Was Rush right on this one?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
We live in an extraordinarily-complex society, in which we have to rely upon one another in all sorts of ways. Rush et al just can't stand that reality, and try to erase it at every turn.

YAY!! YAY!! YAY!! This is SO fundamentally true. The human species would not have advanced this far without its members aiding one another.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tgace said:
What was the average income, insurance and benefit packages for employees in the towers? How much did the employers pay out? Not that Americans giving charity was wrong, its a great example of American spirit, but I would think that those poor souls were in a better fiscal situation than many. Its a tough topic to face because what happened to those poor people was so awful.
Along the lines of not joining the service expecting to collect rewards,
Some of the relief organized post 9/11 was to help the surviving families of the Police and Fireman who already had equivalent or better life insurance policies than the SGLI plan you mentioned.

I have no problem with them recieving sympathetic aid, but it does seem that it followed a 'Bambi' syndrome where the outpouring of help was because of a temporary emotional state that has subsided.

Now we have soldiers/servicemen dying in the service (at least that is how THEY feel about it) of keeping 9/11's of the future from happening and I don't see any kind of private aid above and beyond their service benefits being offered.

Again, I am not saying that they 'deserve it' but just noticing how such patterns can rise and fall, thus the 'Bambi' syndrome comment.

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
sorry if you disagree, but I felt I had to pass this one along.

By Rush Limbaugh:

"I think the vast differences in compensation between victims of the September
11 casualty and those who die serving our country in Uniform are profound No
one is really talking about it either, because you just don't criticize anything
having to do with September 11. Well, I can't let the numbers pass by because
it says something really disturbing about the entitlement mentality of this
country. If you lost a family member in the September 11 attack, you're going
to get an average of $1,185,000. The range is a minimum guarantee of $250,000,
all the way up to $4.7 million.

If you are a surviving family member of an American soldier killed in action,
the first check you get is a $6,000 direct death benefit, half of which is
taxable.

Next, you get $1,750 for burial costs. If you are the surviving spouse, you
get $833 a month until you remarry. And there's a payment of $211 per month
for each child under 18. When the child hits 18, those payments come to a
screeching halt.

Keep in mind that some of the people who are getting an average of $1.185
million up to $4.7 million are complaining that it's not enough. Their deaths
were tragic, but for most, they were simply in the wrong place at the wrong
time. Soldiers put themselves in harms way FOR ALL OF US, and they and their
families know the dangers.

We also learned over the weekend that some of the victims from the Oklahoma City
bombing have started an organization asking for the same deal that the September
11 families are getting. In addition to that, some of the families of those
bombed in the embassies are now asking for compensation as well.

You see where this is going, don't you? Folks, this is part and parcel of over
50 years of entitlement politics in this country. It's just really sad.
Every time a pay raise comes up for the military, they usually receive next to
nothing of a raise. Now the green machine is in combat in the Middle East
while their families have to survive on food stamps and live in low-rent
housing.

Make sense?

However, our own U.S. Congress voted themselves a raise. Many of you don't
know that they only have to be in Congress one time to receive a pension that is
more than $15,000 per month. And most are now equal to being millionaires
plus. They do not receive Social Security on retirement because they didn't
have to pay into the system.

If some of the military people stay in for 20 years and get out as an E-7, they
may receive a pension of $1,000 per month, and the very people who placed them
in harm's way receives a pension of $15,000 per month.

I would like to see our elected officials pick up a weapon and join ranks before
they start cutting out benefits and lowering pay for our sons and daughters who
are now fighting."

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i didnt know there was that much of a difference. Surely the men and women who willingly go and fight for our freedom should get more then they are, and yea 9/11 was sad but i dont think they should get that much either. I do think they should be compensated but that is a bit much. Its sad how much greed people have even durring times of sorrow

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
9-11 while tragic, was what I call "unintentional deaths". By that I mean that no-one sent those people into the twin towers to die. They went to work and were unfortunate to be in harms way, same with the Firefighters and Police Officers who were "going to work" to rescue those people trapped.

American soldiers/sailors die "intentional deaths." By that I mean that they sign up for volunteer (paid) service of their country knowingly that they could be sent to combat/volitile areas and be killed in the line of duty. It is a risk that every soldier/sailor realizes when they sign the papers and swear the oath.

Being willing to die for one's country certianly outweighs one who dies as a result of an attack upon our country. I realize that the families of the victims of 9-11 were suddenly bereft of a valuable source of family and economic support when the planes smashed into the buildings and they came crashing down. But in many cases; so are many of the families of the ones who go to serve in the armed forces.
The families of the American soldier/sailor that voluntarily place themselves in front of the weapons of their (our) enemies certianly should be compensated far more than those victims of an attack against us. The same I believe applies to the families of Firefighters and Police Officers as they are sacrificing their lives in SERVICE. They get paid to put themselves in harms way and thus their familes as well should be duly compensated. U.S. Military personel swear an oath that in part swears to protect against all invaders foreign and domestic.

I agree Bammx2, t'ain't right. T'ain't right t'all.
:asian:

R

raedyn

Thanks for finding that thread, shesulsa. I was pretty sure we'd talked about that rant before. Your link, however, is broken. So here's a pointer to the thread in question. =)

Latest Discussions