Why do the Terrorists Hate Us?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first question you should ask about your enemy is why he is your enemy in the first place.
—Joseph Sobran, writing about Sept. 11th just hours after it happened.

In 1973 I went to boarding school fresh from a suburban home in Peekskill, N.Y. Up to that time the only foreigners I’d ever met were my family’s friends from Portugal and Canada, my best friend’s parents from Holland, my friend’s Italian relatives, and a few Japanese and Korean martial arts teachers, but almost none of them count because by the time I met them they were all naturalized citizens and not foreigners anymore. In school I’d also met some Puerto Ricans, but they weren’t foreigners at all because as the song says, “Nobody knows in America, Puerto Rico’s in America.”

The first real foreigners I met were some Middle Eastern students when I was a freshman. They came from a place I’d never even heard of before. Just a a little more than a decade earlier, in June of 1961, their country had achieved its independence from the same country we’d won our independence from—Britain. We did it with guns. Theirs was peaceful.

I’d been invited into a dorm room to participate in a political discussion. The Kuwatis were nice, well-dressed, and congenial. They weren’t poor, disenfranchised camel drivers. They came from well-to-do families rich from oil revenues. The conversation, when I got there, was why they didn’t like Americans. The one who spoke the most made it very clear: he didn’t hate Jews, he hated Iraelis; he didn’t hate us, but he hated the American government. He and his friends hated us because we were over there and because we were meddling in their affairs.

They said Europeans and Americans had moved in there and taken the best land and had moved the Arabs at gunpoint into camps where they were now refugees. I didn’t believe it for a minute. I knew our country would never stand for that. He likened what we had allowed happen to the Palestinians to what the U.S. did to the Indians, which is why I'd been brought into the discussion. They took the Indians land and expected them to do nothing about it. Of course, from the time Europeans first set foot in the New World, there were four centuries of Indian wars. I felt uncomfortable when he pointed this out, but I didn’t give in. I continued to argue with them. This was more than 30 years ago.

Over the past five years we kept hearing the question, in reference to 9/11: ” why? why? why did they do it?” The official line is that they did it because they hate our freedoms and our democracy. Mortimer Zuckerman, Editor-in-Chief of U.S. News and World Report, refers to “...the so-called root causes of terrorism, alleged to be poverty and despair.” This, despite the fact that many of the hijackers came from middle class or wealthy families—and even Osama bin Laden is himself a multimillionaire.

While we’re trying to figure out why they did it, is anyone listening to what they’re saying? They keep telling us why again and again, but no matter how many times they say it, we keep trying to guess what their real reasons were.

Here’s what they have been saying since at least 1973 when I started boarding school: They did it because we support Israel, because we meddle in their affairs, and because we’re over there. (It may have been Ken Burn’s series on the Civil War where I heard this, but a Yankee soldier is reputed to have asked of a Rebel soldier, “You don’t own any slaves, so why are you fighting?” The rebel’s reply: “Because you’re down here.” Sound familiar?)

Even our so-called friends are trying to tell us why they did it, butwhen they do, we rebuke them. Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal tried to give $10 million to New York, but because he indicated that part of the reason the

terrorists attacked us was because of our policies toward the Palestinians and suggested we change them, Mayor Giuliani of New York City turned the gift down saying, “I entirely reject that statement. There is no moral equivalent for this [terrorist] act. There is no justification for it. The people who did it lost any right to ask for justification for it when they slaughtered 4,000 or 5,000 innocent people.”

Of course, the prince wasn’t justifying the act. As a friend, who is willing to help out, he was telling us the reasons the terrorists did it, but for saying something we don’t want to hear, we figuratively slapped him in the face.

There is not one politician in this country who is publicly willing to entertain the notion that the act was retribution for our foreign policy (though I wonder what they say privately). In fact, any suggestion the attacks came about as a response to U.S. policy is met with immediate censure that borders on censorship. It’s considered unpatriotic to suggest that perhaps the United States government helped bring this on, but the rest of the world knows this is true.

If you don’t like what I’m saying, let me ask one more question: Why did we bomb the Taliban? Is it because they harbored the terrorists and we’re after the terroriststhemselves? If you said yes, fine, but that’s not the reason according to Moslems around the world who have rioted in protest against the United States, gone to war with each other and, most especially against U.S. troops in Iraq. They have a different story.

Just as we insist on maintaining that September 11th was the result of the terrorists hating freedom and democracy, or because they’re poor and in despair—even as they’re telling us why they did it—according to Moslem mobs around the world September 11th has nothing to do with our retaliations. They’re saying we bombed Afghanistan and invaded Iraq because we hate Moslems.

Does that kind of denial sound familiar? It should.

The Lorax

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I agree with most of what you said, the "they hate our freedom" thing is ridiculous. I'm sure they dont really care about how we live, their problem with us is because we're in their bussiness. Which poses the question of why are we in their bussiness, and could we remove ourselves from it? I think the part about us hating Muslims is wrong though, going to war just because we dont like them is a bit extreme.

OP
elder999

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lorax said:
I I think the part about us hating Muslims is wrong though, going to war just because we dont like them is a bit extreme.

Well, it's certainly not what I believe, but I can see them believing it.

After all, it's no more extreme than destroying two office buildings with hijacked planes because you "hate freedom."

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Didn't everyone read Dune?

A big issue was our increasing military presence in Saudi Arabia in the 90s. That put "the infidel" right into the Muslim holy lands. And BTW, we're going to have big problems when the House of Saud falls.

We have to get over our reliance on fossil fuel. It's a limited commodity, and we don't have much of it. We start using ethanol, wind and solar, and the middle east will be irrelevant--just another sandbox. We won't have to be in their face, and they won't have to bomb our buildings.

Of course, that's just the middle east. Multinational corporations (which are truly multinational, and have no loyalty or patriotism to the US, but are identified with the US nevertheless) have a tendency to exploit the people of many other countries as well, and that's not going to help us either. Read "Confessions of an Economic Hitman" for more on this subject.

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Regarding the "terrorism stemming from poverty", there's a Harvard study that claims that there's no correlation between the two, but rather that terrorism stems from the level of political freedom the country enjoys. You can read it here: http://ksghome.harvard.edu/~aabadie/povterr.pdf

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Phoenix44 said:
Didn't everyone read Dune?
Yeah I've read it. So my question to you is... are we the Harkonnens to their Fremen? I'm not sure I like the comparison.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
does anyone who hates americans count as a terrorist?

Latest Discussions