Vote: Reorganized Reputation System.

What should I do with the rep system?

• 1- Leave it as it is.

• 2- Reset it to zero, and restart it under new rules.

• 3- Drop it entirely.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Leave it as it is..If SOMEONE dislikes it OR has a problem with it they can simply opt NOT to participate...

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anyone against?

Speaking as a mathematician, I had the same thought...the second and third options make sense as separate possibilities, yet, they also serve to split the "change it" vote.

my own experience on this board has been that decision-making at the top level is fair.

Yeah, I agree. But Ella's comment is about something that might have been overlooked--an inadvertent splitting of one "side" of the matter.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
looking around though, there isnt a whole lot of red rep out there, so who's complaining?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blotan Hunka said:
looking around though, there isnt a whole lot of red rep out there, so who's complaining?

Here ya go...

Ella said:
It wasn't meant to be an "I'm leaving" or "I'm infuriated" type post....

its just, to me, to a newer user, when EVERYONE has yellow dots, its hard to tell who are the more "respected" users. I mean, yellow is a pretty big deal elsewhere, but here, it's like I have to actually get to know the people before I decide whether or not their worth their weight in salt.

Ella

<B>Banned User - Multiple Accounts / Previously Ba
Reaction score
just so there's no confusion, that last bit was meant as a joke - but I still think it's a very real problem. If the point of reputation is supposed to tell newer users who are some of the more respected users, its inflated too much to be any actual use. Unless you stop to count. But its turning into constelations and fields of yellow.

It an ugly yellow, too.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
just so there's no confusion, that last bit was meant as a joke - but I still think it's a very real problem. If the point of reputation is supposed to tell newer users who are some of the more respected users, its inflated too much to be any actual use. Unless you stop to count. But its turning into constelations and fields of yellow.

It an ugly yellow, too.

If someone has a "field of yellow" does it really matter if it is 8 stars or 12? ... Seems they are both to be considered well respected .... just my two cents.

Ella

Reaction score
...EVERYONE has fields of yellow.

I mean, come on. Look at me, for instance. I have less than 3 years of training in the martial arts, I'm less than 25 years old... I still live at home for godsakes.

It's probably a safe bet that I don't know anything... about anything...

But you have two moderators rep you once for something clever you said, and look what you get?

I dont need to be walking around doing 96 points of damage, because my opinion really shouldn't be worth that much.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I say keep it. While my rep score is right near the bottom of the list of things I worry about, I'm still enough of a karma whore that I'll spend an extra moment or two to soften a strongly-worded opinion to avoid the ding. There are some who have chosen to disable reps in order to speak more freely, and from what I've seen it would be an ugly thing indeed if the system was done away with altogether.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I mean, come on. Look at me, for instance. I have less than 3 years of training in the martial arts, I'm less than 25 years old... I still live at home for godsakes.

But you have two moderators rep you once for something clever you said, and look what you get?

I dont need to be walking around doing 98 points of damage, because my opinion really shouldn't be worth that much.
Why? Do you think age and experience are the only things worth listening to? I learn so much from my students - who range in age from 12 to 44, and in rank from white belt to black belt - should I not listen to them because they are younger than I am, or have less experience? Does that make their opinion meaningless?

As has been said to you before, if you don't like the reputation system, turn your rep off and ignore it - that's your choice. But don't put yourself down because of your perceived lack of meaningful experience - instead, think about how much more you've done than most others. How many people your age have been training in MA for over 2 years? Too many people put down their own abilities because someone else is better - but what good does that do? Someone will always be bigger, stronger, faster, higher ranked, whatever... Instead of belittling yourself, own what you have done.

Ella

Reaction score
As has been said to you before, if you don't like the reputation system, turn your rep off and ignore it - that's your choice.

You have to pay to turn your rep off, and if more people don't like it than do, there should be a change. It's kind of unfair to have 10% of the people like it and 90% be told to ignore it. I'm not saying the numbers are 10/90, but we dont really know until we take the poll, do we?

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You have to pay to turn your rep off, and if more people don't like it than do, there should be a change. It's kind of unfair to have 10% of the people like it and 90% be told to ignore it. I'm not saying the numbers are 10/90, but we dont really know until we take the poll, do we?
Well then, to be completely fair, we should weight the poll so that the points refelct how long someone has been on the forum, right? :p

Ella

Reaction score
should I not listen to them because they are younger than I am, or have less experience? Does that make their opinion meaningless?
Not meaningless. But taken with a grain of salt. Communism is good in theory, right? But it never works in real life. If I've never experienced communism or learned about those who have, I might be convinced communism was the way to go. Because I lack the experience.

All I have on most things, is theory. But I don't know what I don't know...

But don't put yourself down because of your perceived lack of meaningful experience - instead, think about how much more you've done than most others. How many people your age have been training in MA for over 2 years? Too many people put down their own abilities because someone else is better - but what good does that do? Someone will always be bigger, stronger, faster, higher ranked, whatever... Instead of belittling yourself, own what you have done.

My lack of experience isn't perceived. I'm young and I haven't done ****. That's just the way it is. I've never had to support myself, never had to live on my own, always had a safety net. I do own up to what I have done. I don't think I'm worthless or my opinions don't matter. I just try very hard to see things the way they are. At this point in my life I'm doing the learning, not the teaching.

Ella

Reaction score
Well then, to be completely fair, we should weight the poll so that the points refelct how long someone has been on the forum, right? :p

Hey, arnisador doesn't like it either, and he's been on the forum since the dawn of time. He'll average out my newbie-ness.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I dont need to be walking around doing 96 points of damage, because my opinion really shouldn't be worth that much.

The thing you seem to be missing here, is that moderators don't have high rep because they're moderators - people with high rep are respected by many of the posters on MT, which is why they are asked to become members of the staff, as mentors or moderators. High rep numbers don't come from being staff members - MT members (who are, by the way, all volunteers) are asked to serve as staff because of the opinions of others on the forum - and rep is one way that those opinions are expressed, but hardly the only way.

If you don't like it, and you can't turn it off, then ignore it. Rep is intended to be fun, and to let people know whose opinions are appreciated - but IMHO, it's just not worth getting your knickers in a knot over it.

Ella

Reaction score
Moderators don't have high rep because they're moderators - people with high rep are respected by many of the posters on MT, which is why they are asked to become members of the staff, as mentors or moderators. High rep numbers don't come from being staff members(...)

You dont think its a good possibility that moderators get more rep points, possibly from users hoping to make a good impression? Or, the flipside, they dont get negatively repped as much, because a member doesn't want to risk the "wrath" of a mod?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folks,

We had a thread on rep that was recently closed. This thread is starting to go down that same path. Bob posted a poll. Please feel free to click on your selection. If you have another idea that you'd like to share, then feel free to do so. If its going to turn into what the other thread did, that is not going to get us anywhere. We're here to come up with a solution, not argue back and forth.

Mike Slosek
MT Asst. Admin

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The rep system's been in effect here since vBulletin made it a standard part of the software something like 5 years or so ago. We've also added a non-standard addon to extend the display a bit.

It's currently setup as follows:
Default Reputation: 10
Reputation Undefined: is off the scale
Number of Reputation Ratings to Display: 15
Number of Reputation Given comments to display: 10
Administrator's Reputation Power: follow the same rules as everyone else.

Register Date Factor: 365
For every X number of days, users gain point of reputation-altering power.

Post Count Factor: 1,000
For every X number of posts, users gain point of reputation-altering power.

Reputation Point Factor: 100
For every X points of reputation, users gain point of reputation-altering power.

Minimum Post Count: 50
How many posts must a user have before his reputation hits count on others?

Minimum Reputation Count: 10
How much reputation must a user have before his reputation hits count on others?

Daily Reputation Clicks Limit: 10
How many reputation clicks can a user give over each 24 hour period? Administrators are exempt from this limit.

Reputation User Spread: 10
How many different users must you give reputation to before you can hit the same person again? Administrators are exempt from this limit.

Extended Reputation Enabled

Extended Reputation Newline- yes
Seperate the high value stars and the standard pips with a line break.

Extended Reputation Dark Green Count: 5
The maximum number of dark green pips to display before moving onto the next level.

Extended Reputation Dark Green Value: 150
The value of each dark green pip in the extended reputation display.

Extended Reputation Light Green Count: 5
The maximum number of light green pips to display before moving onto the next level.

Extended Reputation Light Green Value: 250
The value of each light green pip in the extended reputation display.

Extended Reputation Golden Count: 10
The maximum number of golden pips to display before moving onto the next level.

Extended Reputation Gold Value: 800
The value of each golden pip in the extended reputation display.

Reputation Delete Time (Seconds): 300
Time Limit in which users can delete their own reputation comments, set to zero to disable.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You dont think its a good possibility that moderators get more rep points, possibly from users hoping to make a good impression? Or, the flipside, they dont get negatively repped as much, because a member doesn't want to risk the "wrath" of a mod?

No, I don't. You are, of course, welcome to your own opinion - but if your surmise was the truth, then Bob Hubbard - who owns and operates this forum - would have considerably more rep than anyone else, as would the admins and super mods, who are farther up the chain than the mods and senior mods... and they don't, no matter how much they may deserve it (and they do deserve it), because they spend more time maintaining the board than posting on it.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK here goes my view on all this ****:

1) The rep. system is not perfect and is no way ever going to be perfect so why would we change something that somewhere down the line somebody else will not like and then we are at this again. If you do not wish to play the GAME and I mean GAME then disable your system and leave well enough alone.

2) AGE has nothing to do with knowledge, I know some 13 years old that have been training for 10 years and can explain the proper way of kicking better that some instructor that have been teaching for thirty years and we all know them.

3) This is the most inportant statement of them all and here come the negative reps to me and I welcome all of them. quit whinning and crying and bitching about a system that some of us have been involved with for a long time, I get rep. mainly for my comments even though my spelling sucks and I rarely use spell check, my point get across. Those that I rep deserve what I can give and alot more. For all you newbies that have this hang-up to bad to sad, disable your system and continue to post like normal if the star hurt your eyes then always look to the left where there are none and it will not brother you.

I FOR ONE WANT WHAT I HAVE EARNED FROM MY FELLOW MARTIAL ARTIST AND FRIENDS AND ENEMIES HERE ON MT. I TAKE THE BAD WITH THE GOOD AND GO ON WITH MY LIFE AND SO SHOULD EVERYBODY ELSE HERE.

If you are upset over what I said grow up and be an adult about life. Things happen everyday that just piss us off, but we manage to keep going so keep going here.

Bob I want mine to stay the same if you change it PLEASE KEEP MINE I earned it and want it.

Terry Stoker
The one that can look pass a rep system and continue with my day.