Use leg to block a roundhouse kick

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When you use your leg to block your opponent's roundhouse kick, whoever has strong shin bone will win. When your leg hits on your opponent's leg, it will be too late to pull it back. The issue is how will you know that whether your shin bone is harder than your opponent's shin bone, or the other way around?

What's your opinion on this?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Horrifying video.

I try not to block kicks with kicks. I threw a roundhouse sparring one night and my opponent blocked with his shin. It is 4 years later, I still have a small sore spot on my shin.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I try not to block kicks with kicks. I threw a roundhouse sparring one night and my opponent blocked with his shin. It is 4 years later, I still have a small sore spot on my shin.
IMO, the worst situation can be your opponent uses his sharp elbow joint to meet your roundhouse kick. The issue is how do you avoid that (leg meets leg, or elbow joint meets leg)? If you have committed your roundhouse kick, you may not be able to predict how your opponent may block your kick. Does this mean that all roundhouse kicks are risky?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IMO, the worst situation can be your opponent uses his sharp elbow joint to meet your roundhouse kick. The issue is how do you avoid that (leg meets leg, or elbow joint meets leg)? If you have committed your roundhouse kick, you may not be able to predict how your opponent may block your kick. Does this mean that all roundhouse kicks are risky?

Martial arts is risky.

In general, I don't worry about a person dropping their elbow on my kick. Never had it happen, but I guess it could. My roundhouse isn't thrown very high though.

In a fight, I doubt I'd throw a roundhouse at all. I like to be inside, crowding and working body combinations. If I throw a kick at all, it's probably going to be to their inner calves, thighs, knees, groin, etc.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Absolutely! Bingo!

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
IMO the key to blocking your opponent's roundhouse with your shin is to jam their kick. Get it their and make contact before they've picked up enough velocity/momentum. As you're closing in with the shin block, start throwing punches. You're moving in with the shin block; not letting their kick come to you like a boxer covering up and taking punches on his arms instead of his head. If he's fully committed to the kick, his defense and ability to recover usually isn't as strong as it normally is.

As usual, so much easier said than done.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The roundhouse is only as risky as your opponent's ability to deal with them.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends on the shape your leg is making at the time as to which is the strongest structure.

The video is a cross check. Which has the odds in favor of the blocking leg.

You can do a lazy check which does not raise the leg off the ground. But just angles the knee towards the kick.

TietKiu3

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I guess for the iside low roundhouse, the kicker would want to kick with lower shin/instep, and you would want to block with upper shin. The upper shin will always win.

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't see why a leg block wouldn't work. I would condition your shins but personally I condition every thing on my body for fighting. If someone through a roundhouse kick at me I would shuffle back, side step, or leg block. Definitely not arm block unless that what my only option and at least not until my arms are conditioned. These are all my opinions though-- I am no professional fighter yet but I do have about 5 years of training in Taekwondo and am getting a black belt in October 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say that was less of a 'roundhouse' and more of a MT kick which means a difference defence is needed as they are performed differently. MT kicks are often shin blocked, roundhouse not so much.
I was watching this one, ( the noise of the bones breaking was awful) the ref is Grant Waterman who has also reffed for UFC here, the fighter with the broken leg didn't fight again and Ross the other one stopped fighting after a couple of fights after.

TietKiu3

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't see why a leg block wouldn't work. I would condition your shins but personally I condition every thing on my body for fighting. If someone through a roundhouse kick at me I would shuffle back, side step, or leg block. Definitely not arm block unless that what my only option and at least not until my arms are conditioned. These are all my opinions though-- I am no professional fighter yet but I do have about 5 years of training in Taekwondo and am getting a black belt in October 2016.

In hung ga, for a roundhouse we would

A. Step in and around and use low bong sao (arm block) to the thigh (
I don't agree with his bong sao against the roundhouse. He should have moved into the part of the leg where there is no power)
B. Step back
C. Take it ( the least desirable one)

As for a low MT roundhouse to the thigh

Inside - use upper shin against kicker's lower shin

Outside - raise knee

I remember my sifu's training brother (my sibaak) saying

'Hey! We're doing low kick defenses in class tonight. Let me see which ones we should train'

Me - (I had an injured right knee, and it just about healed then) Ok
Si baak - which knee is messed up?
Me - the right one
Sibaak - throw a left round kick to my thigh
I throw the kick, and he raises his knee, smashong his knee into the side of my knee cap.
'At least we know it works' he says.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kick weak areas instead of hard bones. :)
Set up to be sure his/her leg stays on the ground. Use a variety of low kicks and feints, so the defence is difficulted. Or kick the nerve far from the knee (worst target, but safer).

As for defence, I try to anticipate and get the kicker out of balance (weak kick) or 'run away' and, eventually, receive the kick when it is weak again. Use punches to 'weaken' opponent kicks. Must of Muay Thai fighters just absorb it on the body, arm or shin...!

Other detail would require video and / or sparring. I hope it helps.

PS: After seeing the last video... I absolutely do not recommend that kind of defences. It is the reaction I want to punch you. Arms are weaker than shins. Boxers and untrained people already do it. And if I start a quick like that, from nothing, it is a set up / feint for punches. I kick from the punch distance... (Perhaps someone can make it works. I would believe it after unsuccessful sparring from my side.)

Last edited:

TietKiu3

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

In hung ga, for a roundhouse we would

A. Step in and around and use low bong sao (arm block) to the thigh (
I don't agree with his bong sao against the roundhouse. He should have moved into the part of the leg where there is no power)
B. Step back
C. Take it ( the least desirable one)

As for a low MT roundhouse to the thigh

Inside - use upper shin against kicker's lower shin

Outside - raise knee

I remember my sifu's training brother (my sibaak) saying

'Hey! We're doing low kick defenses in class tonight. Let me see which ones we should train'

Me - (I had an injured right knee, and it just about healed then) Ok
Si baak - which knee is messed up?
Me - the right one
Sibaak - throw a left round kick to my thigh
I throw the kick, and he raises his knee, smashong his knee into the side of my knee cap.
'At least we know it works' he says.

TietKiu3

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Kick weak areas instead of hard bones. :)
Set up to be sure his/her leg stays on the ground. Use a variety of low kicks and feints, so the defence is difficulted. Or kick the nerve far from the knee (worst target, but safer).

As for defence, I try to anticipate and get the kicker out of balance (weak kick) or 'run away' and,

PS: After seeing the last video... I absolutely do not recommend that kind of defences. It is the reaction I want to punch you. Arms are weaker than shins. Boxers and untrained people already do it. And if I start a quick like that, from nothing, it is a set up / feint for punches. I kick from the punch distance... (Perhaps someone can make it works. I would believe it after unsuccessful sparring from my side.)

I don't either. That is not how you should use it against a roundhouse. For the linear kicks, it is quitw a bit easier.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
When you use your leg to block your opponent's roundhouse kick, whoever has strong shin bone will win. When your leg hits on your opponent's leg, it will be too late to pull it back. The issue is how will you know that whether your shin bone is harder than your opponent's shin bone, or the other way around?

What's your opinion on this?

Couldn't a similar thing happen if you blocked with your arm or hand? I was under the impression that it is better (not to mention easier) to block low kicks with your legs than your arms because your legs are generally stronger and able to withstand the impact better. That said, I've never tried to block a full power roundhouse kick before.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Couldn't a similar thing happen if you blocked with your arm or hand? I was under the impression that it is better (not to mention easier) to block low kicks with your legs than your arms because your legs are generally stronger and able to withstand the impact better. That said, I've never tried to block a full power roundhouse kick before.

Yes a decent round kick will break your arm if you just plonk it out there.

If I was inclined to try to block a low kick with my arm I would catch it.

Last edited:

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You kick with your lower shin and/or instep, and you block with your upper shin or knee. It's pretty caking obvious which part is thicker. This is why you step up the kick with other strikes.
And no, whoever has the best reaction and strategy wins, not bone density.