Washing Your Belt

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
At the very least, don't take it off wet and throw it in a dark closet. Ew.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
While we don't tend to worry too much about ironing the gi or stuff like that, hygiene is a big deal in BJJ, so I'm an advocate of washing the belt. That said, many don't for whatever reason. at the very least, use an antibacterial spray like Odoban. It's cheap and it makes it smell better.

But I'd recommend washing the belt, at least occasionally. I promise that no knowledge will wash out. :)

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This has been discussed a few times. Many usually chime in that their belt never needs washing in the first place. I came across this link, where the poster actually developed mold on his!

http://www.karatethejapaneseway.com...?t=10011&sid=3b0b77ed8e34b2aa797acc43a2a19cea

There are all sorts of old wives' tales, regarding the "evils" of washing one's belt.

Those tales are simply that; nothing more than fairy tales. If someone chooses to believe in such, that's his choice, but I'd much rather someone not actually believe that we can turn pumpkins into full-fledged, luxurious stagecoaches.

There are some people who refuse to wash their belts for the fear of "washing out the power," and to that I ask "does the belt itself contain all of that wonderful martial arts knowledge, or does the knowledge dwell within your own body?" I would think that regardless of whether you're wearing an obi or not, that you are still a martial artist, and that your knowledge is still 100% intact.

Besides, when someone smells badly, it creates a distraction to the others in the dojo. It's no different than someone who literally douses himself / herself with massive amounts of cologne / perfume, and makes people's eyes water.

Is it OK for someone to put his own personal pride, above the well-being of the entire class? I would think not.

Washing your belt in a gentle cycle in the washing machine, in combination with a mild detergent (Woolite works well for those who want to be as gentle as possible), combined with a very gentle spin cycle, and a hang-drying, will not harm your belt. Your knowledge will still be intact.

The only case where I can see someone not wanting to wash the belt in the washing machine, is if the belt were a very, very delicate one. In that case, immersion in a container of water mixed in with a mild soap (such as Ivory) and some gentle agitation can help remove the bad smell.

If, however, your belt is in such a bad condition that it could fall apart with even the above gentle treatment, then perhaps you should consider retiring that belt, and getting a new one. Again, your knowledge is within your own body, not within a piece of cloth.

Stuey

Orange Belt
Reaction score
First off, I find it bizzarre that ones belt would need washing in the first place! It hardly has a double use as a sweat band for the waist. With children, however, I realise accidents can, (and will) happen. A friend who was young enough to have his washing done by mummy, (could be anything up to about 40 yrs old then), had the shortest belt in class, it looked rediculous! When asked he told of his mother washing the belt the length of which was forfeit. If it needs washing, be careful. I know how to use a washing machine, many more dont!

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
First off, I find it bizzarre that ones belt would need washing in the first place!

I am a heavy sweater and my training sessions usually last 2 hours. My belt can and does become wet from my perspiration. I also teach a fair amount of close range self-defense, so my students frequently are laying on top of each other or are bear-hugging one another. Transfer of sweat from one person to another unavoidably occurs in those situations.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have never washed my belt but have also never put it away wet, always have let it dry out.

Stuey

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am a heavy sweater and my training sessions usually last 2 hours. My belt can and does become wet from my perspiration. I also teach a fair amount of close range self-defense, so my students frequently are laying on top of each other or are bear-hugging one another. Transfer of sweat from one person to another unavoidably occurs in those situations.
Wow, thats some good going. I know the usual general purpose Gi's are/can be quite thick so maybe that goes part way to explaining it. Our club Gi's are pretty thin. It seems to work well, we dont do much if any grappling work/ground work. I am considering another club for that when someone invents the 27 hour day! The summer can get pretty hot so its good to have a thin Gi. The winter seems comfortable if you are putting enough work in. I usually sweat right out of my head.
My boy, (6 yrs old) got Ketchup on his white belt. Fortunately my daughter had moved on to yellow belt and so I gave him hers.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First off, I find it bizzarre that ones belt would need washing in the first place! It hardly has a double use as a sweat band for the waist. With children, however, I realise accidents can, (and will) happen. A friend who was young enough to have his washing done by mummy, (could be anything up to about 40 yrs old then), had the shortest belt in class, it looked rediculous! When asked he told of his mother washing the belt the length of which was forfeit. If it needs washing, be careful. I know how to use a washing machine, many more dont!

I do a lot of grappling with my belt on, keeps me decent lol so I get other people's sweat on me, ugh! And we really do have some guys who sweat, the worst is when they sweat all over the mats then you end up rolling in it because they haven't had the decency to mop it up despite the fact I buy those disinfectant wipes....oooh I feel a rant coming on here!
Anyway, I have to wash mine fairly often, doesn't do it any harm. Oh and our lot are bleeders, they get cuts and bloody noses and do they wipe it up after themselves, no, it's me, they get squemish big brave MMA fighters they are lol, well they are fine until it's their blood! so I've had blood on my belt a couple of times, plus I've used it to tie up and immobilise a dislocated shoulder we had one night (you wondered then didn't you what I was going to say when you saw the word tie and it being me lol) and the doctor at casualty borrowed it to put the shoulder back, he said it was ideal so we took them down some white belts to use.
I learnt to do the shoulder and belt thing from my instructor who was an army medic, we've had four dislocations so far, one of them his lol! His and one other he popped back.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure my mother washed my white belts when I was younger. I personally have never washed my belt though. My gi I wash and iron after every practice (except when it's 2 training days in a row).

J Ellis

Green Belt
Reaction score
It was the tradition in my first dojo to dye your belt for kyu grades. I kept my first belt through white, yellow (x2), orange (x2), and green (x2). Then our house flooded, and by the time I discovered my gear bag while emptying that part of the house, several days had passed and the belt was still wet and molded (it had been folded in the bag).

I threw it away, and I have wished ever since I had not.

It never occurred to me to wash it. I had always heard never to wash the belt. I never knew the reason not to. :banghead:

Joel

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Never had a problem with washing belts, usually didn't have to in TKD, but in BJJ it's once a week or so. There's a lot more sweating in BJJ :). I also dry gi and belts in the dryer too though, I'd rather buy a new Gi every so often than deal with the board-stiff roughness of the air-dry approach.

And yeah, none of my knowledge seems to wash out of the belt heh.

I think with that 'don't wash it' thing is basically trying to create tradition out of thin air. Like letting the belt touch the ground being disrespectful to it etc... um, it's cloth, it'll get over it. While it does have some meaning, mostly it holds my gi closed (or dobok as the case may be).

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
LOL whenever my hubby needs a little incentive to be nice, I can threaten to throw his belt in the washing machine and wash out the knowledge :D.

Really, it's a superstition.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I typically never wash mine, but in July we train outside in the forest. I happens that I roll through sand and grass, and it will get dirty.
a short wash at low temperature (30 degrees celsius) and 20 minutes does the trick.

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This has been discussed a few times. Many usually chime in that their belt never needs washing in the first place. I came across this link, where the poster actually developed mold on his!

http://www.karatethejapaneseway.com...?t=10011&sid=3b0b77ed8e34b2aa797acc43a2a19cea

Hello,

Out of tradition, I have never washed my brown or black belts. They seem to wear better and longer that way. As I practice more of a "stand up" art, with little mat work, not washing has worked fine for many years.

I would probably reconsider if I practiced an art with lots of close "one on one" mat work, or if it was soiled with a very large amount of "whatever". I would likely have two belts. One for washing, if necessary, and another for those "less then real damp" encounters.

A little bit of dirt and sweat never hurts a belt... Especially if allowed to dry properly after use. AND... How is a white belt expected to become "black" from years of sweat and dirt, if you wash it??? :) :) :)

Thank you,
Milt G.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wonder what the origin is of "not washing your belt?" It certainly seems to be a US thing, but why? When I look at other "traditions" like "don't let your belt touch the ground" I can understand a possible origin.... Instructors not wanting kids to treat it badly & drag it on the ground. But why not wash the belt?

Any thoughts?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think not letting the belt touch the ground was a simple cleanliness issue, as well as an issue of discipline. It's also a safety issue; a belt carelessly thrown around is an invitation for someone to trip or fall by getting tangled up in it...

But the "never wash your belt" and concomitant mythology? I don't get that at all. I presume some of the early belts here in the US wouldn't stand up well to washing... so I guess someone built a story to go around that?

kingkong89

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have never washed my belt or put it away wet i know some who wash their belt to put age on it but im one that knows i earned my black belt and i want to earn the wwear and tears it will recieve along the rest of my martial arts journey

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The traditions in my school are more practical. Things like, don't go into the bathroom barefoot, cover any open wound and and wear a clean gi ever single class. While my coach is among the more "traditional" BJJ coaches you'll find, while he'll say, "Don't wash the knowledge out of your belt," he really doesn't care one way or the other as long as your hygiene is solid.

Uchinanchu

Green Belt
Reaction score
Here in Okinawa, many practitioners wash their obi (out of necessity). Okinawan summers are very hot and humid! Our dojo training time is in the evening, starting around 7:30 and goes to around 10:00. Even so, it is still extremely humid and hot (buildings here are mostly concrete and hold in heat a long time).
By the end of class, our dogi and obi are usually soaked through. I might get away with just airing it out to dry for a few sessions, but eventually, washing is required unless you want some seriously nasty growth on your belt!
It's not a "sin" to wash your belt, people...it's just good, old-fashioned common sense/hygiene.