Was thinking

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The things I have tended to stick with the longest are things that involve problem-solving, at increasingly challenging levels. For me, in a way, that's what martial arts are.

There is a situation of danger to give you some incentive to solve the problem efficiently in real time, cleanly enough to get away, at least. There is a relatively small number of basic elements to both the attack and the defense, determined by our biomechanics (though the environment can be a kind of wild card, ramping up the level of difficulty), but these can be combined in almost unlimited ways. You have to recognize the threat, identify the best solution and carry it out cleanly—and the best solution is going to be the one that leaves you in the best possible position after your move, and your opponent in the worst. It's like a pool player who calculates not just the effect of the shot, but the lie of the cue ball afterwards, so that the maximum number of balls can be sunk while leaving the opponent with the minimum of room to maneuver.

Skiing was for me very much the same kind of thing. I wasn't interested in powder skiing; racing and mogul fields were the incentive for me, because both of them involve problems—set by the designers of the slalom course in the first case and by the repetitive turning patterns of all the skiers before you on that run, that season—and you have to solve the problems the gates or the bumps pose elegantly and cleanly, or wind up bouncing halfway down the run on your butt, with at least one of your skis a couple of hundred vertical yards above you. It's not quite as convincing an incentive as walking away safe and sound from some violent defective intent on breaking various parts of you, but it does give you some sincere motivation to learn the rules of the game—spot the line, stick to it, commit yourself to the fall line, and keep a cool head.

I think possibly the most satisfying feeling in the world comes from confronting a difficult technical problem and solving it crisply and economicaly. To me, that's what the notion of mastery is all about. The harder the problems, the more satisfaction there is in being able to solve them. It becomes kind of addictive, like logic puzzles or chess or anything like that. The MAs have all of the same traits as chess, in a way, but there's an extra dimension of space, and a lot more reason, in terms of sheer physical survival, to become good at the game...

Last edited:

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lots of reasons for me, and they've changed over the years.

I first was introduced to the martial arts when I was seven and it was mainly for a tool to deal with neighborhood bullies who were two to four years older than myself. That and 'karate' was cool, even though it was really taekwondo and then tangsoodo, then taekwondo again.

When I was in high school, the fact that I knew 'karate' kept me clear of any bullies and when I was eighteen, I got back into it formally, mainly because I wanted to be a badass and for further SD training. I was taught very well and after two years, being a bad *** was pretty well drummed out of me, replaced with solid discipline, respect, and confidence born of skills learned: I no longer needed to be a badass. That need was born of teenaged insecurities.

The years took me away from taekwondo and into the sword arts, which I eventually began teaching, and then brought me back to taekwondo, which I no longer call karate, and into hapkido, which I never called karate.

By this time, martial arts was simply a part of who I am. It has done so much for me in so many parts of my life that it would be difficult for me to sum them all up. Now, my goal is self improvement and transmission of knowledge. I feel that anything that has benefited me I have a responsibility to share with others to the fullest degree possible.

Also, I just plain love the martial arts.:D

Daniel

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have been doing the Chinese martial arts for 31 years and my reasons for doing it have evolved over the years. At first, being small 5'4" and 150 lbs, I had been in wrestling for 4 years in high school and at 18, and starting college, wanted something that would continue my ability to defend myself and frankly, about that time the show Kung Fu had come out and I commenced my lifelong study and appreciation of the Chinese culture and history.

As the years passed, I began to realize I did and do it for the following:

1) The number of incredible people I have met while competing, judging, training, etc. that I could have met nowhere else!
2) The ability to teach my kids, with a straight face, the advantages of being an honorable, ethical, principled husband, father, and man during these times by example rather than words.
3) As several have said here, the true joy of passing on what my teachers have shown me to students, who have shown me what one of my masters taught me one day, "to teach is to learn faster than any time as a student!" I love teaching, and my students, and my classmates, show me all the time how much I do not know!!
4) Knowing that at age 50, though I have joint issues, Chron's disease, and a couple of other things, in general I am in better shape than most people my age and can still do a split...LOL!! Just tougher getting back up now!!
5) Since taking up Yang tai chi 12 years ago to help my kung fu training, spiritual growth, and ability to protect myself, I have found that the positive self image and discipline allowed me to know how to balance things when I went back to grad school in my 40s and balanced work, family, training, and school for 2 years and came out the other side.
6) Lastly, God and the martial arts are the only two things that have been consistently there and loyal no matter what. I am on my third and last wife, and finally found someone to balance me!! But, for instance, I have three kung fu bros, each from my three different masters, who have been brothers to me for the last 26 years.

Those are only some of the reasons.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was 5 when I started martial arts, so, I don't have many memories that aren't related to fighting or martial arts. Not only did Martial Arts give the ability to defend myself (which, unfortunatlely I had to use on many occasions whild growing up) It also gave me an outlet for negative feelings. I've always felt happiest when I was plugged in and training. Doesn't really matter the art: TKD, wrestling, Karate, Jiujitsu, San Soo, Tai Chi, Kempo... They all give me the basic feeling that I am earning my existance.

That's really the core of it: I'm earning my existance. I don't take life for granted because of the martial arts. When you discover just how easy to die, life has a new flavor. With martial arts, I'm investing time, sweat, blood, tears, and skin with the HOPE that this will one day save my life (It has on more than one occasion, as often as not from inanimate objects). The warrior does not fear death because he has faced it often. He is then more apt to live life more fully, not hindered or paralyzed by fear.

But there are many reasons I train and continue to. I love the challenges that come with learning new material, I love the health benefits (my wife certainly loves the strength and flexibility!), I love the friends I have made in all walks of life that i wouldn't have met otherwise. I love being privelidged to share my knowledge with my students and see then grow and lives change. I love that after training for 21 years it still feels like I'm only at the tip of the iceberge of martial knowledge. Most of all, I love the peace that comes with training.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The things I have tended to stick with the longest are things that involve problem-solving, at increasingly challenging levels. For me, in a way, that's what martial arts are.

I think possibly the most satisfying feeling in the world comes from confronting a difficult technical problem and solving it crisply and economicaly. To me, that's what the notion of mastery is all about. The harder the problems, the more satisfaction there is in being able to solve them. It becomes kind of addictive, like logic puzzles or chess or anything like that. The MAs have all of the same traits as chess, in a way, but there's an extra dimension of space, and a lot more reason, in terms of sheer physical survival, to become good at the game...

Holy Hanna Batman! How did you get those words out of my head! Exquisite!
Lori M

hogstooth

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have been studying my art for over 30 yrs and teaching for 25 of those. I do it because I have loved it since the first time my dad took me to his dojo and I watched him teach. I can still remember the first time I saw enter the dragon and the way I felt. It some how transforms over the years and you start to do it to share that same feeling with others and you want the next generation to carry on what you have spent your life loving and promoting. I don't know if I will ever get burned out on this life long quest.
Everything else in life changes. jobs, women, hobbies, etc. but this is the one constant that you can count on. It keeps us healthy, keeps us humble, teaches us to help others, and so many other good qualities. This for me is not a hobby it is a life long love affair that I can't ever see ending. I love the MA. Pure and simple.