Was Joe Hayes the GOAT of Martial Arts?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Apart from the obvious reply, what's a,GOAT ?

Last edited:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
"Was X the GOAT of martial arts" is an impossibly broad question no matter who you are asking about.

Joe Hayes was a top competitor in the North American TKD and point Karate tournament scene in the late 60s/early 70s. That's impressive, but how do you compare his accomplishments to those of, say, Dan Gable, Muhammad Ali, Buakaw Banchamek, Marcelo Garcia, Miyamoto Musashi, Damian Maia, Georges St-Pierre, Eric Knauss, James Figg, Fedor Emelianenko, and many others who fought or competed under tougher conditions against tougher opponents in different time periods in different contexts?

(For that matter, how would you even compare the folks I just listed against each other? You can plausibly make arguments for GOAT status in a certain discipline and context, but beyond that you are into apples and oranges territory.)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ta Tony. Usually I depend upon Tez to instruct me in the Queen's English! Who would have expected such erudition from a fellow colonial?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"Was X the GOAT of martial arts" is an impossibly broad question no matter who you are asking about.

Joe Hayes was a top competitor in the North American TKD and point Karate tournament scene in the late 60s/early 70s. That's impressive, but how do you compare his accomplishments to those of, say, Dan Gable, Muhammad Ali, Buakaw Banchamek, Marcelo Garcia, Miyamoto Musashi, Damian Maia, Georges St-Pierre, Eric Knauss, James Figg, Fedor Emelianenko, and many others who fought or competed under tougher conditions against tougher opponents in different time periods in different contexts?

(For that matter, how would you even compare the folks I just listed against each other? You can plausibly make arguments for GOAT status in a certain discipline and context, but beyond that you are into apples and oranges territory.)
People often confuse "best" and "greatest" or use them interchangeably. They're not interchangeable terms.

Muhammad Ali was no doubt the greatest boxer of all time. Not a single credible boxing authority would disagree. But most authorities on boxing agree Sugar Ray Robinson was the best boxer of all time. Babe Ruth is considered by many to be the greatest baseball player of all time. Several players have surpassed him in the title of best player of all time.

Greatest is what the person did in and out of the ring. Best means solely what they did in the ring. The two are not one in the same.

Edit: Someone can however be the greatest and best - Michael Jordan and Wayne Gretzky come to mind. But if a player comes around who's considered better by the experts, that won't make that person the greatest.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People often confuse "best" and "greatest" or use them interchangeably. They're not interchangeable terms.

Muhammad Ali was no doubt the greatest boxer of all time. Not a single credible boxing authority would disagree. But most authorities on boxing agree Sugar Ray Robinson was the best boxer of all time. Babe Ruth is considered by many to be the greatest baseball player of all time. Several players have surpassed him in the title of best player of all time.

Greatest is what the person did in and out of the ring. Best means solely what they did in the ring. The two are not one in the same.

Edit: Someone can however be the greatest and best - Michael Jordan and Wayne Gretzky come to mind. But if a player comes around who's considered better by the experts, that won't make that person the greatest.

Just wanted to opine on one of my favorite athletes of all time. Bill Russell.
Michael Jordan was truly great, loved watching him play. But Bill Russell was the GOAT.

Two NCAA championships.
Olympic Gold Medal.
Eleven NBA championships in thirteen years.Eleven...unbelievable. Two of those as player/coach. Some will say you couldn't do player/coach thing today, yeah, well, you couldn't do it back then, either.
Played in ten "Game 7" match ups. 10 and 0.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
The greatest of all time is just a label made up by the media to promote certain fighters, the truth is there's no such thing as the greatest of all time in martial arts because people will always get better and better. Joe Hayes was he a good martial artist? Sure personally I never heard of him but still I'm sure he was good, is there anyone who's better than him? Yes very more then likely. Is there anyone who's better than that guy? Probably yes and it goes on and on

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just wanted to opine on one of my favorite athletes of all time. Bill Russell.
Michael Jordan was truly great, loved watching him play. But Bill Russell was the GOAT.

Two NCAA championships.
Olympic Gold Medal.
Eleven NBA championships in thirteen years.Eleven...unbelievable. Two of those as player/coach. Some will say you couldn't do player/coach thing today, yeah, well, you couldn't do it back then, either.
Played in ten "Game 7" match ups. 10 and 0.
I'll consider the argument of Bill Russell being the BEST. I'll also consider Oscar Robertson and Magic Johnson. Russell's resume is far beyond impeccable, to say the least.

But not GREATEST. No one brought in more viewers, media attention, marketing (think of how many jerseys were sold and what Air Jordan brand is worth). People who had zero interest in basketball became tuned in and bought his stuff. He's a household name. People even know his name and don't know he was a basketball player, somehow.

I didn't grow up in Bill Russell's era, so I can't say for certain that he didn't have everything Jordan had off the court. It's also an unfair comparison, as the media attention wasn't the same.

Until I hear a few credible sources saying Russell was greater than Jordan and why, I'll stick with Jordan.

This coming from a guy who wasn't a Jordan fan at all. I was a Knicks fan (I can't watch them after countless bad moves by the ownership and Isiah Thomas) and MJ killed my hopes of winning a championship too many times. And I really couldn't stand him when he pretty much became bigger than the game. And I'm a die-hard UNC fan, so go figure.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
latest

Martial Arts GOAT

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Interesting approach on these ideas... need to think on that some more.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm still kind of wrapping my head around someone making the jump of someone being the greatest martial artist of all time just because they were really good at playing tag. I mean good on them but it's such a small subset of what martial arts are and can be about.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If we're discussing The GOAT of Martial Arts, it comes down to just two choices.

On the one hand we have the Traditional Martial Arts GOAT....

Remo.jpg

And then there's the Modern Day Martial Arts version...

MasterKen.jpeg

Love to see a GOAT off between them. Probably be awesome.