Stop trying to pull the wool over my eyes

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In another case, I had my black belt and some rank as well. I was invited to a Judo/Jujitsu class. They were just getting into BJJ. This was '94-'95 time frame. The person who invited me did not show up. So, I did not change into my uniform and was getting ready to leave when the instructor asked me to get changed and come on out. I tried to explain that I had rank but was wearing a white belt as I was there to see what they had with an open mind. He would not listen and just put me with a black belt to be able to learn more from him. And most likely not hurt anyone while learning. I did not have a problem with this. The problem arose when the Black Belt decided to not work on what the senior was teaching and to just work on what he called chokes so I would have to tap out. Now, I have no problem tapping out. It is a safety that is used to avoid injury and I support it. His technique he wanted was not an actual choke but was a neck compression/ spine separation and I tapped as I did not want a permanent neck injury. He laughed and told me that I would pass out because that is what he liked to see. I replied he would break my neck before I passed out. He just kept it up and applied more force. As his technique had been entered with me giving it to him my hands were free. I poked him in the throat he stiff armed up off me. I grabbed his wrist and with his stiff arm I was able to do a wrist lock and throw / reverse him to the ground./ He was in a mount on me. I ended up in his guard. I then explained what he was trying to me and then showed him the choke he meant to do instead of the break. He was tapping the whole time and screaming totally scarred that he was going to get hurt. I then released him before damage and passing out. the whole class was watching me as I stood up. I guess they heard me telling him all about the difference of the break versus the choke form his guard while he was tapping and trying to yell. The senior instructor just looked at me. I bowed and asked to be dismissed. He walked over to me and asked what the heck happened. I explained it to him. He was upset, and apologized, and said he would talk to the guy as he had been told not to do that in the past. The senior asked me to stay so I would not walk out and have him loose respect from other prospective / new students. As he apologized I said ok. So he put me with this guy that made me look and feel small. It was hard to get into good positions on him, but we both tried to make it all work. Afterwards I just left and never went back.

So, while I was wearing a white belt, I could be accused of pulling the wool over their eyes because of my actual training. So which is worse, having no training and claiming it or having some and denying it. Now, I did not deny it nor was it my intent, but that is how it fell into place .

This bit scared me! Would I be right in thinking this guy did this to whoever he was partnered with regardless of their rank or experience? Hopefully he'll have learnt from his encounter with you but the one thing I can't stand is people who do things like this.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This bit scared me! Would I be right in thinking this guy did this to whoever he was partnered with regardless of their rank or experience? Hopefully he'll have learnt from his encounter with you but the one thing I can't stand is people who do things like this.

That was my impression, that he did this to all he could. It was also my impression when the senior stated he had already talked to him about this type of attitude.

I dislike it as well.

GuroJason

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That was my impression, that he did this to all he could. It was also my impression when the senior stated he had already talked to him about this type of attitude.

I dislike it as well.

I think the dude should've been booted from the school. Rei, Courtesy, or whatever the initial/ending gesture of the art, or if there even is one depending on the art, and if not, then the training itself usually is done under a guiding pretense, and that is "we are here to train out of respect for each other and of the art." I don't think there's any room on a training floor or mat for this type of--well, I'll say masochistic--egotism.

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, so one night I was teaching class and a guy walked in my dojang, I walked up to him smiled and bowed, then extented my hand, introduced myself and said how can I help you Sir? He said his name and then......said he was a Master of Ninjitsu, looking to train some where and quite possibly wanted to know if he could teach at my school. I asked some basic questions like, do you know who Dr. Hatsumi is? (not sure on the spelling) I am a TKDist and i have a basic understanding of the Doctor.
He did not! We had been working on wrist locks at the end of class. He kept insisting he would like to demonstate some.....On me, I said, "absolutley not...I don't know you." He was about thirtyfive years old, did I mention he brought his mom in with him? Because this is where its gets interesting! None of my students would allow him to demonstrate. so his mom (who was in her late fifties) steped up-so he could "demonstrate" she threw a hap-hazard swing at him, he evaded and put her into a really sweet looking "Key lock sort of move" Well, he sinched it in...and POP! Yes, he popped his mom's shoulder out of socket. she yelled out in pain, and he said, (I am not kidding you) "mom, let me nerve punch it back in place" :eek: My black belts looked at me just like that! Here it is again, :eek:
By the way that was the way she looked at him after the dislocation!
It was apparent he was a fake. But he came in for a couple of nights to try class, and kept asking what belt I would start him out with. I kept telling him, ah....white. The last night he came to class I ask he hold the body shield for my chief instructor and myself. He agreed, and we took turns slamming arc kicks in to the body shield. On my first kick it displaced his body a few feet backwards. :lfao: The look on his face was priceless :eek: Needless to say, after that night he never came back. I have had a few other people come in a say they were a black belt in "whatever" and they didn't know squat. Any similar stories? I would love to hear them. I glad I had the forsight NOT to let him apply a Lock to me.

Live Long and Prosper
\

Ahhhh, ninja carl!!!

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In another case, I had my black belt and some rank as well. I was invited to a Judo/Jujitsu class. They were just getting into BJJ. This was '94-'95 time frame. The person who invited me did not show up. So, I did not change into my uniform and was getting ready to leave when the instructor asked me to get changed and come on out. I tried to explain that I had rank but was wearing a white belt as I was there to see what they had with an open mind. He would not listen and just put me with a black belt to be able to learn more from him. And most likely not hurt anyone while learning. I did not have a problem with this. The problem arose when the Black Belt decided to not work on what the senior was teaching and to just work on what he called chokes so I would have to tap out. Now, I have no problem tapping out. It is a safety that is used to avoid injury and I support it. His technique he wanted was not an actual choke but was a neck compression/ spine separation and I tapped as I did not want a permanent neck injury. He laughed and told me that I would pass out because that is what he liked to see. I replied he would break my neck before I passed out. He just kept it up and applied more force. As his technique had been entered with me giving it to him my hands were free. I poked him in the throat he stiff armed up off me. I grabbed his wrist and with his stiff arm I was able to do a wrist lock and throw / reverse him to the ground./ He was in a mount on me. I ended up in his guard. I then explained what he was trying to me and then showed him the choke he meant to do instead of the break. He was tapping the whole time and screaming totally scarred that he was going to get hurt. I then released him before damage and passing out. the whole class was watching me as I stood up. I guess they heard me telling him all about the difference of the break versus the choke form his guard while he was tapping and trying to yell. The senior instructor just looked at me. I bowed and asked to be dismissed. He walked over to me and asked what the heck happened. I explained it to him. He was upset, and apologized, and said he would talk to the guy as he had been told not to do that in the past. The senior asked me to stay so I would not walk out and have him loose respect from other prospective / new students. As he apologized I said ok. So he put me with this guy that made me look and feel small. It was hard to get into good positions on him, but we both tried to make it all work. Afterwards I just left and never went back.

So, while I was wearing a white belt, I could be accused of pulling the wool over their eyes because of my actual training. So which is worse, having no training and claiming it or having some and denying it. Now, I did not deny it nor was it my intent, but that is how it fell into place.

Man, that guy is the kind of ma'ists i dont like. People are there to LEARN, not be choked out. If you tap, that means you got caught, you learned, lets try again. And the instructor (knowing it was your first night) shouldve kept a close eye on you, for this exact reason. This guy needs a junkpunch in the man business.

Latest Discussions