Want to do more with my heavy bag workout

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok, I'm turning to the prodigious knowledge of the MT crew.

I've got a heavy bag, I try to use it regularly but I don't feel I'm getting enough out of my workouts. I'd like to utlilize my heavy bag workouts as an add-on to my fitness regime that is also more sport specific.

Currently, I'll go down and practice my kicks going through th ebasics doing 20 each side (10 for speed, and 10 for power), maybe practicing favorite combos. I'll do soemthing similar with hands practicing jab, cross, hook, uppercut, ridge hand, etc. Soemtimes I'll just improvise combos...maybe do some tabatta style intervals .

I'd like to build soem good 20 minute routines that'll help me target things like my speed, power, fluidity...and still get a good MetCon blast. Jus tlook for siggestions, :)

Peace,
Erik

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Go 3 1 minute rounds, full blast, no stopping, hands and feet. then in 2 weeks, 3 2 minute rounds. then 3 3 minute rounds. you will build up cardio and piece together combinations better.

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've done stuff like that...but I was hoping on some suggestions on how to "structure" my rounds for better skill practice. I feel liek I'm kinda improvaising and I'm not sure I'm doing myself any favors.

Peace,
Erik

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Think of your two or three favourite kicks, the ones you do a lot in your workouts, then try a round or two of not using them. For example, no roundhouse or front kicks. You will start to see how other kicks, the ones you don't do very often, can be used.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is a routine I start about two months before competing and it helps me with all my kicks.

Start out with doing fast kick switching between kick and then right into nack leg roundhouse switching between every two kicks and then go to Autobahn turning roundhoude no switching bit adding either the fast kick or another back leg roundhouse it helps with timing and conditioning the legs.

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What type of bag do you have (Hanging or standing)? They both have their pluses and minuses.

Imua Kuntao

Green Belt
Reaction score
Have you heard of step up kicking? With your right foot forward (front stance) bringning your left foot up to your right/shifting your weight and turning your left foot when you step forward then kicking with the right foot/leg (front/roundhouse/side kick), bringing it back down to original position then stepping back with the left foot, repeating quickly for say 1 and 1/2 minutes each leg with each kick til you build more endurance. This kind of trainning is used by many good fighters and students of teachers like Jhoon Rhee.

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
With a hanging bag I do all the fight scenario type things like you're doing. I will assume you can adjust your bag height and that bag is not overly heavy or hard as this generally leads to injury. I would use techniques against a swinging bag.

Start by kicking the bag going away (retreating opponent) ie: have a partner hold the bag towards you and strike the bag when your partner lets it go(Higher to lower).

Once you get to where your holder isn't holding your going to be hitting a bag coming at you (attacking opponent) ie: have a partner hold the bag away from you and strike the bag once it dropped (Lower to Higher).

Once you've mastered the off the line techniques use retreating and entering footwork to sharpen your technique.

You'll be able to use this training pattern with most techniques thrown to the body.

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
Try these. Stand just far enough away to reach your kick (Be it front , side, round) about 4" to 6" into it's center. With no power for feeling the range so you just get a little shove. Then pop each kick into the bag enough to get it to swing (The higher the bag is suspended the more it will swing, so I hope it is not suspended too high as this will cause the bag to run) as the bag kinda pendulums back to it's center from gravity, pop it again, do not let it settle. Work this from each lead & rear leg attacks. If you train Boxing techniques or solid hand strikes, start to jab while encircling the bag. (Do not hit it from the same angle/direction twice) Try a circling triple jab followed by a cross what have you. If you train knee strikes, stand near the center of the bag pushing it out a little so gravity wants to bring it back into where you are, and cycle knee strikes into it and do not let it take it'[s center back, this can help with infighting, clinch work & giving an opponent pressure. This can also be done working body shots using boxing tech's, but be aware not to throw your hands from the hip leaving your head exposed. (A typical mistake when people work body punches) Fire criss cross elbows using you hips for pivot power (Do not throw your elbows with only arm movement, and if your bag is canvas, beware scrapping your elbows into a scab covered uzing mess:)) Hope this gives you something fun to work. PEACE JIMI