now Im in malaysia, in a couple of weeks Ill be in China, a fw months after that i may or may not be in the US.. and so on...

"at the moment, it really seems like you're trying to get forums to do your work for you"

This is not my intention although I understand your point of view

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Correct. I think it is best to get information from a number of sources. If the information is the same then good.

"Whereabouts are you (I seriously doubt "Vagabond" as a location...)?"

Also correct. Vagabond is not a location. It is a reference that I constantly move about. If you want specifics, right now Im in malaysia, in a couple of weeks Ill be in China, a fw months after that i may or may not be in the US.. and so on...

"at the moment, it really seems like you're trying to get forums to do your work for you"

This is not my intention although I understand your point of view

Stop.

Stop trying to get a substitute for actual education.

Stop thinking you know anything.

Stop thinking your in a position to educate or teach.

If you want to be in a position to teach, stop moving for once, settle down, and actually study. You haven't done that yet.

You know what? Just stop.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im am trying to come up with exercises/activities (besides fighting) which lend themselves as something you may have to do to escape a violent situation. Things that with physical training, can be improved on.

So far I have

Fighting, swimming, running, par core, climbing and hiking

Any more suggestions?

Any physical activity will certainly give benefits cardio wise. Of course, as someone else mentioned, being able to verablly defuse a situation, in addition to plain old awareness, is a huge plus.

Out of curiosity, what is your training background? I assume that you're interested in training, judging by recent threads of yours. Are there no schools in your area to train at?

OP
First Action

First Action

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Stop.

Stop trying to get a substitute for actual education.

Stop thinking you know anything.

Stop thinking your in a position to educate or teach.

You know what? Just stop.

Hi Chris,

You said it a few times and Ive just been ignoring it but advice of 'just stop' is the worst advice I have ever heard. I hope you don't teach you students that. . In fact most of your comments are just plain negative..

Well no, I take that back.. At the start your comments were very insightful, just as of late they have been negative

If you want to be in a position to teach, stop moving for once, settle down, and actually study. You haven't done that yet.

This came pretty close to good advice, until you assumed to know what I have and havent done.

Actually, the first half of the first sentence is really good from a business perspective also

Last edited:
OP
First Action

First Action

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Any physical activity will certainly give benefits cardio wise. Of course, as someone else mentioned, being able to verablly defuse a situation, in addition to plain old awareness, is a huge plus.

This is the kind of information thats actually useful to me. I think Ill just stick to replying to posts like this from now on.. its a much better use of time.

I have done some research on 'verbal judo' in the past so thanks for bringing it up. Ill definately look into it some more.

Out of curiosity, what is your training background? I assume that you're interested in training, judging by recent threads of yours. Are there no schools in your area to train at?

I posted something for this at http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php/107696-FASD-Street-Fighting-Strategy/page2

Thanks for an on-topic post.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well no, I take that back.. At the start your comments were very insightful, just as of late they have been negative

Chris gets that way after needing to repeat or explain the same general thing a few times to no avail.
Or something like that.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi Chris,

You said it a few times and Ive just been ignoring it but advice of 'just stop' is the worst advice I have ever heard. I hope you don't teach you students that. . In fact most of your comments are just plain negative..

This came pretty close to good advice, until you assumed to know what I have and havent done.

Actually, the first half of the first sentence is really good from a business perspective also

Right...

Your entire laundry list of training was short stints with no real basis, which shows through in all of your videos (pity they're not up anymore... hmm...), all (I'm going to repeat that for emphasis here... ALL) of your blogs show that you have no real grounding or experience. That's why I said for you to kill the site (you haven't.... you've changed its look, so it's prettier, at least, but the content is still terrible), it's doing no one any good other than your ego.

I was going to put this in your "FASD Strategy" thread, but as you've decided that I'm being (potentially needlessly) negative... here's your blog on group assaults:

HOW TO BEAT A HOSTILE GANG IN A STREET FIGHT

Whenever faced with more than one opponent, the threat level goes up exponentially. Escape is the only priority. It is not a time to test your skills and try to take them all out.
When first approached by multiple opponents, you can take the same steps as for any confronting situation, but must also keep in mind a few extras. Establish who the gang leader is and concentrate on him. It is usually the biggest male or the one doing all the talking. Make eye contact with the leader and hold it. Do not talk to the other attackers except to issue orders. Remain confident and continually move forward while quietly but firmly asking the attackers to get out of your way. This may cause him to back down and usually the rest of the gang will follow suit. If they do not start backing off, use your voice and yell at them. Continue to walk forward, but maintain some space between you, all the while holding eye contact, even if he breaks it. Stay aware of your surroundings and try not to get surrounded. This can be achieved if you keep moving. You can use other people to shield you as you pass, and as soon as you see a break in the gang, go for it.

If all this fails and physical conflict is inevitable, then you should not hold back. Go for the leader of the attackers first and be excessive on him to warn the others, then encourage them to take their friend to hospital. Make use of your peripheral vision to detect the direction and nature of the first attack. The leader of the attack will not necessarily be the leader of the gang. It is usually the person who is the first to move towards you in an aggressive fashion. To give yourself the best chance, you want to have it so you only have to take on one attacker at a time. This can be achieved by lining them up so that they are forced in each others way. Using single lanes and other surroundings can also aid you in this. You could also push them into each other. You need to protect your back. If you do get surrounded, break through the circle and take out who you think is the weakest link. You may also consider finding a weapon, but keep in mind that if you are disarmed then it is more likely that it will be used against you than if you had not picked it up in the first place.
It is very hard to fight more than one person if you are tangled up, so avoid grappling, and especially being taken to the ground. This means that you need to take care of your balance more than usual, so unnecessary kicking should not be employed. Work to the flanks, try to gain distance, and always continue to look for escape so that you can run as soon as viable.

And, to ensure that you weren't taken out of context, here is the blog post itself: http://firstactionselfdefense.net/beat-hostile-gang-street-fight/

If you think any part of this is good advice, get out of teaching self defence. If you think any of this results in survival, get out of fantasy land.

And, yeah, I'm getting a little fed up... it's just too easy to show how bad you are.

Latest Discussions